6,000 Don Bradman 14 Copies Shipped to India

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Retail prices aren't going to get any cheaper.

Steam have just started to allow regional pricing, so you might find that the digital PC price is cheaper.

SibiNaayagam

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Retail prices aren't going to get any cheaper.

Steam have just started to allow regional pricing, so you might find that the digital PC price is cheaper.

I really hope BEAM offers its service in Chennai. That is my only hope of downloading a digital copy of DBC :/ But still SteelBook :/

fanirama

Club Captain
DRM is justified for India (and China and other countries like Mexico, Brazil etc.) where piracy is rampant.

I mean, c'mon, 10K copies? For a country that is 1.2bn, even if 10% watch cricket it is 120mn people and even if 1% of those buy the game it still is 1.2mn copies for India.

But they are pirating it so much that it is like 1% of that now. Horrible state of affairs in India. It's great it was even released there considering there is probably low ROI.

Maybe they should make it so if the game is played unauthorized, the batsman disappears or you cannot hit a four or a six or your legs become like lead and you cannot take a run or other whacky game effects.

Or make the ball the size of a soccer ball and it floats. That'll be a fun lesson for pirates.
Sadly it is so tough to implement this... (requires good understanding of the PS firmware code to work in tandem with it, hardware, piracy detection, coding for these features etc. which take away normal development cycles etc.).

bigsix

School Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The way this game has been made I can't believe the number of copies shipped to India is not 60,000.
Absolutely fabulous game!! Few bugs here and there but fantastic game.

grkrama

National Board President
But they are pirating it so much that it is like 1% of that now. Horrible state of affairs in India. It's great it was even released there considering there is probably low ROI.

Its not so much about pirating as market buying potential.
1.Just because one pirates doent mean he is going to buy it if he cant pirate.
2.even if you take the pirate copies into count of any game i still dont think india will match the legit copies sold in say UK,aus or US.(atleast for consoles)

So while piracy is certainly an rampant issue its more about enlarging the gamer base in INDIA than preventing piracy.
Gaming is still not mainstream in india as an entertainment form,
Lack of Indian based game studios pushing AAA titles, hence no mass marketing will occur to push gaming.
The only Development stuff going on here is Indie and mobile or tab based stuff.

But things are changing slowly once a few studios get success, they get more backing and big fish enter the field, Gaming will go big in india, by that time the buying potential of the average indian will also increase,
I put it around a indian who can earn around 5000$(1lakh rs) a month, will be the one who can spend freely on gaming,right now there are not many with this salary figure in india despite the populous, i expect this to be reached in the next half a decade or so.
When all this things come together india will be a very good market for gaming.
not anti piracy measures.

Last edited:

fanirama

Club Captain
I'm not talking about the future. I'm speculating on the logistics behind a country having so many millions of people loving cricket but having probably the least amount of legitimate copies sold.

It's just pure and simple piracy which is easy enough today. People would rather get a modded console and play pirated copies of the game because of the cost issue and no one bats an eye or thinks twice before pirating. Whether that is cable piracy, movie piracy, game piracy or trying to get exam papers or whatever.

Thus I see the emergence of DRM as a response to this lack of respect for someone else's work and the attitude of getting something for free without much work.

(such a similar attitude exists here as well but to a far lesser extent)

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I'm not talking about the future. I'm speculating on the logistics behind a country having so many millions of people loving cricket but having probably the least amount of legitimate copies sold.

It's just pure and simple piracy which is easy enough today. People would rather get a modded console and play pirated copies of the game because of the cost issue and no one bats an eye or thinks twice before pirating. Whether that is cable piracy, movie piracy, game piracy or trying to get exam papers or whatever.

Thus I see the emergence of DRM as a response to this lack of respect for someone else's work and the attitude of getting something for free without much work.

(such a similar attitude exists here as well but to a far lesser extent)

It's not about the size of the population, it's the size of the affluent middle class, the culture within that and the history if video gaming.

You're over simplifying.

grkrama

National Board President

What blocker said and what i told in the first few points before i talked about the improvement that will take place in immediate future.

lol the only people who are hindered by DRM's are people who are buying legitimately,
Tell me one DRM that hasnt been broken, its child's play for crackers, The resource spent on DRM will be better invested on adding value to games.
GOG/CDProjekt has already realized this and dont use DRM for their games through their site atleast.

Only providing value for the legit copies like features that can be accessed with legit copies like the Cricket Academy in DBC, multiplayer, will reduce piracy than some crappy DRM measures(AC2 ubisoft) that turns off genuine buyers.

Last edited:

fanirama

Club Captain
It's not about the size of the population, it's the size of the affluent middle class, the culture within that and the history if video gaming.

You're over simplifying.

Well, my post's implication that you might've missed is that the size of the middle class for a country of 1.2bn will likely be higher than a country of 100mn people.

So the size of the middle class in India who can afford this game is surely more than 6000. You can just look at how many PS3s or Xbox360's are in India which should give a good grip on how many legit copies should sell. (I say should because piracy distorts this #)

----------

lol the only people who are hindered by DRM's are people who are buying legitimately,
Tell me one DRM that hasnt been broken, its child's play for crackers, The resource spent on DRM will be better invested on adding value to games.
GOG/CDProjekt has already realized this and dont use DRM for their games through their site atleast.

Only providing value for the legit copies like features that can be accessed with legit copies like the Cricket Academy in DBC, multiplayer, will reduce piracy than some crappy DRM measures(AC2 ubisoft) that turns off genuine buyers.

Not really. I've bought so many games on Steam which is DRM and it has never hindered me ever.
Even old era CD Keys never bothered me.

The issue isn't the presence of DRM. It is how it was implemented. There are some forms of DRM which are downright crazy - Starforce for e.g. Even GFWL DRM is annoying because it needs perma online (e.g. Dark Souls PC won't save your game unless you sign in to your GFWL profile which needs online), Diablo3 always online or SimCity always online.

I don't condone nor support such forms of DRM. But DRM that is quiet in the background is fine by me.

The Witcher series got pirated like crazy and sold like 10% of what it could've. Pirates will always exist and pirate.
You can thwart them but not eliminate them. D3 really has almost 0 piracy but it is invasive. There are examples of games which are good but sold like nothing but got pirated 100 times over. More invasive DRM could've saved them but would've alienated their legit buyers which is a risk for small studios.

grkrama

National Board President
Not really. I've bought so many games on Steam which is DRM and it has never hindered me ever.
Even old era CD Keys never bothered me.
they will never hinder you at the same time the pirate they will readily replace steam api dll and get on with it.same with cd keys.

at the same time steam is preferred not for their drm or protection but the convenience and value added services it provides both to buyers and publishers.

The issue isn't the presence of DRM. It is how it was implemented. There are some forms of DRM which are downright crazy - Starforce for e.g. Even GFWL DRM is annoying because it needs perma online (e.g. Dark Souls PC won't save your game unless you sign in to your GFWL profile which needs online), Diablo3 always online or SimCity always online.

they still got pirated and were left with a mob of legit buyers thrashing the product esp simcity.
that's the emergence of drm like you have mentioned:p

don't condone nor support such forms of DRM. But DRM that is quiet in the background is fine by me.

The Witcher series got pirated like crazy and sold like 10% of what it could've. Pirates will always exist and pirate.
You can thwart them but not eliminate them. D3 really has almost 0 piracy but it is invasive. There are examples of games which are good but sold like nothing but got pirated 100 times over. More invasive DRM could've saved them but would've alienated their legit buyers which is a risk for small studios.

ya piracy and pirates will always exist, but sadly there is no guarantee that those who pirate will buy if they cant pirate it.

witcher series got pirated a lot because PC release....no amount of DRM would have saved them, which they seem to realize and go drm free, but the sales should have been good enough that there is going to be an awesome looking witcher 3 wild hunt.

Now you are missing the whole point here im also happy with the basic drm that prevents the average joe from putting the game executable in a pen drive and going and installing in his friends computer.

but anything more than that all this talk of emergence of drm stuff is going overboard with it and will surely only affect the buyers.

D3 also got pirated(also im not sure many who would have pirated it bought it, it sold well because 'diablo') , but what saves it and makes it valuabe to own a legit copy is the value provided with the trading system online not the DRM itself which only serves it purpose to hinder.

which is what im saying multiplayer,trading,stuff like DBC CA, something that makes the legit copy of the game standout from the pirated ones by offering something more will encourage people to buy than a stupid DRM and also not piss off buyers instead encourage more following to the game.

----------

Well, my post's implication that you might've missed is that the size of the middle class for a country of 1.2bn will likely be higher than a country of 100mn people.

So the size of the middle class in India who can afford this game is surely more than 6000. You can just look at how many PS3s or Xbox360's are in India which should give a good grip on how many legit copies should sell. (I say should because piracy distorts this #)

you are still over simplifying and trying to use a common word like middle class, there are somany subdivisions here in that one word.

The amount of middle class with annual income of 20lakh Rs (30000$) is only 4 lakh people (above crore drops to 43000 just an info) while the real figure could be quite a bit more due to tax frauds(im not going there)
of this even if DBC gets a sales of around 50000 copies like GTA was reported over time thats a very good number regardless of piracy, console/pc owners etc. for this market.

while there is no excuse for the piracy taking place here or anywhere in the world, you are not factoring in the words we are repeating like average income of middle class good enough to buy games on a regular basis and gaming culture of the place which reciprocate to sales more than piracy.

Last edited:

Gash

Banned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Steam Store would play a vital role for DBC14. If the game is well implemented with Steam, I'm sure people would love purchasing that digitally, and the Steam summer sale is coming ahead too. Would love to have it in my Steam account, and it would be even better if the game is one of those appearing in summer sale.

Users who are viewing this thread