3rd Test: England v Australia at Old Trafford Aug 1-5, 2013

Negatives are the run rate and Cook's dismissal. Is it me or have there been a few down the leg side ones this series?
Positives are KP having a chance to bat himself into form and take the measure of the Aussie attack.
England absolutely shouldn't lose on this pitch against this attack but stranger things have happened.

I'd be giving Smith the ball about now. New ball isn't far away and he's bowled well so far this series. Might entice Pietersen into a stupid shot.

Bell,Bairstow and KP all gone with Prior out of form follow on is still a possibility :thumbs

I think they got a bit hung up on the follow on mark instead of just trying to build a score.
Actually a decent chance of England winning this game as Aus will have to set them a lowish target if they want to avoid the draw.

I think they got a bit hung up on the follow on mark instead of just trying to build a score.

I think there was overcaution, I said England's danger was trying to hit the ball all over and they went to the opposite extreme at times.

Good hundred from Pietersen, poor England effort overall.

Actually a decent chance of England winning this game as Aus will have to set them a lowish target if they want to avoid the draw.

Really can't see the aussies being that rash, nor England really going for anything over 300 very quickly. The morning is key, if the aussies can finish England off in the hour they might not be able to enforce the follow on, but they can knock up 150+ runs to set something around 350+ in four sessions.

England would be foolish to go for any target unless it is under 300, draw the series and retain the Ashes first which a draw here would do. Yes, the aussies would very much like to win this Test, you could argue "need to", but so too England "need to" not lose.

England should set out tomorrow to bat the session, that will do for the England cause. The aussies will struggle to force a win in five sessions with no(t much) more than 150 runs lead. The aussies need to knock over the tail. Can't believe Smith hasn't bowled more than two overs considering the Lyon has been toothless.

If England do hang around I can't see Prior, Broad and then Swann not scoring some runs and getting after the bowlers. Sure they've dug in so far, but as they add 10-20 runs the fear of the follow on will lessen, doubt Lyon will bowl before the follow on is decided one way or the other.

In fact the follow on might be the best path to aussie victory, neither path is looking particularly strong at the moment. My rule of thumb is that if the 1st innings (plural) aren't completed by day three, assuming a relatively normal amount of play and no low totals with weather the reason it has taken three days, then a draw is a strong favourite.

Reason being if you can't take 20 wickets in nine sessions, especially if not much play has been lost, it is not too likely you'll see 20 wickets fall in less than six sessions. Of course sometimes you might have 600+ plays say 250/7 in which case a result can be forced, but with a match where neither side has struggled to post a half decent score..........................

Also would have thought the aussies wouldn't have bowled Watson as much as they have. I still feel the aussies could and maybe should have batted on with two batsmen set on 65no and 66no. Those extra runs could have knocked England back mentally even further, and they could still have had an hour or so to bowl. Sometimes on pitches this good you need to post really really big totals to try and force an innings defeat, or a quick 2nd innings declaration to leave 400+ . The aussies left England a big escape route, only bowling them out for 250-300 and maybe a bit faster would have left a really good chance of winning. What odds that on this pitch?

----------

Bell,Bairstow and KP all gone with Prior out of form follow on is still a possibility :thumbs

I think time will save England, possibly the weather. Their attritional approach has wasted time, while it may not have sped them to a strong reply total, it has used up the amount of time needed to compensate the slow run rate.

15 sessions in the match, aussies batted what five, England four and counting, that leaves six between two innings in which the aussies may only need maybe 1/3 of the runs, but equally may take 1/3 of the remaining sessions, but to bowl England out in 2/3 of six could take some doing - especially if Lyon doesn't roar into action

Follow on is the only path to Aussie victory as far as I'm concerned and England should really go past that without any trouble.

Question regarding KP's dismissal - did he or not actually hit it? Just seen snicko showing he might have nicked it after all?

Anyway, England need to bat atleast an hour tomorrow, which would more or less result in an effective 170 run lead for the Aussies. How do the Aussies go about it from there? Bat 40 overs and look to get to 200 and set England a target of 370 odd with about 125 overs to bowl?

EDIT: Just realized weather could well play spoilsport, so presuming atleast 15 overs are lost over the next two days as a result, I'd say Australia with the aforementioned 170 run lead should look to get to 160-170 in 40 overs, setting England a target of 330-340 to win in 110 overs. The scoring rate in this case sounds a lot more realistic than the one above too.

Last edited:
Follow on is the only path to Aussie victory as far as I'm concerned and England should really go past that without any trouble.

this. there is no way england will bother going for the dangled carrot of 3.5+ rpo to win with a 2-0 series lead. it's not how they operate.

if it was 3-1 going into the 5th test it'd be different. The english set up has been conservative in it's approach to not losing/forcing the win in less secure series positions than 2-0 to the good.

----------

Aus would have to be stupidly gung ho with the batting, open with warner and say we're leaving ourselves close to 4 sessions to get the 10 wickets, even if it meant setting something like 250.

Australia may not enforce the follow on. If they do, England gets 300 and Australia has to chase 100. That's a tough one to get with Swann bowling from one end.

Can't believe they are taking time to dismiss Anderson :facepalm
With the current situation at hand, Warner-Watson opening partnership may well get a nod?

The mane point is that he isn't going to take 5 furs even when he can re-lyon the pitch.

Every 24 hours the Lyon Sleeps Tonight...................... ;)

England passed the follow on, doubt they'll be able to force a win and the question is how hard will the aussies. If they get England out in the next 20 minutes or so they'd need to race along like a bat out of hell, score say 40-50 runs before lunch, try to score 120-150 or more during the afternoon session and hope to pile on some quick runs and still have a bowl before close.

England could force a mini-collapse, can't see the aussies being skittled for less than the 120-150 runs that might give England a relatively routine chance of winning. Anything much over 270-300 (target) will take up too much time to get to, in terms of the aussies building it and the amount of time left would probably be not enough to do.

England probably should throttle back and settle for retaining the Ashes, you get no prizes for whitewashes, some accolades perhaps, but safely hanging onto them and going in 2-0 up still should be the focus.

----------

Question regarding KP's dismissal - did he or not actually hit it? Just seen snicko showing he might have nicked it after all?

The laugh of the matter with all the "technology", is no bugger actually knows. And they're trying to sell this to the various boards and make them pay for it! :facepalm

EDIT: Just realized weather could well play spoilsport, so presuming atleast 15 overs are lost over the next two days as a result, I'd say Australia with the aforementioned 170 run lead should look to get to 160-170 in 40 overs, setting England a target of 330-340 to win in 110 overs. The scoring rate in this case sounds a lot more realistic than the one above too.

As I said, go into day three with a side still completing their 1st innings and chances of a draw rely on either a) time lost already so the match is already well progressed or b) one side with a massive 1st innings advantage making 5-6 sessions enough to force a win.

Neither is the case, so if someone wins from here they will have done so literally by efforts in the last two days of the match

Siddle has to be one of the most underrated bowlers of this era, I mean 165 wickets @ 28 without being a massive swing bowler is pretty incredible with all the flat pitches they play on these days. Not to mention the fact he hasn't had any injuries of late, when most other bowlers around the world are breaking down regularly. At his age there is no reason he can't go on to take 250-300 test wickets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread