80s "Fantasy" Test League - battle of the all rounders: contains video of best AI ball of all time

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
After a snafu relating to AI bouncer wides, I've re-restarted. I set up the same initial schedule, so again started with Sri Lanka playing away at West Indies.

West Indies and Sri Lanka didn't face each other in the early 80s, so I didn't have a "real" lineup to copy. I've used the West Indies line up vs Zimbabwe in the 1983 World Cup, on the grounds of it being a realistic team vs "minnows". The only change is to switch out Winston Davis to bring in Frankly Stephenson.

For Sri Lanka, I've used the 1983 World Cup line-up vs England as a base, but changing to keep in players such as Bandula Warnapura, Mahes Goonatilleke, and Anura Ranasinghe - players that were part of their early 80s lineup until they went on the Rebel tour.

Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bat. A large part of the morning was lost to rain, but this is how it stands at tea.

lKUjaO7.jpg

TIVzoIo.jpg

Warnapura holding the innings together so far, and will hope to get support from Madugalle and Ranatunga, the stars of the battig lineup, before a few all rounders and then the tail. For the West Indies, Holding has been the pick with 2/26, and Daniel has picke dup the other wicket but been expensive.

96/3 at tea represents a solid start for Sri Lanka. With plenty of bad weather still around, West Indies will have to force the issue to get the expected result.[DOUBLEPOST=1565282281][/DOUBLEPOST]why on earth has m i n n o w s ended up censored? minnows? really.

Reactions: DAP

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Bowled all out for 190 first ball after lunch on day 2. Due to time lost for rain this was 79.1 overs.

Already had a caught behind not given when bowling... looking up at the sky and hoping for rain

Reactions: DAP

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
West Indies finished up 81 ahead, just before tea on day 3. Clive Lloyd last man out for 74 trying to slog the spinner but scooping it up for a catch at forward square leg.

Other dismissals shared by the seamers, 3 apiece for Ratnayeke, Ramanayeke and De Mel. 3 bowled, 3 keeper catches, 2 lbw and a slip catch.

I lost Warnapura in the first over without scoring and then 2nd over had a reprieve when Goonatilleke was given not out for an edge behind. Dias also went cheaply leaving me reeling on 4/2. But Goonatilleke and Mendis have steadied the ship with a 50 partnership.

20-odd behind, 2 wickets down and an hour or so left on day 3. Rain forecast for day 5.

Also this started as a day 2 pitch so batting last will be tricky. If I bat well there could be a major upset.

Big IF!

Users who are viewing this thread