TENNIS AO Tennis

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Had a good go on the latest build today and wow it's getting close to an incredible tennis sim. Didn't play the very early builds (got the game maybe a month ago) but now really feels like you have to think about what shot to play, get punished for being too aggressive (with less control), and are rewarded for good positioning, playing the ball deep and maneuvering your opponent around the court.

I'm playing on pro, about 15 weeks into first season as new player and just made a semi (tee hee) after 4 straight second round exits. Couple of observations, made in the knowledge some of this is likely down to my own skill or lack of:

AI double faults seem ''predictable" - happen on first point of a game (and match) far more often than anything else and seem to be set to 4 or 5 a set every time.

The diving volleys are awesome but as pointed out elsewhere seem a bit overpowered in the sense the AI will almost never fail to make one and often does it a couple of times in the same rally.

I can't work out smashes. AI belts it I gently flick to the corner (this is almost certainly a skill thing)

Serving for human players still feels a bit too forgiving - I'm not great but rarely drop below 80-90% first serve percentage

Prize money and skill points in career feel a bit off. You win the same if you get knocked out in R1 or lose in the final. With the skill points your individual bits (forehand, serve etc) seem in line with players of similar overall rating but the attributes (strength, speed) are miles below. Doesn't seem to make much difference but seems odd.

''round of tournament" seems to make more difference than opponent skill rating. In other words if find a 42 overall player in the quarters tougher than a 50 in R2. This may be a feature (form etc) but thought worth mentioning.

These are just suggestions/observations really, as a tennis fan I can't remember enjoying a game more. Look forward to seeing what future patches bring.

Oh and cheers to LlewellynF. Don't know what you do for a living to have time to knock up all these players and stadia but it's much much appreciated.

Great post, I haven’t played for a few days, I think I need to pick my racket up again and get out on the court :)

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
Is there an option to use academy player for career? Would be nice to have.. Tried starting a career but had created a player in academy but there was no "Copy From Academy" option like the other games have..

Llewelynf

FRIEDLELE
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is there an option to use academy player for career? Would be nice to have.. Tried starting a career but had created a player in academy but there was no "Copy From Academy" option like the other games have..
Create the player then use him as star player

BittuGamz

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Hi, please provide an option to customise controls or at least change the control of the challenge button from LT + RT. Cause sometimes accidentally press LT + RT thinking to hit powerful inside-out shot.

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Hi, please provide an option to customise controls or at least change the control of the challenge button from LT + RT. Cause sometimes accidentally press LT + RT thinking to hit powerful inside-out shot.

Out of curiosity, why do you have your finger potentially triggering the LT button while performing an aggressive shot? You are given a decent amount of time to challenge after a call is made, so chances are you won't miss the opportunity even if you have to move to from another location on the controller to trigger it.

BittuGamz

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
Out of curiosity, why do you have your finger potentially triggering the LT button while performing an aggressive shot? You are given a decent amount of time to challenge after a call is made, so chances are you won't miss the opportunity even if you have to move to from another location on the controller to trigger it.

In the middle of a rally sometimes I go for inside-out shot (LT) and by mistake I press RT(aggressive shot) at the same time. So a challenge is being called in between.

Last edited:

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Just a comment about time of day. In all my Futures events now, every match is always played at same time of day (not far from noon)

It would be great if this could be tweaked as follows

Every round up to the semi finals, the time of day is random with say 10% chance playing at night and 90% chance playing in either morning, afternoon or dusk
Semi final and final always play in afternoon

Fairly basic but would work well ?

imported_beatle

Club Captain
Still noticing that the speed display units are for some reason not showing on downloadeded venues(Wimbledon centre and no1 flushing meadows outside courts)I have got them selected and they show in the Venue creator.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
Also as commented by some one else

The AI serves a double fault far too often on first point of a game
Again more random would be better or weight it to be more more likely to happen when 0-30 or breakpoint down or make AI sometimes go for 2 big serves at 40-0 causing the occasion double fault etc

Andrea

School Cricketer
Hello everyone, I do some advertising, I'm creating a lot of players ... if you want to take a look. You can find them on this account https://twitter.com/Andrea75vt1

I wanted to ask if it was possible to add the choice of outfit before each game for both players. So in Wimbledon you can play all in white like reality. A greeting

Serchenko

School Cricketer
I wanted to ask if it was possible to add the choice of outfit before each game for both players. So in Wimbledon you can play all in white like reality. A greeting
Hi Andrea, what you are asking is already available in the game, you can choose the outfit for both players in all the modes..

I agree with @zimrahil suggestions for the time of the day in carreer mode and to do riskier the second serve.

Maybe this could be managed by a new stat, something like "mentality" or "composure" that applies more or less speed to the marker of the second serve or even the first serve on critical situation like a break point or a set/match point.

Cave80

Post of the Month July 2018
Hi,
I would like to know if someone from software house has read my post abput serve....
What about ace issue?
What about top spin height issue?
What about player speed issue?
Do you think you will try to fix those problems?
Thanks

Andrea

School Cricketer
Hi Andrea, what you are asking is already available in the game, you can choose the outfit for both players in all the modes..

I agree with @zimrahil suggestions for the time of the day in carreer mode and to do riskier the second serve.

Maybe this could be managed by a new stat, something like "mentality" or "composure" that applies more or less speed to the marker of the second serve or even the first serve on critical situation like a break point or a set/match point.

But you are sure? To me in career has made to choose only to mine

imported_beatle

Club Captain
But you are sure? To me in career has made to choose only to mine
I noticed in earlier stages your career players uniform changed back to the default after saving the game.I haven't played career mode for a while so I don't know if this as been sorted.[DOUBLEPOST=1533027905][/DOUBLEPOST]
I noticed in earlier stages your career players uniform changed back to the default after saving the game.I haven't played career mode for a while so I don't know if this as been sorted.
I cannot remember if you could choose your opponents uniform or whether that also reverted back to default after saving the game.

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
You get given the choice before the loading screen for the match when you choose your outfit, once confirmed you can then choose the outfit for your opponent unless it's a generic player then they will only have the one Big Ant made for them. Licensed/created players you'll get to change their outfit if they have more than one.

Users who are viewing this thread