2nd Test: Australia v England at The Adelaide Oval, Adelaide, 5-9 Dec

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah, that's the end of that.

Not sure if he's done enough to really make a difference to his mindset next time he bats with a game in the balance.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Looks like the urn is going on a little holiday for 18 months.

ste_mc_efc

Chairman of Selectors
As soon as Broad hit that 6 I was like "what the hell is be doing?".
The plan was to keep Aus in the field, put overs in their legs etc but looks like Broad didn't get the memo...

As much as a tool broad can be, i find it hard to believe he was told to block out and then went out and did that.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I'll admit I was a little nervous heading into today. After South Africa held on for a courageous draw last year in the Adelaide Test. Talks of bad weather didn't help. This doesn't feel real. Even though Australia were better than 3-0 in England IMO, I just can't believe this turnaround. England just don't look like the same side. Happy to see Siddle get 4 this innings, hopefully that continues.

Roll on Perth!

Frostyvegi

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The covers are on! :cheers

tumblr_lxo5tzMo921qd0r1zo1_500.gif

I'm sorry, but I feel offended every time a Englishman acts happy when the weather turns bad? I know on one or two occasions when I was a younger chap, hoping for rain to force a tie in a game the Aussies were playing in.. but come on, a result is better than a nul result.

I was listening to the Gabba Test while driving when the rain came in on Sunday (I actually drove through the hailstorm 5 minutes before it hit the ground) and could make out the cheers of the Barmy Army coming through the radio. Not 2 hours later.. the first Test was over.

Remember, we're in Australia.. our land don't get this burnt being constantly under water unlike the Boggy British Isles. Stop wasting time rain dancing and concentrate on hitting the ball with the bat.

Owzat

International Coach
As soon as Broad hit that 6 I was like "what the hell is be doing?".
The plan was to keep Aus in the field, put overs in their legs etc but looks like Broad didn't get the memo...

I went to bed after he threw his wicket away. I don't blame him for the defeat, England simply didn't make enough runs 1st innings and I noticed that FIVE of the England batting line up made their highest score of the series when the game was already lost.

Decent bit of batting practice, but nonetheless you need to score runs when they matter. Prior got a bit of form, but will he take it into the next Test?

Broad's throwaway wicket was most annoying because it was irresponsible, England were never going to win it with four wickets and that many runs to get, but if he'd seen off the first hour then it might have brought rain into play.

That said England shouldn't really be hoping for rain to save their rears, but other sides will take it and I think the one art that has been lost as pitches get flatter is the leave. How many batsmen get out playing shots that they could have left or ducked out of the way of?

I think England have better players than in the 90s, but otherwise there's not as big a gap as people think in terms of fight etc, even results at times. Don't forget England have only beaten a full strength, top of their game, aussie side once (2005), the windies are nothing these days, India are stronger but still beatable away from fortress subcontinent so the major differences are better mercenaries, slightly better players overall, flatter pitches, better if not perfect selection policies and weaker opposition.

And of course arguably England's three best bowlers of the 90s in Caddick, Cork and Gough, how often did all three play together despite making their debuts in consecutive years?

----------

Ultimately this is a worse performance (so far) than the series where we lost 5-0.

It's ironic that so many call Flintoff's declaration a huge mistake, the aussies did much the same here except England didn't make most of their chances and fell apart batting in the 2nd innings after establishing a 1st innings lead

And of course the aussies of 06/07 had Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath not to mention Ponting, Langer, Hayden, Hussey, Symonds and Lee. Their four bowlers all took 20+ wickets, EIGHT batsmen made 43+ averages, while Hoggard took 13 wickets @ 37.38, the rest 10-11 wickets and only two batsmen averaged more than 35 thanks in no small part to single/double hundreds

Most noteably SEVEN England players averaged under 12 including GoJo and Wead who replaced GoJo. We're well on course to match the five totals under 200

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
KABOOM! so Sir Ian Botham was right 5-0 is on the cards :D

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
Man oh man oh man! This is becoming embarrassing now, more so than it was a decade earlier, because now England have a team with better players, so it's not the skill that is letting them down but rather the heart, or lack of, that they are showing. :facepalm

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Surprising to see Johnson destroy England twice in two games. A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! No team would want to face him in this sort of form that he is in. But the thing to see is, is this really the turn to a positive/destructive self, or is it just a temporary short burst? I hope its not a permanent change, coz at some point of time in the coming years, India will face him in his own soil. If he continues like this, I would personally want India to declare a walkover and save themselves of embarassment.

isrararrafi

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
United States
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
*just continuing the discussion from another thread....

Johnson is getting wayyy too overrated all of a sudden. :P

About this ashes, given how much trouble south Africa was in last time they faced Australia in two of the three games(even though they came out as the winner in the end) and south Africa dominated England at their own soil, it shouldn't be that big of a surprise to see England surrender like this.

Australia plays like a completely different team at their own backyard....

The new india...

Now i have insulted the indians, aussies and the poms in one post...

Life ambition achieved....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread