Aislabie's Photographs | Good food is always worth it

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
mNDkM.png

Keeping my brain active is very important; if my brain has too much time to itself, it can wander off to places that aren't healthy. One of the main ways I do that is by playing Scrabble; unfortunately, I've got quite good at it (by recreational standards, I mean: there are proper Scrabble players out there far better than me) which means that playing against people can be quite a good way of losing friends. As a result, I generally play against myself instead; to make it more challenging I often like to impose some rules on myself - no exchanging letters, for instance. In this case, the rule I imposed on myself was that I had to stay in the top-right corner until I couldn't put down any more letters. I scored 371 points in that corner.

Will get back to proper photography tomorrow!

Aislabie

Ireland
Bu1he.png

Welsh slate is renowned across Britain. While the miners in the North of England were fuelling Britain, the slate miners in Wales were roofing it. The building on the left of this photograph is the National Slate Museum in Llanberis. I've not been in because really, is that what I want to do with my day? In fact, I took this photo because even on a relatively bright summer's day, it seemed like quite an eerie, foreboding place. Which is strange, because it should be beautiful, nestled at the foot of the hills.

Horribly aware that it's just gone 3am. I hate my sleeping pattern.

zwarrior

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bu1he.png

Welsh slate is renowned across Britain. While the miners in the North of England were fuelling Britain, the slate miners in Wales were roofing it. The building on the left of this photograph is the National Slate Museum in Llanberis. I've not been in because really, is that what I want to do with my day? In fact, I took this photo because even on a relatively bright summer's day, it seemed like quite an eerie, foreboding place. Which is strange, because it should be beautiful, nestled at the foot of the hills.

Horribly aware that it's just gone 3am. I hate my sleeping pattern.
This is an amazing photo! These are the kind of places I totally fall in love with. Are you allowed to hike/trek on the hills/woods ?

Aislabie

Ireland
This is an amazing photo! These are the kind of places I totally fall in love with. Are you allowed to hike/trek on the hills/woods ?
Yep; that's why I happened to be walking past - I'd just been up Snowdon, and was going to have a look at the diving lake. I'll see if I have any photos of the lake because that too is a lovely spot.

top thread
Cheers Dave!

Aislabie

Ireland
kaIAw.png

The diving lake, as requested (ish) by @zwarrior. Usually not even labelled on maps given that it is tucked in next to Llyn Padarn and Llyn Peris, this beautiful little lake is home to the Vivian Diving Centre. I've never been here for diving though - I've never dived, and haven't even swum properly since I moved back from Australia - but when there are no divers about, this is an amazingly peaceful spot.

D

Dutch

kaIAw.png

The diving lake, as requested (ish) by @zwarrior. Usually not even labelled on maps given that it is tucked in next to Llyn Padarn and Llyn Peris, this beautiful little lake is home to the Vivian Diving Centre. I've never been here for diving though - I've never dived, and haven't even swum properly since I moved back from Australia - but when there are no divers about, this is an amazingly peaceful spot.
Reminds me of some places in NZ I visited. Beautiful

Aislabie

Ireland
1yK72.png

Winter in Wales is often every bit as pretty as the summer; today for example, the snow-capped mountains and cloudy skies lent a slightly different colour palette to the day. The result was almost ethereal, and made me very glad that I chose to go out for a walk.

Apologies for there being no photo yesterday - real life intervened. That said, today's photo was actually taken today, which is unusual for this thread.

Aislabie

Ireland
uq3tF.png

Summer in Wales is a little bit different to the winter photo posted previously: this photo was taken at Cable Bay near Rhosneigr; it was the perfect day to buy myself an ice cream, potter down to the water, and occasionally throw an American football at the mate who had driven me down. A "football"-related side-note: I find it easier to throw a spiral with my non-dominant hand, because my throwing motion left-handed is a little more like a dart. I also find it easier to throw a spiral right-handed if I throw the ball backhanded. Is this normal?

Aislabie

Ireland
dMVF4.png

Here we see a loyal fan watching the cricket at my league club in Wales (although admittedly it might not be my league club for much longer because I don't actually enjoy league cricket very much, even when I take wickets). Alfred here has been coming to cricket since he was very young. Although he doesn't completely understand the game, he knows not to cross the boundary rope when there's play going on, and likes to sit with whomever is batting next, presumably to calm them down. I want a dog badly.

Aislabie

Ireland
Rzki6.png

When I look at this photograph, it reminds me that I should aim to do something every day that makes me at least as happy as the horses were to see my friend and I near Holyhead. Now, in the interest of context, we had never met these horses before (or since), but they ran straight over to us in search of attention (which, obviously, we gave them). Well, the rather regal one on the left showed us no interest, but two out of three isn't at all bad!

Mijurkat

Mystery Monarch
India
CSK
Islamabad
Sydney Thunder
Southern Brave
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Nice photography with decent note.
Carry on.

Aislabie

Ireland
pj5Ek.png

The height of summer can seem a long way away when you live in North Wales in February. It's at times like this I enjoy taunting myself with summery travel photos: during this period in Lyon, temperatures topped out around forty degrees. I lived in Australia for a year (Brisbane, though I also went to Melbourne for the Boxing Day Test), but this day in Lyon was the hottest I've ever experienced. It was even too hot for my Australian friend (who I have sadly lost touch with - one of few genuine regrets I have in life) who joined me in staying in and reading in the coffee shop part of our hostel until the sun went down and provided a more sensible climate in which to eat dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread