2011 Victory Better Than 1983 Win?

Which Indian WC victory was more convincing?

• Total voters

The Rock

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, The Rock™ aint saying this, its the '83 WC Winning Captain, Kapil Dev! He said that this victory was better because the present team > the '83 team. I agree with that point but, defending just 183 against the mighty Windies consisting the likes of Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, etc was really unbelievable! Whats your say?

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Definitely 1983 IMO.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think this was possibly more important to india. They've been waiting a long time in taking up a dominant position in cricket, and this was the culmination of that. They've had the players for a long time, but it was important for them to finally get over the line and deliver with those players.

it wasn't a more spectacular win though, it was just finally living up to expectations.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Definitely 1983 IMO.

Right on :thumbs

Seems strange to say, but this World Cup didn't really have any good teams. Every team had a flaw, if not 2 and all the top teams were exposed at some point with at least one loss. So India winning this one means a bit less in my view, because they just imploded less than the other teams.

In 1983 though, the West Indies were a juggernaut and India beat them twice in that WC.

JD10

International Cricketer
TBH, they were both great in there own ways. The 2011 win was great because of how the Indians handled all the pressure they all could of easily folded. I don't know much about the 1983 win so that is my view on the 2011 win. :thumbs

King Cricket

International Coach
1983 was more special in the sense that, 28 years back, the Indian team had just started to learn the tricks of the trade and was not even half as powerful as they are now. Despite lacking in experience and skills, we could defeat the likes of Australia, West Indies, and England comprehensively, and clinch the final by holding our nerves and bowling incredibly well after being skittled out for 183. The campaign was unbelievable for a minnow team which India was at that time. The victory also marked the beginning of an age where cricket replaced hockey as the most followed sport of the country. You can say that 1983 marked the beginning of modern Indian cricket.

Last edited:

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
I'll take this one because I had the opportunity to watch it.

Historically, the 83 win was probably a better win just because it came against all odds.

That said, we don't know how this win will affect Indian cricket in the future. If it leads to a period of domination (like the Aussies managed between 1999 and 2007) then it may well be a better victory historically as well.

harishankar

Panel of Selectors
India
CSK
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
83 was probably slightly better in terms of pure cricketing analysis because it was a team that over-performed above its potential, but 2011 is huge because it came on the back of high expectations, huge pressure of playing at home, the media glare and the mental toughness required to go through some really tense, tight games.

It was a different game back then. Slower paced, a bit more of a sporting, friendly atmosphere and definitely not as physically demanding as it is now.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'll take this one because I had the opportunity to watch it.

Historically, the 83 win was probably a better win just because it came against all odds.

That said, we don't know how this win will affect Indian cricket in the future. If it leads to a period of domination (like the Aussies managed between 1999 and 2007) then it may well be a better victory historically as well.

Highly unlikely that will happen IMO, especially with the quick bowling resources i see comign through. But yes we shall see.

This article on BBC sport the other day speaks well on the matter BBC - Oliver Brett: India's turn to dominate world cricket?

That schedule for the remainder of the year alone makes IND risk losing their ICC # 1 ranking. JESUS i think that is most over-packed scheduled i have ever seen any team for 1 year of cricket.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Well they certainly have the opportunity to take control. Personally, I don't think we'll reach the level of Aussie ODI domination ever, but this is the best opportunity to do so.

chiranjitpathak

School Cricketer
1983 has to be better because they beat the might West Indies then . This time every time was more or less equal. But this team is better than the 83 , not only because they were seen as the favorite for this tournament but also for the fact that they have been performing well for the last 2-3 years. After the 83 victory the next series they played was at home against West Indies and lost 5-0, this is not going to happen this time say when India tour England.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I will keep it short and simple. Both the victories were special in their own ways, but 2011 one is better than 83 as the expectations this time were sky high with ample of pressure on the players.

Agreed that in 83 we were the underdogs and defeated the mighty Windies in the final and so that victory is great, but still this one stands better.

chiranjitpathak

School Cricketer
I will keep it short and simple. Both the victories were special in their own ways, but 2011 one is better than 83 as the expectations this time were sky high with ample of pressure on the players.

Agreed that in 83 we were the underdogs and defeated the mighty Windies in the final and so that victory is great, but still this one stands better.

Maybe this is better but 83 was much tougher and unexpected as that team was not as strong as this one.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Both are great in their own ways. If in 83, we beat the mighty West Indies who were overwhelming favorites, we also had the underdog tag which helped us. In 2011, if we had the favorites tag, we also had a very weak bowling attack and the humongous pressure of playing in front of our home crowd and dealing with the monstrous expectations and all. So I would rate both wins equally special.

Users who are viewing this thread