2nd Test: Australia v England at The Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, 5-9 Dec

Owzat

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
aussies go in 1-0 up, England now very much worried about their batting as they failed to register 200 in either innings and without Trott.

Selection issues include who to replace Trott with, much talk of including Stokes although the five bowler approach in 06/07 with Flintoff filling that role resulted in a 0-5 whitewash

England are nearly done on their two day warm-up game against a Cricket Australia Chairman's XI. Worries for England batting continue as Root makes just 22 & 1, Carberry made 6 1st innings but is currently 30no. Bairstow kept wicket, a quite sensible move to test him and let Prior bat, he made 31no but whether his form will be enough to displace Prior I doubt.

Prior made just 19 batting up the order, new boy Ballance made 55 1st innings and is 8no 2nd time around. Stokes made a decent but not particularly persuasive 28 from 54 balls and bowled just 13 overs.

Neither Rankin nor Finn made a strong case for inclusion in the 2nd Test XI, 1/52 and 0/61 respectively as the spinners did the rest of the damage

Can't help but think of the aussie debates over playing an extra bowler when the batting was struggling in the summer. For me the main difference is more the potential of the batsman/all-rounder to make a big score, while I might not rate Compton say, I would rate his chances of making a hundred many times ahead of those of Stokes.

So while Stokes might rip through the middle order, the chances are he would only bowl a lot if England were struggling to take wickets and I'd be happy if he made a 30 or 40, delighted if he could make a decent fifty. For me Stokes should be/have been playing more ODIs before we put him in the Test XI.

As powerful and destructive a batsman as Flintoff was, he did not score many big scores. He made just five hundreds, two of them batting at seven, and not one in his four years of Tests after his 102 against the aussies in the 2005 Ashes series. Two were against the West Indies, one against New Zealand and only two against top sides in Australia (102) and South Africa (142)

The point of that Flintoff hundred summary? He was about as rounded an all-rounder as we've had in recent times, fully capable, and still didn't produce as many runs as we might have hoped. While his career average might have been decent, it was on a par with that of Hick whose batting was considered overall a disappointment/failure.

His hundreds don't maketh the batsman, but do point towards a crucial missing element from him as does his lack of 10wm and poor return of 5wis. In fairness his split against top sides isn't too bad, but he was capable of so much better if maybe he'd done like Broad and used his bowling ability.

vs SAF/IND/AUS/PAK/SRL

99 inns, 2671 runs @ 29.03 (HS 142, 100 x2, 50 x19)
167 wkts @ 34.97 . SR 70.71, ER 2.97 (BB 5/78, 10wm x0, 5wi x2)

vs BAN/NZE/WIN/ZIM

31 inns, 1174 runs @ 40.48 (HS 167, 100 x3, 50 x7)
59 wkts @ 26.61 . SR 53.27, ER 3.00 (BB 5/54, 10wm x0, 5wi x1)

Point overall is will Stokes even remotely fill Flintoff's boots and if we couldn't make runs in 06/07 with Flintoff in the side, what chances with Stokes holding a role and making 6-11 vulnerable?

Last edited:

Owzat

International Coach
Warm-up game ended in a predictable draw, really don't see the point in two day games unless you set it at one innings/day apiece or two limited overs innings each of say 50 overs.

Anyway to summarise England runs/wkts :

Carberry 6 & 37no
Root 22 & 1
Ballance 55 & 8no
Prior 19
Stokes 28 & 0/37
Bell 13
Bairstow 31no
Swann 29 & 4/56
Finn 5no & 0/61
Rankin 1/52
Panesar 3/41

So Panesar and Swann among the wickets, Swann adding a few handy runs, but how they'll fare against the full aussie XI is a different matter.

Runs for Ballance and a few runs for Stokes, Carberry and Bairstow but no one scored more than 63 runs total so what England can take from this game I don't know

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If was an England selector, I'd bring in Stokes for Trott to bat at 6 and Panesar for Tremlett, Adelaide spins, Johan Botha and Cameron Boyce have proved that. But...

Can anyone explain why Stokes is in the test squad ahead of Woakes, aside from bowling faster Woakes is better in every department, and has already played a test against Australia. It seems very much a waste to debut someone and then discard them when he played well (Kerrigan fair enough, he was rubbish but Woakes, no). He has a first class batting average a touch short of 40, and a bowling average of just under 26, both of which are better than Stokes. It took 12 games for Stokes to get an international wicket.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I think Stokes has purely been chosen because he's quicker. He was hitting the high 80s mph during the summer, when you had Woakes probably in the low - mid 80s. I think they'll both be decent players in the future, so it was pretty much a toss up. They just don't fancy Woakes bowling on the pitches that don't do much. Although you could argue that if he's playing with 2 spinners, he's probably looking to be more defensive than attacking anyway.

Root potentially at 3 worries me. He just seems to have problems against fast bowlers who get the new ball to do something at this level. He'll become a good Test opener at some point, just not yet for me.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Suggestion from Ian Bell today that he'll bat at 3. I'm not sure I see Stokes over Ballance happening either. They need to strengthen the batting.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I'd certainly go with Ballance. In terms of pure ability I think he's a better option than Bairstow, even if there is doubt over whether he'll cope at this level. All this talk of bringing in an all-rounder also seems strange to me too, with the batting being so bad. Bell at 3 is probably the better option, if they're not bringing anyone else in.

----------

Well, KP at three is obviously the best option, but I doubt he'd want to go for that.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye with Prior out of form, that makes picking Stokes risky, because if Stokes was going to play it was key that Prior form is good enough to bat @ 6.

So really Ballance has to play & bat @ # 5 or 6, with Bell up to # 3.

If they feel they feel Adelaide requires two spinners, simply drop Tremlett and keep the 4 bowler balance.

dancingmongoose

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The problem with England using a 4 man attack is that Adelaide is flat, though it does spin. Who can roll their arm over aside from Root and KP a little? When Australia have Watson, Smith and Clarke who can, and have, bowled well at international level, plus Warner can bowl too. If Australia are 6/500, what does Cook do? Give Prior a bowl?

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Ballance (if picked) can bowl off spin.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
I enjoyed Cook & Compton amassing runs for fun in India & New Zealand opening the innings. Just doesn't look like happening with Cook & Carberry/Root opening the innings now.

I also don't like it how Prior is kind of undroppable at the moment. England's wicket-keeping department is shockingly devoid of quality and depth that Prior could fail a million times as he is now, and still be the #1 choice for the WK slot. Jonny B's a distant second, and he's as medicore as they come imho.

War

Chairman of Selectors
In all this talk about ENG bringing in Bresnan, Finn being erratic, are any of ENG fans aware of this guy Tymal Mills?

A quick young leftie from yorkshire, capable of bowling 90 mph like Johnson, and he is in the performance squad. ENG selectors have been impressed by him for a while now it seems & looking at some videos of him - i like what i'm seeing here.

Last edited by a moderator:

War

Chairman of Selectors
I also don't like it how Prior is kind of undroppable at the moment. England's wicket-keeping department is shockingly devoid of quality and depth that Prior could fail a million times as he is now, and still be the #1 choice for the WK slot. Jonny B's a distant second, and he's as medicore as they come imho.

Ye this was a slight error by the selectors, i dont think they thought really about taking the best, back-up, keeper batsman in ENG in this squad. They proba didn't think Prior would get injured and would regain form and took Bairstow for the experience.

Steven Davies is probably the best back-up, test keeper on the circuit still. And of course i'd argue that James Foster is possibly too the best pure glovesman in cricket - its just too bad he quality isn't be exposed to an international audience.

Users who are viewing this thread