All Time XI of different cricketers

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I can think of two greats who has made their All Time XI team list - Sir Donald Bradman and Richie Benaud. Here are their teams -

Bradman's All Time XI -

Barry Richards (South Africa)
Arthur Morris (Australia)
Don Bradman (Australia)
Sachin Tendulkar (India)
Garry Sobers (West Indies)
Don Tallon (Australia)
Ray Lindwall (Australia)
Dennis Lillee (Australia)
Alec Bedser (England)
Bill O'Reilly(Australia)
Clarrie Grimmett (Australia)

12th man Wally Hammond (England)

Richie Benaud's All Time XI -

Jack Hobbs (England)
Sunil Gavaskar (India)
Don Bradman (Australia)
Sachin Tendulkar (India)
Viv Richards (West Indies)
Imran Khan (Pakistan)
Gary Sobers (West Indies)
Adam Gilchrist (Australia)
Shane Warne (Australia)
Sydney Barnes England
Dennis Lillee (Australia)

12th man Wally Hammond (England)

Manager Frank Worrell (West Indies)

Now, besides these two gentlemen, can anyone of you think of any other cricketer who made their All Time XI team list, and if so please list them.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
Interesting. Lara has got 400 in a match, he is easily one of the greatest Test Batsmen ever yet for some reason he's not on either list. BTW he is 2nd in runs scored if I am not mistaken so kind of interesting how he is not on the either.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Interesting. Lara has got 400 in a match, he is easily one of the greatest Test Batsmen ever yet for some reason he's not on either list. BTW he is 2nd in runs scored if I am not mistaken so kind of interesting how he is not on the either.

These lists were probably made before Lara made the 400* and before he became #1 in runs scored. Tendulkar and Warne are the only modern players because these guys are including players they played against/with.

Owzat

International Coach
Can't take Bradman's too seriously with SEVEN aussies in the XI. It's also got too many bowlers, if they're good enough to make an 'all-time XI' then they're hardly going to be needing six bowling options. In fairness to him I would imagine it is harder for him to pick when most players would have been playing after his era, whereas Bitchie Renault had the advantage of playing later AND of being a commentator - and seemingly less biased.

How come neither could include one of Hadlee, Marshall, or in fact more of the great West Indians that dominated for TWO DECADES ?!? Their choices of spinner(s) I can go along with, that's one or two positions in a side and can be any one or two from lots with limited places, but surely they could find space for someone greater than Lillee?!? I'm not saying he wasn't a great bowler, but better than Marshall (who could also bat) or Hadlee (who could also bat) ?

I also think Tendulkar being in both perhaps reflects how over-rated Sachin is. Great batsman no doubt, but automatic walk into the all-time best XIs? I'm sure plenty on here and in certain parts of the world love to think he's better than Bradman, but I think he is one great batsman who has many many more (equal) peers than is readily recognised. I'd probably leave him out of mine even though his career has spanned throughout my following of cricket

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
People need to stop judging Lara on his 400. I wouldn't even rate it in his top 5 innings.

Owzat

International Coach
People need to stop judging Lara on his 400. I wouldn't even rate it in his top 5 innings.

Precisely. It would be like judging Gooch on his 333 when his 154no against West Indies at Headingley in 1991 was his best and one of the best innings of all time (in my opinion) I'd say Gooch's 154no was better than Lara's 400no

GOOCH 154no vs West Indies Headingley 1991

Gooch carried his bat in a total of 252 all out, the highest innings total of the match. Next highest score in the innings was 27, next highest score in the MATCH was 73 and only three batsmen made fifties - Robin Smith 54, Viv Richards 73 and Richie Richardson 68. England were 64/4 in their 1st innings, 124/6 in their 2nd and West Indies never made it past 175 in either innings with a batting line-up including Haynes, Richardson, Hooper, Richards, Logie, Dujon and Marshall. The bowling line-up for windies was Patterson, Ambrose, Marshall and Walsh on a good track for bowling. Gooch faced 331 balls and hit 18 fours.

LARA 400no vs England Antigua 2004

Lara made his 400no off 582 balls, 43 fours and four sixes in a total of 751/5d. The keeper Jacobs made 107no and Sarwan 90, Flintoff made 102 (1st innings) and Vaughan 140 (2nd innings) as England comfortably (in the end) batted out a draw at 422/5 in their 2nd innings. The bowling attack of Hoggard, Harmison, Flintoff, Jones and Batty might have been four of the five that did for the aussies in the 2005 Ashes, but on a flat track. Jacobs' 107no was one of only three hundreds he made, Flintoff didn't make lots either.

There were nine sixes in the Lara 400no match, Viv Richards hit the only two sixes of the Headingley match in his 73 which was a relative cameo off 98 balls. So Lara hit more sixes in his 400no than were in the entire Headingley Test, AND his 43 fours were more than were hit in BOTH 1st innings at Headingley (42) and only one less than were hit in BOTH 2nd innings (44) - so they only hit twice as many fours at Headingley as Lara managed on his own at Antigua in one knock

But the bottom line is batting records are all well and good, as are triples and record totals/lows etc. But it is bowling records that win matches, well at least wicket taking not most runs without a wicket etc. Bowling bests 8, 9 or even 10 wickets in an innings are far greater than 300+ scores because, even if the pitch favours bowling, the bowler can only bowl at one end and in spells so he has to take wickets where others aren't on a favourable pitch/conditions. Lara's 375 was more impressive, but even that was on a flat pitch, 593 scored by both sides 1st innings and against an attack of Fraser, Caddick, Lewis, Tufnell and Hick who'd get nowhere near a best ever England XI.

Bublu Bhuyan

School Cricketer
These lists were probably made before Lara made the 400* and before he became #1 in runs scored. Tendulkar and Warne are the only modern players because these guys are including players they played against/with.

Richie Benaud made his list in 2005. Lara scored that 400* in 2004 and became the highest Test run scorer in 2005.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/shane_warne/article2364258.ece

Shane Warne made a list of the top 50 players he played with or against in 2007. He also made a dream team of his along with that list but he deliberately didn't include any of those top 100 greatest players he mentioned he played with or against in that team.

His list -

50 Jamie Siddons
49 Darren Berry
48 Brian McMillan
47 Chris Cairns
46 Dilip Vengsarkar
45 Waqar Younis
44 Alec Stewart
43 Michael Atherton
42 Ravi Shastri
41 Justin Langer
40 Kapil Dev
39 Stuart MacGill
38 Sanath Jayasuriya
37 Stephen Harmison
36 Andy Flower
35 Michael Vaughan
34 Bruce Reid
33 Allan Donald
32 Robin Smith
31 Tim May
30 Kevin Pietersen
29 Shoaib Akhtar / Craig McDermott
28 Saeed Anwar / Mohammad Yousuf
27 Jacques Kallis / Shaun Pollock
26 Steve Waugh
25 Darren Lehmann
24 Brett Lee
23 Stephen Fleming
22 Martin Crowe
21 David Boon
20 Adam Gilchrist
19 Aravinda de Silva
18 Merv Hughes
17 Matthew Hayden
16 Andrew Flintoff
15 Graham Gooch
14 Rahul Dravid
13 Anil Kumble
12 Mark Waugh
11 Courtney Walsh
10 Ian Healy
9 Mark Taylor
8 Ricky Ponting
7 Muttiah Muralitharan
6 Wasim Akram
5 Glenn McGrath
4 Allan Border
3 Curtly Ambrose
2 Brian Lara
1 Sachin Tendulkar

Link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article6307539.ece

Also, I remember Christopher Martin-Jenkins in 2009 made a list of his 100 greatest Test cricketers.

His list -

1 Don Bradman

2 W.G. Grace

3 Garry Sobers

4 Shane Warne

5 Jack Hobbs

6 Viv Richards

7 S.F. Barnes

8 Walter Hammond

9 Sachin Tendulkar

10 Adam Gilchrist

11 Malcolm Marshall

12 Glenn McGrath

13 Muttiah Muralitharan

14 Imran Khan

15 Wilfred Rhodes

16 Keith Miller

17 Len Hutton

18 Ian Botham

19 Dennis Lillee

20 George Headley

21 Denis Compton

22 Fred Trueman

23 Bill O'Reilly

24 Brian Lara

25 Richard Hadlee

26 Sunil Gavaskar

27 F.R. Spofforth

28 Barry Richards

29 Alec Bedser

30 Victor Trumper

31 Ray Lindwall

32 Everton Weekes

33 Jim Laker

34 Wasim Akram

35 K.S. Ranjitsinhji

36 Waqar Younis

37 Graeme Pollock

38 Greg Chappell

39 Frank Worrell

40 Frank Woolley

41 Richie Benaud

42 Peter May

43 Herbert Sutcliffe

44 Graham Gooch

45 Clyde Walcott

46 Ken Barrington

47 Ricky Ponting

48 Kapil Dev

49 Harold Larwood

50 George Lohmann

51 Curtly Ambrose

52 Jacques Kallis

53 Geoffrey Boycott

54 Clarrie Grimmett

55 Allan Border

56 Learie Constantine

57 Javed Miandad

58 Kumar Sangakkara

59 Hedley Verity

60 Kevin Pietersen

61 Arthur Shrewsbury

62 Bishan Bedi

63 Steve Waugh

64 Les Ames

65 Stan McCabe

66 John Snow

67 Sanath Jayasuriya

68 Warwick Armstrong

69 Alan Knott

70 David Gower

71 Jack Gregory

72 Clive Lloyd

73 Martin Donnelly

74 Rahul Dravid

75 Ted Dexter

76 Andy Flower

77 Maurice Tate

78 Colin Cowdrey

79 Mahela Jayawardena

80 C.B. Fry

81 Bill Ponsford

82 Andrew Flintoff

83 Allan Donald

84 Gilbert Jessop

85 Michael Holding

86 Zaheer Abbas

87 Neil Harvey

88 Abdul Qadir

89 Brian Statham

90 Lance Gibbs

91 Ian Healy

92 Courtney Walsh

93 Graeme Smith

94 Bhagwat Chandrasekhar

95 C.T.B. Turner

96 Vijay Merchant

97 Shaun Pollock

98 Gordon Greenidge

99 Vinoo Mankad

100 Charlie Macartney

Link: ESPN Legends of Cricket - Top 25

ESPN in 2001 made a list of the top 25 greatest cricketers. There were 15 judges who collectively made the list. The judges were - Wasim Akram, Sunil Gavaskar, Richie Benaud, Sir Richard Hadlee, Dickie Bird, Michael Holding, Allan Border, John Knowles, Ian Botham, Robin Marlar, Ian Chappell, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Tony Cozier, Mike Procter, Martin Crowe

Here are the top 25 greatest cricketers according to those judges -

1 Sir Donald Bradman

2. Sir Garfield Sobers

3. Sir Vivian Richards

4. Shane Warne

5. Jack Hobbs

6. Dennis Lillee

7. Sachin Tendulkar

8. Imran Khan

9. Wally Hammond

10. Sunil Gavaskar

11. Ian Botham

12. Sir Richard Hadlee

13. Keith Miller

14. WG Crace

15. Graeme Pollock

16. Malcolm Marshall

17. Greg Chappell

18. George Headley

19. Sir Frank Worrell

20. Sir Leonard Hutton

21. Wasim Akram

22. Kapil Dev

23. Steve Waugh

24. Barry Richards

25. Allan Border

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Pretty interesting sides in the OP. I do like Richie Benaud's team, just that I'd pick Malcolm Marshall in place of Imran Khan, Barry Richards in place of Sunil Gavaskar, and if I was going for a team with Benaud's balance I'd have gone for Alan Knott as keeper. For the record, my side would be:

Barry Richards
Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Vivian Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist +
Shane Warne
Malcolm Marshall
Dennis Lillee
Sydney Barnes

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Barry Richards played only 4 tests so why is he considered an all time great?

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums...nluckiest-man-test-cricket-history-53876.html

Give that a read. One of my all-time favourite cricketers. All the footage I've seen of him, everything I've heard about him and everything I've read about him tells me that he was definitely one of the great batsmen in the history of the game. Such a shame that his career was ended so prematurely due to the Apartheid era and South Africa's ban from world sport.

Disappointed that I only brushed over his 325 in Australia in that article. I was recently reading about the innings, and saw a little video about it, and it just sounds like an incredible knock. Towards the end of the day Richards was just playing with the bowlers and challenging himself to see how good he really was. At one stage, the bowlers decided to bowl permanently leg-side, with a strong leg-side field, in the hope that they'd be able to contain him, but Richards just opened himself up and hit them inside-out over the off-side and picked up a number of boundaries. He was an incredible batsman, that had such a good eye. He moved so late, but when he did move, his movements were so fast and crisp, and the way he picked line and length was just masterful. He really is hugely under-rated by most people, I have no doubts that he would have gone on to be one of the best batsmen of all-time if he'd had the chance.

Last edited:

khalek

Panel of Selectors
YouTube - Barry Richards 129 Hampshire Vs Lancashire 1972 - I just found this posted by someone in the article, great innings. Looks like he had a very good hand-eye coordination to go with some wonderful footwork and him getting triple hundred against an Aussie attack with bowlers like Lillee in it just proves what a great batsman he was. It's indeed very unfortunate that guys like Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock could not go on to play more test matches.

My all-time would also have guys like Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott, they were unbelievably great players too.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
Its very difficult to have the best players of all time. You have to consider a couple of things, first off the best player should be the player that makes the most difference in any game. I would say Warne has probably the worst lists I have ever seen for the top 50 players really I don't know what he was on but thats just all wrong.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Its very difficult to have the best players of all time. You have to consider a couple of things, first off the best player should be the player that makes the most difference in any game. I would say Warne has probably the worst lists I have ever seen for the top 50 players really I don't know what he was on but thats just all wrong.

How is it all wrong when its his list? You make yours and we will see what comes out.
Its a list of players he played with/against.

ballers101

Club Cricketer
The reason being that he only judged players which he faced, and how good they played against Australia I mean that's kind of unfair don't you think? For example, Stephen Harmison is ahead of Waqar Younis, I am sorry but there is no comparision Waqar Younis is one of the best pace bowlers ever where Harmison is no where near Waqar's ability.

Last edited:

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
The reason being that he only judged players which he faced, and how good they played against Australia I mean that's kind of unfair don't you think?

No, not really. There is a reason he put Tendulkar and Lara 1st and 2nd because they probably played him the best in his career and he found them the hardest to bowl at.
You cant say "o its not fair that he made a list of who he thinks is the best".

For example, Stephen Harmison is ahead of Waqar Younis, I am sorry but there is no comparision Waqar Younis is one of the best pace bowlers ever where Harmison is no where near Waqar's ability.

He probably had more great battles against Harmison then Waqar. Also the Ashes might have something to do with it.
Cant say I agree with his list but it is his.

Users who are viewing this thread