TENNIS AO Tennis

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Thanks for clarification, I wasn't aware of that. In which case... ouch.

I was shocked as well. Lot of people were commenting that the "Day One" patch wasn't applied and the guy responded he had already applied the 1.03 patch which was nearly 6 GB. Surely if that wasn't Day one patch then I would've to say the game's nothing but patches. I'm disappointed coz I was really looking forward to successor of Top Spin 4 but surely AO Tennis isn't that. Hoping "Tennis World Tour" is better.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
How can I day one patch be 6gb.....that's like the whole game!!!

As I said it's almost as if the game's a patch and TBF it's playing like one as well. And folks with limited bandwidth will be p***ed coz it takes a lot to download 6GB of data and IMO it's unfair to the consumers to expect them to download a 6GB patch before the game can be played.

D

Dutch

As I said it's almost as if the game's a patch and TBF it's playing like one as well. And folks with limited bandwidth will be p***ed coz it takes a lot to download 6GB of data and IMO it's unfair to the consumers to expect them to download a 6GB patch before the game can be played.
It just makes you wonder....I mean a normally developed game is usually finished within a certain time before release surely......the way of doing it like this means that the game is being rushed towards a release date.....that cant be good.....

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
just my 2 penny: if i had judged Big Ant games by the first impression videos, probably i wouldnt have bought them. You need to play them a little
to see if you can get a rewarding experience somehow (for example, setting the fields for the AI in dbc17).

I watched a little more of the stream, and you can notice some positive. Not all the rallies are bad, indeed the main problem it seems that
when you mistime the shot, the animation is very ugly and half skipped (the same happens in dbc).
If you watch this stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/218104055 after 22 minutes there are some nice rallies.
The people in the chat are talking about the same problem with the animations.

tennis1.jpg

D

Deleted member 9102

The animations were bad in the AIvAI match on hard mode though, I don't buy into it being down to user-controlled mistimed shots.

Nadal doesn't even have his signature forehand, Goffin hit a one-handed backhand, all serves look the same, loads of animations re-used between male and female players... Animation is just awful in general.

Even Top Spin 1 15 years ago had more signature animations for players and probably better animation overall;

I don't understand what AO Tennis is trying to be... It's not a sim to rival Full Ace or TE, and it doesn't look like good arcadey fun like TS/VT...

francobaldo1

Fearsome tweak legend...
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The animations were bad in the AIvAI match on hard mode though, I don't buy into it being down to user-controlled mistimed shots.

Nadal doesn't even have his signature forehand, Goffin hit a one-handed backhand, all serves look the same, loads of animations re-used between male and female players... Animation is just awful in general.

Even Top Spin 1 15 years ago had more signature animations for players and probably better animation overall;

I don't understand what AO Tennis is trying to be... It's not a sim to rival Full Ace or TE, and it doesn't look like good arcadey fun like TS/VT...

you got a point, however i still want to see a good player playing this game. In my opinion there is a big problem with the mistimed shots.
Another thing, the strength in BA games was always the multiplayer on the same pc/console, so im sure there are a lot of people that would buy every year
a cricket/rugby from them, because that is great (this is to answer the common "why they have released THIS???" that i hear many times on the forums)

cricket_online

ICC Board Member

you got a point, however i still want to see a good player playing this game. In my opinion there is a big problem with the mistimed shots.
Another thing, the strength in BA games was always the multiplayer on the same pc/console, so im sure there are a lot of people that would buy every year
a cricket/rugby from them, because that is great (this is to answer the common "why they have released THIS???" that i hear many times on the forums)

You can always find a reason to look past animations if the gameplay is good. But the doubles match showed completely broken gameplay. The players at the net were rooted to a spot and let balls whiz by and the doubles play didn't resemble actual tennis at all. Also, there was no difference in how clay court, grass court and hard courts played. Other than change in color there was no difference in gameplay in terms of bounce, speed, players sliding etc. Plus you didn't see any ball mark on the clay court. The user playing the game confirmed on twitch stream that there were no ball marks on the court. Other than looking a weird shade of orange/red the clay court played the exact same way as a hard court. That's a staggering step back even from the PS3 games like Top Spin 4 which came out 7 years back!

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I am not a hardcore tennis game player but I think if the day 1 patch was applied by looking at things it looks really poor standard. The doubles match looked so bad I just stopped viewing the stream. Nadal celebrating after every point looked bad and cringe worthy. To be honest Big Ant I think have very nicely adopted the approach where release the game and put patches in to complete it. I have been a great fan of BA games especially DBC 14 and Ashes Cricket, but as I have experienced and seen its not an approach that will last too much for BA. Cricket fans were desperate for a game but Tennis fans would be more mature.

D

Deleted member 9102

If you're on PC, I seriously recommend keeping a look out for the new Full Ace, which will be releasing on Steam at some point in the near future. On @beechcroft's recommendation I purchased it and got involved with the beta; it's got excellent gameplay fundamentals.

Controls that allow almost any shot to be attempted, excellent physics (speed/bounce differs between courts), realistic pace and patterns of play, far better animations than the last version, very moddable textures/sounds. It has so much potential, and the developer has great passion for the project.

Here's a little peek at a point played online in the beta;

passarapin

Associate Captain
AUS..
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
If you're on PC, I seriously recommend keeping a look out for the new Full Ace, which will be releasing on Steam at some point in the near future. On @beechcroft's recommendation I purchased it and got involved with the beta; it's got excellent gameplay fundamentals.

Controls that allow almost any shot to be attempted, excellent physics (speed/bounce differs between courts), realistic pace and patterns of play, far better animations than the last version, very moddable textures/sounds. It has so much potential, and the developer has great passion for the project.

Here's a little peek at a point played online in the beta;

Looks great,
I’ve been hanging out for the new full ace. Any idea when it will be released?

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
For some weird reason the Australian Open shop which had a link to buy the game has removed the game. The link is also part of the mobile game which now shows product not found.

mattk

Club Captain
We're a day out from release and there's no officially released gameplay from Big Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread