A wagon wheel to highlight the huge problem with batting in DBC17

That looks to me a pretty sweet cover drive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 239
That looks to me a pretty sweet cover drive
yes but it only ever goes in one direction lets say a 15-20 degree angle to the pitch, there is a huge area missing (square drive territory).

I found i can play nice looking shots in the nets, with great follow thru animations that look as if it would go in the missing area, cannot replicate in match situations though (thats nets within career made)

You're so far down the pitch you want them to bowl at the stumps because it becomes a juicy leg side full toss.

Will post a video later.

Not really advocating it is as a solution because it's so uncricket but it does get the ball in that area!

Yeah I prefer to bat using regular batting shots so this option may not be feasible. Common batting shots not in the game definitely an oversight.

I agree 100% your diagram highlights it perfectly... I'm just saying in the beginning when it was firts mentioned (with no diagrams) Ross categorically stated that there ARE cover drives in the game, technically correct, there are! :) anyways our point has been carried across I am sure.
No. There are no cover drives in the game. The animation associated with a cover drive where the batsman moves his front foot towards the ball and the bat swinging down gracefully towards cover is completely omitted (existed in DBC 14). The Square drive is also missing, and there is no glance to fine leg. There is also no back foot glance in the game....neither to square nor fine leg

Last edited:
No. There are no cover drives in the game. The animation associated with a cover drive where the batsman moves his front foot towards the ball and the bat swinging down gracefully towards cover is completely omitted (existed in DBC 14). The Square drive is also missing, as there is no glance to fine leg. There is also no back foot glance in the game....neither to square nor fine leg

... but there is a helicopter shot.

Another problem is that since there is such a huge difference in the way the off drive and square "cut" play off, particularly with the backing away from the stumps, if you attempt a squarish cover drive and are just a degree too square on your controller you suddenly are in the "cutting" regime and risk getting bowled by the backing away.

Another problem is that since there is such a huge difference in the way the off drive and square "cut" play off, particularly with the backing away from the stumps, if you attempt a squarish cover drive and are just a degree too square on your controller you suddenly are in the "cutting" regime and risk getting bowled by the backing away.
Exactly....it is a game breaker........changes your approach to batting completely and ruins Test Cricket and one day cricket....you can at the max play T20 as wickets are not so crucial.

Exactly....it is a game breaker........changes your approach to batting completely and ruins Test Cricket and one day cricket....you can at the max play T20 as wickets are not so crucial.

and the casual default mode is five5, regardless of what you last chose to play.

this is an arcade game, i'm convinced of it. we're just lucky there's the world's greatest bowling mechanic bolted onto it.

I totally agree - ive said elsewhere that the cutshot and square cut look really awkward. There is one in particular which I will get a photo of later which looks like something my nan played yesterday at our xmas bbq.
Did she do the mo-cop for some of the shots, as that would explain the few weird looking ones? jk mate, your comment really cracked me up. :)

0:55 that is a cover drive right !?

That's more of an off drive through mid off/extra cover area. The problem is that's the only direction you can play the drive on the off side and not any squarer. The whole arc between extra cover and cover point/point is not driveable. If AI puts extra cover fielder in there's no point playing an off drive coz the ball will go to extra cover or mid off fielder.

here's an experiment you can perform. Hit 20 or 30 off drives in a match and then check the wagon wheel. You will immediately see what I'm talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread