A beautiful thing just happened...

lazy_chesnut

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I was fiddling around with player batting stats with a view to making a test match patch for the game. Basically I reduced England's batting stats by quite a lot, so they were about 50% their original value (I left power quite high to allow you to still hit boundaries).

So I was playing a test match as England against the West Indies on a damp pitch (the only one where the ball bounces a sensible height instead of ballooing over the stumps every time). When I was batting I noticed some things about the game which are so encouraging it's unbelievable...

You have to play the ball on length to allow any chance of a decent total. If the bowler bowls a good line and length ball, pretty much your only choice is to tap it back to him, or try and maneuvre a single.

If the ball is delivered at half-volley length with a bit of width, you can spank it for four. Short and wide and you can cut. Full and straight and you can try and drive it straight, or sliding down the leg side you can play it of your pads.

If you try to say play a good length ball to extra cover, your likely to edge it, miss it, or hardly get the ball off the square.

You actually have to choose your shots on the ball's merit.

Just when I was enjoying it (I enjoy getting all out for 124!) something amazing happened: the AI brought the field up. I was about 6 wickets down for about 60, and was faced with 3 slips, a gully, and a silly point. The bowler was bowling tight for the most part and I couldn't hit the thing off the square. Every now and again, the bowler would give me one to hit and I could get a few runs. I was actually under pressure for once.

Then something even more amazing happened. I got caught out bat-and-pad by silly point. I prodded forward to a good length ball, trying to dab it into the covers rather than play it straight back, played slightly down the wrong line, the ball took the edge, hit the pad, popped up into the air and silly point caught it.

Screenshot below.

It was the best representation of test cricket I've seen since the original Brian Lara Cricket. I was working for my runs, trying to play in the V when my confidence was down, then cutting loose with higher confidence and worse bowling.

This game could be good. If the AI could bat sensibly then it would be fantastic. I'm feeling better about this game - if we can get a patch to sort out AI aggression and field placings, it will be genius.

Attachments

• wow.jpg
    wow.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 575

Huegel

School Cricketer
Very encouraging news!

This game could be good. If the AI could bat sensibly then it would be fantastic. I'm feeling better about this game - if we can get a patch to sort out AI aggression and field placings, it will be genius.

I guess it's just a question of how hard ^that is going to be. :)

I'll keep my fingers crossed

pacers

School Cricketer
Yeah, I'm getting a lot of fun out of the game at the moment too. Playing as lesser teams against the giants, in the right types of games (and placing field restrictions on myself when I bowl, and getting rid of the bowling markers when I bat), I am definately enjoying this more than I have any other cricket game.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Pak_cricketer said:
RG did give us clues that there is a patch being worked on. Wouldn't guarantee it though.

Yes, but if Codies see how encouraging the news is, surely it would make a patch more likely? It would stop us all whining at them, at the very least!!
:happy

lazy_chesnut said:
I was fiddling around with player batting stats with a view to making a test match patch for the game. Basically I reduced England's batting stats by quite a lot, so they were about 50% their original value (I left power quite high to allow you to still hit boundaries).

So I was playing a test match as England against the West Indies on a damp pitch (the only one where the ball bounces a sensible height instead of ballooing over the stumps every time). When I was batting I noticed some things about the game which are so encouraging it's unbelievable...

You have to play the ball on length to allow any chance of a decent total. If the bowler bowls a good line and length ball, pretty much your only choice is to tap it back to him, or try and maneuvre a single.

If the ball is delivered at half-volley length with a bit of width, you can spank it for four. Short and wide and you can cut. Full and straight and you can try and drive it straight, or sliding down the leg side you can play it of your pads.

If you try to say play a good length ball to extra cover, your likely to edge it, miss it, or hardly get the ball off the square.

You actually have to choose your shots on the ball's merit.

Just when I was enjoying it (I enjoy getting all out for 124!) something amazing happened: the AI brought the field up. I was about 6 wickets down for about 60, and was faced with 3 slips, a gully, and a silly point. The bowler was bowling tight for the most part and I couldn't hit the thing off the square. Every now and again, the bowler would give me one to hit and I could get a few runs. I was actually under pressure for once.

Then something even more amazing happened. I got caught out bat-and-pad by silly point. I prodded forward to a good length ball, trying to dab it into the covers rather than play it straight back, played slightly down the wrong line, the ball took the edge, hit the pad, popped up into the air and silly point caught it.

Screenshot below.

It was the best representation of test cricket I've seen since the original Brian Lara Cricket. I was working for my runs, trying to play in the V when my confidence was down, then cutting loose with higher confidence and worse bowling.

Please say that you were testing the PC version? Even if Codies don't release a patch, wouldn't this patch of yours improve the game massively?

Great work, Chestnut!! You ain't lazy, mate!! :hpraise

ulukai

Club Cricketer
this is absolutely AMAZING lazy_chesnut! now if only the AI batting improved as well?!...cant wait to hear..thanks so much for giving us all hope :)

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
lazy_chesnut said:
So I was playing a test match as England against the West Indies on a damp pitch (the only one where the ball bounces a sensible height instead of ballooing over the stumps every time).

How does it behave on the other pitch types? Isn't there a variable you can reduce to decrease the bounce of the ball?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Pak_cricketer said:
RG did give us clues that there is a patch being worked on.

He said he would pass all our feedback on to the development team. Sadly that's somewhat different...
If there was to be a patch they certainly wouldn't be working on it already.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
lazy_chesnut said:
Pretty sure it's hard-coded.

Oh well, hopefully if Codies release a patch, RG could ask that to be sorted out as well (as one of the priorities).

If no patch from Codies, though, don't you think that your Test patch will improve things no end? You say that at times you were having trouble getting the ball off the square, I don't even remember that happening in BLIC 2005. It sounds as though your patch will force us to play more defensively. Great work, mate!
:)

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Which is exactly why Lazy that me and you will have some good matches when I get to UWE in september :)

Users who are viewing this thread