Ashes 2015 - Australia tour of England July/September 2015

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Have to agree. I've watched loads of Lyth and he is a good player. He is a good fielder and seems to have settled in to the squad in terms of personality. How many more openers will we get through and not give time to? The only other option is to bring in Hales now and stick with him for a long time.

Bell looked better at 3 on his home pitch, and was crap again at TB, but at least his fielding improved. This means that we should only pick Bell at Edgbaston!

Someone who has gotten away with minimal criticism from the media is Butler. Truly dreadful with the bat, some dodgy patches with the gloves (alongside some amazingly good catches) and in my opinion should not be picked for Tests. Jonny B is good enough with the gloves and a far better batsmen, at least in Test matches. This would open up space for Rashid to come in for UAE.

Just read an article on BBC about someone called Mason Crane. Anyone seen him play live?

Seen him once. He does look promising. He's keeping Danny Briggs out of the team in all formats, which is doing his T20 WC hopes no good.

Crane is 19 and has only played a handful of 1st team games though. Think we need to see a second and third season before we judge him. Just look at Adam Riley. What's happened to him?

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Seen him once. He does look promising. He's keeping Danny Briggs out of the team in all formats, which is doing his T20 WC hopes no good.

Crane is 19 and has only played a handful of 1st team games though. Think we need to see a second and third season before we judge him. Just look at Adam Riley. What's happened to him?

Doubt he'll keep him out of the T20 QF tomorrow night, can't see him playing in it really. Hopefully he can keep up what he's been doing particularly in the longer format for the rest of the season though as he's bowled brilliantly in FC cricket so far, compliments the pace of Fidel Edwards really well.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Support Yorkshire perchance? ;)

Sure am![DOUBLEPOST=1439486779][/DOUBLEPOST]

Not sure, but a lot of spinners from England seem to have one good season in the CC etc. and then disappear!

Dingo Ate Me Baby

School Cricketer
The lack of spinning talent in England is a little worrying. If Moeen Ali is the best of the lot then we have serious problems in the UAE. Rashid should be given a chance for sure and if he has a good tour of the UAE then he should be our frontline spinner. Other than that it's slim pickings, Riley has disappeared off the face of the earth. Crane has been mentioned here and he does look very good indeed but too early to suggest he's going to be picked for England. Then there is Ansari who looks a decent left arm spinner. Other than that, there isn't much going on spin wise. Good job our fast bowlers are right on the money.

War

Chairman of Selectors
8852407.png

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Tom Westley might be a good shout for the Pakistan series. The Sky commentators always seem to be bigging him up, can bowl spin too.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Has anyone managed to watch any of the women's Ashes this year? I haven't been able to find a stream anywhere but from reading the reports, sounds like England have been a disgrace. Under 2 an over two innings in a row? Nowhere near good enough at any level. They got given full-time contracts in May 2014, it's about time they start to show they deserve their contracts, or it's time to bring in some new players.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
it's about time they start to show they deserve their contracts

they have won the last load of womens ashes before central contracts, a team is allowed to have a terrible series.

they still can retain the Ashes if they manage to win both T20s, I dunno whether that is at all likely.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
they have won the last load of womens ashes before central contracts, a team is allowed to have a terrible series.

they still can retain the Ashes if they manage to win both T20s, I dunno whether that is at all likely.

Just to clarify, I didn't mean this about women's contracts generally, but the players who are in the team specifically.

I don't know if its likely either, but I think they should be very disappointed with the performances in the Test. To get more people to go and watch women's cricket, they need to entertain, and a home Ashes series was the perfect chance.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
I'm pretty sure that's the first ever Test match to be broadcast on Live TV: certainly only the ODIs and T20s were broadcast in the last few series since they switched to the odd new format. Its not something that will change overnight; so you shouldn't directly compare Womens and Mens cricket at this time. Honestly for half the game England weren't thinking of "entertaining cricket", they were thinking of trying to save the game and I'd imagine that the mens team would do the same in a similar situation.

The womens game is very different to the mens one: the pitches are a lot less flat because there is less demand for them and power hitting isn't such a big part of the game - womens T20s are interesting to watch because of that. It was a particularly boring game, but TBH I've seen worse, at least there was some good bowling and a result which is more than we got in a few Tests last year!

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Has anyone managed to watch any of the women's Ashes this year? I haven't been able to find a stream anywhere but from reading the reports, sounds like England have been a disgrace. Under 2 an over two innings in a row? Nowhere near good enough at any level. They got given full-time contracts in May 2014, it's about time they start to show they deserve their contracts, or it's time to bring in some new players.

you missed nothing. been a shocking standard of cricket on both sides to be fair.

there was one in the last match where the aussie lass bowled a terrible slow long hop, english girl ducked it like it was a bumper from michael holding, and it clipped her leg stump on the way down... comical.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
so owing to the shocking selection policies of England / Ian Bell obviously having pictures of the odious Giles Clarke defiling the corpse of a dormouse, I guess I have lost my bet with @cooks1st100 - anyone give me a tip on how to transfer vcash?

i would just point out Ballance was outscoring Bell when he was dropped; that Bell is shit; and all this has done is make me hate Bell even more.

Users who are viewing this thread