20th Match, Group F: Australia v Sri Lanka at Bridgetown

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australia head into this match as the raging hot favourite to take out the tournament after demolishing India in their previous match and the continual fall of South Africa. Sri Lanka suffered an early loss to New Zealand before taking care of Zimbabwe and West Indies.

The battle everyone is looking forward to is the clash between the formidable pace trio of Johnson, Tait and Nannes against the red hot Mahela Jayawardene. If Jayawardene can keep his form going, he will go a long way to setting up a win for Sri Lanka and may well secure himself the player of the tournament. However a big knock by Jayawardene does not guarantee a win for Sri Lanka as they found out in the New Zealand match where they only managed 135 with 60% of that coming from Jayawardene’s 81 off 51 balls.

Australia are running like clockwork with a few improvements to make them running on all cylinders. Cameron White is still yet to fire a shot in this tournament, and Mitchell Johnson was far from 100% in the win against India. Once again spin will play a key factor in the Australian batting and they will come up against the tricky Mendis and his new partner in crime, Suraj Randiv. Cricinfo noted an interesting stat where Australia have won five out of their six games where Clarke hasn’t batted in a T20I.

The opening duos in in the batting and bowling will go a long way to deciding the outcome. And if Dilshan ever decides to fire a shot, then the Sri Lankan batting starts to look very dangerous.

Key Players

For Australia: As usual the openers and the pace trio will be the key players for Australia, as has been the case throughout the tournament.

For Sri Lanka: Mahela Jayawardene is obviously the man Australia want to get out early but they won’t want to forget Kumar Sangakkara. While Dilshan is in poor form, Australia will not want to be the team that gets him back in form. On the bowling front the unorthodox pace/spin combo of Malinga and Mendis will be the ones the Australian batsmen keep a firm eye on.

Key Matchups

Mahela Jayawardene vs Pace Trio: As mentioned earlier in my article, this matchup will be Jayawardene biggest test in this tournament so far.

Malinga vs Watson: Shane Watson has shown a weakness for hitting his pull shot in the air and he has been out from it a number of times recently. Malinga has the pace to extract the bounce that the Indian bowler’s couldn’t.

Australian batsmen vs Randiv, Mendis: I know I sound like a broken record when including the Australian batsmen vs spin but it will always be a factor until we start taking care of the spinners more consistently.

Likely lineups

The only concern in the Australian camp is over the elbow of Johnson. If he isn’t quite right, Ryan Harris has shown to be a more than useful replacement.

Australia: 1. David Warner, 2. Shane Watson, 3. Michael Clarke (c), 4. David Hussey, 5. Cameron White, 6. Brad Haddin (wk), 7. Michael Hussey, 8. Steven Smith, 9. Mitchell Johnson, 10. Dirk Nannes, 11. Shaun Tait.

Sri Lanka will need to make at least one change from their last match against the West Indies, with Muralitharan out of the tournament through injury. Suraj Randiv will more than likely get the nod given Australia’s struggles against spin and his batting is more than useful. The Jayasuriya experiment didn’t work too well which might see Dilshan back at the top.

Sri Lanka:
1. Tillakaratne Dilshan, 2. Mahela Jayawardene, 3. Kumar Sangakkara (c, wk), 4. Chamara Kapugedera, 5. Sanath Jayasuriya, 6. Angelo Mathews, 7. Thissara Perera, 8. Suraj Randiv, 9. Nuwan Kulasekara, 10. Lasith Malinga, 11. Ajantha Mendis

PlanetCricket World Twenty20 – Sri Lanka vs Australia preview

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I back Australia here. More so from the Indian perspective. Cant see Australia losing to West Indies, so as well let them win this one too and COMFORTABLY by a good margin. If India beat WI, Australia's win here might help us.

Mike23

Associate Cricketer
I just hope SL doesn't lose by a huge margin, my line-up:-

1.Tillakaratne Dilshan
2.Mahela Jayawardene
3.Kumar Sangakkara(C,WK)
4.Angelo Mathews
5.Chamara Kapugedera
6.Dinesh Chandimal
7.Sanath Jayasuriya
8.Suraj Randiv
9.Thilan Thushara
10.Ajantha Mendis
11.Lasith Malinga

aus_maestro

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Will be interesting to see Jayawardena against our attack. He's due a fail anyway.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Won the toss and batting first again, still yet to do some chasing so if we win this game we might have to test that out next game.

aussie1st added 8 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Won't be seeing a Watson 50, that all seem to happen in slow motion.
Haddin promoted to 3, Clarke has a lot of faith in him. Not the worst move, he is a guy that needs time to get in before he launches the big ones.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah at the same time you would like all your players in some sort of form. You cant expect batsmen to come out and bat for the first time in the tournament when your team needs 40 of the last 4 overs or so..

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Some good touch on offer from Haddin so far.

angryangy added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

But he throws it away. Australia really need a partnership to form.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good start by SL, Haddin had the hit out or get out approach. Clarke now in, guess we need a bit of steadying so in you go just don't go too slow!

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Warner really struggled to make 9, but it still took a brilliant catch to remove him.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Poor innings by Warner, just never looked comfortable and thought its time to hit myself out of trouble.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I was thinking this might be a job for Mike Hussey. They must have misheard my thought. Real trouble now.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Sri Lanka - finish it off today and let us (Indians) eject our mind from this tournament.

Users who are viewing this thread