3rd Test: England v Australia at Old Trafford Aug 1-5, 2013

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Stupid English weather, could've been a great day of cricket if the weather was good.

Owzat

International Coach
Weather just rubber stamped the draw on this one, shame because it was set fair for an interesting day's battle.

Whether the aussies can take something from this remains to be seen, their frontline spinner isn't cutting through anything and the batting line up still has too many misfires.

Three of the top four aussie batting averages this series are Agar, Pattinson and Haddin. Rogers and Smith are averaging 30.83 and 30.17 respectively, Watson Khawaja and Warner all under 25.

Might be their best solution to pick a bowling attack of Harris, Siddle, Starc and Smith, use Clarke and lesserly Watson to make up any overs and offer something different, and that would deepen the batting.

In three Tests they've already used 15 different players, but since the frontline spinners have three wickets in three Tests between them, and Watson Khawaja, Warner and Cowan have scored 299 runs for 14 times out @ 21.36 it is little wonder they're chopping and changing. Haddin may be much maligned, but a HS of 71, average of 31.80 and 19 catches in three Tests is a lot better than half the aussie contributions.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
2-1 feels about right but I'm confident England will win in Durham. In many ways this is an improvement on the previous two series where we've lost the third test!

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
God we were rubbish in this test; we never got out of the starting blocks. I'm sure we can't play this badly again though.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
2-1 feels about right but I'm confident England will win in Durham. In many ways this is an improvement on the previous two series where we've lost the third test!

The third test at Edgbaston in 2009 was a draw. England lost only the fourth test at Leeds.

----------

Interesting observation - England have lost their first three wickets for less than 65 runs in their last four bats - for less than 35 runs on 3 of those 4 occasions - and have yet gone on to make 350+ in their last 4 bats (exluding yesterday, obviously). Top order needs a quick wake up call..

Also no Finn for the next test. I don't like this one bit tbh.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Onions might be a good horses for courses bet. Never much bounce in Durham so you want to bowl wicket to wicket.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Chester Le Street being his home ground helps his cause as well. Do hope he replaces Bresnan (have heard many saying it should be Broad who should be dropped instead!)..

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Might be their best solution to pick a bowling attack of Harris, Siddle, Starc and Smith, use Clarke and lesserly Watson to make up any overs and offer something different, and that would deepen the batting.

I was thinking the opposite - pick more bowlers, because they've batted better than the batsmen! Forget Warner and Watson, why not open with Agar? Keep Starc for his batting...:D

A bit more seriously...you'd pick Agar instead of Lyon in that scenario. Less penetration, but won't leak runs like Smith would and it would let Clarke at least a small amount of pressure on.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
I was thinking the opposite - pick more bowlers, because they've batted better than the batsmen! Forget Warner and Watson, why not open with Agar? Keep Starc for his batting...:D

A bit more seriously...you'd pick Agar instead of Lyon in that scenario. Less penetration, but won't leak runs like Smith would and it would let Clarke at least a small amount of pressure on.

I think the Aussies should keep the team as they have it, I know they won't play as well as they played at Old Trafford but they seem to be clicking and look to be more competitive now.

England however have a bowling weakness...or 2, namely Broad and Bresnan, that leaves Anderson and Swann with far too much to do. I've never been a fan of Bresnan and really believe Finn, Onions or Tremlett should replace him. Broaid is iffy for me, he can be good every now and then or very average most of the time. A lack of depth in their bowling is whet caused Englan.d to lose to SA at home.

They just don't have that same penetration if Swanny and Jimmy don't fire.

Users who are viewing this thread