All Time XI of different cricketers

Can't fit Sobers and Kallis in the one side. Where does Kallis bat? at 4? if so then Viv Richards, Sachin Tendulkar, Graeme Pollock, Brian Lara to name a few are imo ahead of him.

Imran Khan and Keith Miller were also very fine all rounders and were elite bowlers as well as being classy with the bat and I would put them in ahead of him if there was room for an extra all rounder.

That is fair enough, for me personally though I couldn't fit him. Definitely in a S African all time team and definitely in the team of the decade as well.

I wouldn't know who to take out of a middle order of Bradman, Tendulkar, Pollock and Sobers with Gilchrist at 7.

Link: ESPN Legends of Cricket - Top 25

ESPN in 2001 made a list of the top 25 greatest cricketers. There were 15 judges who collectively made the list. The judges were - Wasim Akram, Sunil Gavaskar, Richie Benaud, Sir Richard Hadlee, Dickie Bird, Michael Holding, Allan Border, John Knowles, Ian Botham, Robin Marlar, Ian Chappell, Christopher Martin-Jenkins, Tony Cozier, Mike Procter, Martin Crowe

Here are the top 25 greatest cricketers according to those judges -

1 Sir Donald Bradman

2. Sir Garfield Sobers

3. Sir Vivian Richards

4. Shane Warne

5. Jack Hobbs

6. Dennis Lillee

7. Sachin Tendulkar

8. Imran Khan

9. Wally Hammond

10. Sunil Gavaskar

11. Ian Botham

12. Sir Richard Hadlee

13. Keith Miller

14. WG Crace

15. Graeme Pollock

16. Malcolm Marshall

17. Greg Chappell

18. George Headley

19. Sir Frank Worrell

20. Sir Leonard Hutton

21. Wasim Akram

22. Kapil Dev

23. Steve Waugh

24. Barry Richards

25. Allan Border

Just to ask a question to some people. Now these are 15 Judges and I believe this is a really good list probably the best out of the other 2 but why is it that Murali is not there?

Also dare, I'll agree that it is his list and if he feels that Harmison played better than Waqar against himself then that's his own opinion. I just personally don't think that he is giving enough credit to some of these players.

Last edited:
Just to ask a question to some people. Now these are 15 Judges and I believe this is a really good list probably the best out of the other 2 but why is it that Murali is not there?

The list was made a while back I think and Murali was a good way behind but I'm not 100% sure.

I just personally don't think that he is giving enough credit to some of these players.

neither do I.

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sir Don Bradman (c)
4. Sir Garfield Sobers
5. Brian Lara
6. Ricky Ponting
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

That'll be by all time Test XI

My ODI XI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Mathew Hayden
3. Viv Richards (c)
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Michael Bevan
7. MS. Dhoni
8. Wasim Akram
9. Allan Donald
10. Waqar Younis
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

For me Kallis, Sobers and Imran Khan would be three people who would be in my team for sure.

I always have the last 2 but somehow manage to leave out Kallis.

Dare added 4 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Sir Don Bradman (c)
4. Sir Garfield Sobers
5. Brian Lara
6. Ricky Ponting
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Richard Hadlee
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Garry Sobers
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

This would be mine, a few changes but allot would be the same.

The list was made a while back I think and Murali was a good way behind but I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah, ESPN made that list in 2001. Around about the time Murali started to become prolific.

I always have the last 2 but somehow manage to leave out Kallis.

Dare added 4 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Mathew Hayden
3. Sir Don Bradman
4. Viv Richards
5. Garry Sobers
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Shane Warne
9. Malcolm Marshall
10. Glenn McGrath
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

This would be mine, a few changes but allot would be the same.

No Sachin? :eek:
I can agree with the rest, Hadlee for Imran was very close for me so was Gilchrist or Knott. Where's Sachin????? Isn' there an extra bowler as well? Wouldn't it be better to reduce a bowler and go for an exra batsman?

Last edited:
No Sachin? :eek:
I can agree with the rest, Hadlee for Imran was very close for me so was Gilchrist or Knott. Where's Sachin?????

In the 2nd Test XI :p. If I include Sachin then there is no way I can leave out Ponting and Lara. Which would mean leaving out Imran, Viv.

Also Sachin is not a opener in tests, Ponting spent most of his career batting at #3. I don't like moving guys around the order just for the sake of having them in the team.

In the 2nd Test XI :p. If I include Sachin then there is no way I can leave out Ponting and Lara. Which would mean leaving out Imran, Viv.

Also Sachin is not a opener in tests, Ponting spent most of his career batting at #3. I don't like moving guys around the order just for the sake of having them in the team.

Yeah but it's not like he can't play the new ball. I'd play him as an opener plus I prefer Ponting and Lara over Viv in tests.

Yeah but it's not like he can't play the new ball. I'd play him as an opener plus I prefer Ponting and Lara over Viv in tests.

For me there would be nothing better then seeing Bradman and Viv on the pitch at the same time just carting the bowlers around.

For me there would be nothing better then seeing Bradman and Viv on the pitch at the same time just carting the bowlers around.

To each his own :)

My ODI XI:

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Mathew Hayden
3. Viv Richards (c)
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Jacques Kallis
6. Michael Bevan
7. MS. Dhoni
8. Wasim Akram
9. Allan Donald
10. Waqar Younis
11. Mutiah Muralitharan

UMMMMM......Dhoni wow especially after the whole Dhoni Vs Gilchrist. I am just confused by the decision, it's clear that Gilly is the greatest wicketkeeper in ODI history and choosing Dhoni is just absurd to me.

UMMMMM......Dhoni wow especially after the whole Dhoni Vs Gilchrist. I am just confused by the decision, it's clear that Gilly is the greatest wicketkeeper in ODI history and choosing Dhoni is just absurd to me.

Well it's just that I prefer Dhoni down the order over Gilly. Sure Gilly is the better keeper, no doubt but Dhoni can bat extremely well under pressure especially down the order with 10-12 overs remaining. My money's on Dhoni (even though I prefer to watch Gilly over Dhoni).

Plus: Flat track bully or not, an average of 51 is kind of hard to ignore wouldn't you agree? Especially if the guy's runs per innings is more than Gilly's average.

Users who are viewing this thread