5th Test: England vs Australia at the Brit Oval

Sureshot

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
Eh? In a different match, vs a different team? Yes, useful 2nd half of a sentence!

somersetargyle

School Cricketer
1.Strauss
2.Cook
3.Bell
4.Trott/Key (depending on trott's lions peerformance)
5.Collingwood
6.Prior
7.Flintoff
8.Broad
9.Swann
10.Anderson
11. Onions

basicallly no revolutionary changes because many of these players dont become bad overnight - big changes wont help

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
1.Strauss
2.Cook
3.Bell
4.Trott/Key (depending on trott's lions peerformance)
5.Collingwood
6.Prior
7.Flintoff
8.Broad
9.Swann
10.Anderson
11. Onions

basicallly no revolutionary changes because many of these players dont become bad overnight - big changes wont help

Bell has proven he can't bat at number 3. In fact, he's not proven that he's up to test cricket.

Key's comments that Bopara should play doesn't give me the impression that he believes he should play, plus his form has been patchy over the season.

Ramprakash has proven over his career he can't handle the pressure of Test Cricket. An average of 27 in 52 Tests is a clear under archiver and how can anyone say anything has changed?

Another name to throw into the mix is Ed Joyce. He could bat at 3, he's got a good temperament and a good First Class return. Trott should also be in contention since he is the next cab of the rank. Plus he's opened, so he could make a good No.3.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Michael Carberry's another option at 3 as well. Scored some big runs this season for Hampshire, and has performed for the Lions as well. I'd still go with Cook at 3, with Key opening though personally.

Mercules

Club Cricketer
Atm I'd go:

1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Carberry
4. Collingwood
5. Trott
6. Prior
7. Flintoff
8. Broad
9. Swann
10. Anderson
11. Onions

But performances this week may change my mind

somersetargyle

School Cricketer
Bell has proven he can't bat at number 3. In fact, he's not proven that he's up to test cricket.

Key's comments that Bopara should play doesn't give me the impression that he believes he should play, plus his form has been patchy over the season.

Ramprakash has proven over his career he can't handle the pressure of Test Cricket. An average of 27 in 52 Tests is a clear under archiver and how can anyone say anything has changed?

Another name to throw into the mix is Ed Joyce. He could bat at 3, he's got a good temperament and a good First Class return. Trott should also be in contention since he is the next cab of the rank. Plus he's opened, so he could make a good No.3.

its too late to pick an external no3 now - im a fan of bell contrary to about 90% of the population; yes, hes not a matchwinner like pietersen but he has certainly got the attributes of a number 3 plus he plays 3 for county with trott at 4 or lower so it makes general sense - hes had 2 bad innings but so have the 3 that came before him; i dont really see why he should be the scapegoat when hes only just come back into the team; frankly the likes of strauss and collingwood should be the consistent performers in the team as proven before and they should be getting a bit of stick more than bell or bopara (who has to be dropped just for this match at least)

Sureshot

Executive member

But he did average 42.40 against Australia. BEsides, most of the England team couldn't handle the pressure in his era!:p

Leicester Fox

Chairman of Selectors
I was so close to jizzing everywhere in that lest test. I sat down hearing Fred wasn't playing and told everyone about how we had nothing to worry about because we had the next Bradman coming in at 6. Sadly our selectors are complete dicks.

If we have a middle order containing Ian Bell and Ravi Bopara in this test I might just find myself wearing one of those silly cork hats, drinking Fosters and having a barbeque where I'll be talking dead funny.

Therbs

PCPL Season 2: Best Bowler (Division 2)
I was so close to jizzing everywhere in that lest test. I sat down hearing Fred wasn't playing and told everyone about how we had nothing to worry about because we had the next Bradman coming in at 6. Sadly our selectors are complete dicks.

If we have a middle order containing Ian Bell and Ravi Bopara in this test I might just find myself wearing one of those silly cork hats, drinking Fosters and having a barbeque where I'll be talking dead funny.

Gold! ROFLMAO

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
16 runs in 6 visits to the crease from our middle order, 30 runs in one visit from Stuart Clark.
Thats right mate, you said it. Get Stuart Clark in and the Ashes is ours.

30 runs and destroying the top/middle order.

Gun.

woodzy

Club Cricketer

I think the idea that Ramprakash cant the pressure of test cricket is outdated. Firstly, he is a different, more confident and more mature to the player who last played test cricket 7-8 years ago. You dont average over 100 in county cricket if your a bad player; thats even better than what England's current test players average.

Secondly, a major reason why he wasnt up to the pressures of test cricket was because of the pressures imposed on him by the English selection policy of the 1990s-early 2000s. Those were the dark days of English test cricket where they chopped and changed their teams like crazy. I can forgive alot of players from that era to an extent for performing badly because many of those players, in particular batsmen, were constantly looking over their shoulders to see who would get the chop next. I think the English set up today is totally different and would see Ramprakash benefit.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
He is 39 years old...

It would be a worse decision then playing Paul Nixon. :sarcasm

Razor

School Cricketer
Eng Team

Strauss
Cook
Key
Bell/Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Harmison/Panesar/ Onions

Ravi must go. You need exp in the top 3 so Key should get the not on that and his form. Just giving Bell Two tests might be harsh but will he handle the pressure? The only test that Eng won they played two spinners when it was needed. That might be the way to go if it looks like the Oval will take alot of turn. I also don't think you can have 3 swing bowlers (thats why Harmy would be a strong selection for me)and yes Broad needs to pitch it up and swing it and not bowl short. Even though Kallis can get it throught he will never be asked to bowl short all day, absolutely daft...
The brave choice would be

Strauss
Cook
Key
Trott
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Anderson
Harmison
Onions

You need 4 bowlers + 1 allr to take 20 wk and 6 batsmen to score 350-400 consistently. The question that must be answered is who is the best to do that. I desperatly want Eng to win, please guys pull it together

Users who are viewing this thread