My review for EA Cricket 2005 Xbox uk.

imran786

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hi. This is my first post, I'm a huge cricket enthusiast and very keen on cricket games.

My XBOX Cricket 2005 arrived today and I have now been playing it all day long. I thought I'd write a review for fellow members. I have been waiting for a decent cricket game ever since I last played Brian Lara cricket on the playstation 1, I've never played a cricket game since then (many years ago I know) and this is the first cricket game that ive played, i've also ordered Brian Lara. Anyway my review.

Firstly I think that those people who had completely written off this game were being harsh. The game isn't going to blow you away, I admit, but it isn't as bad as people have made it out to be. It's challenging but one is left with the feeling that it could have been so much better. I cant help but feel that both BLC and Cric2005 are both going to be anti-climaxes and both games wont fulfill the desires of hardcore fans like me.

Batting in Cricket 2005 is decent but nothing exceptional, it is demanding but the array of shots are nothing to shout home about. One has to rely on coming down the wicket often or using the six hit button to even have any chance of getting a 4 consistently, either the timing has been exceptionally hard or hitting 4's isnt Ea's staple. I'm an old fashioned guy and i love my "stay on the ground" 4s but sadly one has to take the "aerial route" to have a chance of getting a 4. Perhaps im not good at the timing yet, I dont know but its frustrating.

The grounds seem so small! even at Lords the ground just seems small and this DOES take the buzz out of the game as either a fileder stops the ball or he is never going to win the race to the boundary as it zips way. Richie Benauds comemtary is so dull and unexciting. Whenever you hit a six or get a wicket Benaud shows no emotion - this does hurt the game. I'd rather have a tony grieg commentating. Running between the wickets is super fast! this kills realism and hurts the game. Also the batsman put his feet past the crease way too often instead of the bat.

Overall batting is decent but due to the above mentioned factors it isnt going to blow you away. I'd say bowling is more fun and rewarding but nothing brilliant. Another furstrating point is that EA seem to have a rush job on player looks particulary for India and Pakistan. Inzimam looks like a 20 yrl old slim model! and afridi doesnt look like the real afridi whereas pollock,ntini and the rest of the white folk are picture perfect and look like the real thing(im not being racist here) - this also hurts the game.

Overall its an average game, not a bad game by any means but we are in the 2005, with powerful consoles and we still cant make a truly rewarding cricket game. EA have tried but I know that many fans wont be satisfied. Im content with the game but not overly satisfied. And Brian Lara seems like its going to be an anti climax too so I guess both games will be let down for true cricket fans whilst casual gamers might enjoy it for a while.

summary

Graphics: 6.5 (6.5 as EA have spent 2 minutes on designing the looks of the Pakistani/Indian teams and 2 months on the rest also all batsmen facing deliveries look the same no matter who they are- usual EA slick presentation regatrding stats etc)

Gameplay : 6.5(decent batting and decent bowling but thats about it - both elements arn't rewarding enough and nothing revolutionary)

longevity : 6 (again - due to average gameplay it just doesnt feel like a game that you'll be playing for months and loving it)

Overall 6.5.

Not as bad as people haev made it out to be but nothing revolutionary or rewarding for serious cricket gamers. It could have been so muich better and personally i am left dissapointed a little. It could have been the "pro evolution soccer" of cricket but it doesnt do the business entirely when it comes to gameplay.

waleed123

School Cricketer
I told u that again it will be a game for the white not for Asians

JANER

Club Cricketer
Imran it is easy enough to get 4's along the ground, just aim for the gaps.
I gave this game 8/10 few weeks ago but now I would even touch to 9/10
Longer u play it more u discover/learn

Users who are viewing this thread