2nd Test: England v Australia at Lords Jul 18-22, 2013

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Has anyone noticed Joe Root will be batting for a fourth day running tomorrow? And Bresnan 3 days on the bounce until today?

Anyway, is KP really injured or is Michael Vaughan just messing around on twitter?

https://twitter.com/MichaelVaughan/status/358641119787503616

EDIT:

@ESPNcricinfo: Kevin Pietersen will play no further part in the Lord's Test due to a calf strain and will be monitored ahead of Old Trafford #theashes

:(

Last edited:

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Doesn't sound good about KP.

Anyway, what you're seeing in this test is the true gap in class between these two sides; without last wicket partnerships to paper over the cracks, this Aussie batting lineup is a joke and I for one am loving it. ;) :D

ferg512

International Coach
I would declare at 5.20 and get an hour at the Aussies.

I don't really have a problem with what Cook is doing at all, England are grinding Australia into the dirt, this feels like payback for all those years of Australia doing the same to them. Now with the lead at 566, he may as well keep going get to 600 before declaring.

----------

Also would KP really be much of a loss? Right now I would probably pick any of Englands top 5 ahead of him. It would be interesting to see who would come in though, Comptons test career must be pretty much over now after Roots hundred today.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
So KP is out of the next test, who will be the replacement? Will they give a chance to Nick Compton or will they just go for a middle order batsmen such as Morgan, Bopara or Taylor?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't really have a problem with what Cook is doing at all, England are grinding Australia into the dirt, this feels like payback for all those years of Australia doing the same to them. Now with the lead at 566, he may as well keep going get to 600 before declaring.

Root for 200?

I'm with you though, 5 overs at Australia last night would have been the best move. Actually, scrap that. Making Aussies follow on is what I would have done.

Owzat

International Coach
Root for 200?

I'm with you though, 5 overs at Australia last night would have been the best move. Actually, scrap that. Making Aussies follow on is what I would have done.

I never understand the half hour (8 overs) in the evening theory, if you get a wicket or two you're left wondering how much damage you could have done.

I'd want an hour, even if the batting side makes 50 runs it is inconsequential, but if you do snare an early wicket or two you can potentially go to the close with 3-4 down and the opposition in blind panic.

It's just long enough to do some real damage, not too long the opposition can make significant runs.

England have now forfeit that really awkward session before the close, they now could also forfeit any early morning advantage unless they declare overnight.

Declaring mid morning won't instil fear in the aussies, I've concluded the reason they didn't take the new ball is they didn't want to take wickets and risk having to bat again, happy for the English to bat as long as possible and burn up precious bowling time. Looks like the weather won't arrive until midweek, the less time the aussies have to bat the happier they'll be.

At the moment England are batting time for the aussies, England had enough runs with 7+ sessions to go in the Test and so England have already chalked one off for the aussies, might well chalk another half off today as well. England batted yesterday for the loss of what, two wickets? The aussies won't make 500+ , there is a serious danger they could bat five sessions...........................

----------

So KP is out of the next test, who will be the replacement? Will they give a chance to Nick Compton or will they just go for a middle order batsmen such as Morgan, Bopara or Taylor?

Compton is 30, why are so many keen to bring him back on the basis of two hundreds against the kwikfit bowlers and ignore a sequence of 54 runs in six innings more recently against the same opposition?

Root is now making runs opening, even his 41 runs opening in three innings were relative riches compared to Compton. If we bring someone in then it should be someone younger or someone with a better CV.

Is Taylor going to be the forgotten man or does he not deserve another chance for a contrary reason to Compton "deserving" one......?

Last edited:

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Taylor will return if KP is unfit. The England selectors asked him to go away and make FC runs in Div 1 before they consider for test selection again. He's currently the third highest run scorer with 824 at 58.85 including a double ton (interestingly Robson the 24yr old Aussie opener is top with 986 at 70). This would surely have fullfilled the selectors' demands simply on the weight of FC runs he's scored this season.

Owzat

International Coach
What a joke so far, 16 runs is it for two wickets and then the aussies lose Watson early on.

Three wickets this morning, if England had been bowling instead of wasting time on behalf of the aussies then it could be three down already, more if they'd declared last night. Vaughan, Strauss, Cook, the lot of them, have some "issue" with runs per session and target feasibility. It's in the history books for all to see, sides rarely chase down 350 let alone 400 and 500+ .

If better sides can't do it regularly what makes England think this aussie side can?!?!?!? Hell if they could score 500+ runs they wouldn't be in the mess they're in - Test or series

Owzat

International Coach
Well we could have had 4+ aussies out by now, I think even the most stupid of captains and media, pundits, people who might have fretted about the target will now be catching up with the rest of us - the target is pretty much irrelevant already. (some of us concluded that yesterday, the rest are playing catch up)

If the aussies last into tomorrow they'll have done well, if they make 300 they'll have set their first for the series. If England had declared last night or overnight there's a chance the extra half hour would be coming into play before lunch...................... (slim chance but more than of the aussies chasing anything over 350)

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Sure, they could have had heaps of wickets if they'd bowled earlier, but who cares? It's not like they're going to run out of time. If Australia survive 170 odd overs, especially from this position, there are no excuses. No one can say with a straight face that England would need more time.

vorgaphe

Club Cricketer
Well we could have had 4+ aussies out by now, I think even the most stupid of captains and media, pundits, people who might have fretted about the target will now be catching up with the rest of us - the target is pretty much irrelevant already. (some of us concluded that yesterday, the rest are playing catch up)

If the aussies last into tomorrow they'll have done well, if they make 300 they'll have set their first for the series. If England had declared last night or overnight there's a chance the extra half hour would be coming into play before lunch...................... (slim chance but more than of the aussies chasing anything over 350)

Not declaring overnight was the right decision. Root getting a double hundred would have been an even greater lift for the England and a huge mental blow for the Aussies. Also, keeping them in the field for longer will ruin their bowler's stamina and morale.

Users who are viewing this thread