Ashes 2015 - Australia tour of England July/September 2015

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Yeah Anderson is not going to do that job ... but I did like Wood, and I think he should have done that job for England. To bowl fast and full and not let the batsman settle into any kind of rythm.

From what I was hearing on the commentary, it seems Wood struggles with back to back matches due to injuries. This isn't great. I mean he dropped to 82mph consistently at one point. But he has potential, certianly. Finn has the pace but I don't think he has the control to bowl full and fast all the time.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Ballance dropped & Bell promoted to 3.

You drop both or just Bell; dropping just Ballance is a disgrace. It is a message for every English cricketer that if you have an unorthodox technique you will be jettisoned at the first bad patch, have a nice technique you can fail indefinitely.

It cannot be stated enough that Ballance has outscored Bell the whole time he has been in the side, including in this series; Bell has failed whenever he has been tried at 3 and in fact has never been successful batting higher than 5.

When Bell fails at 3 as he surely well, the entire selection committe up to and including Strauss should be fired.

Awwww!!!

Drop both or just Bell! I mean, haven't the selectors been reading what your totally transparent views are?

And yes, Strauss and the entire selection panel should be fired. I'm sure, such knee jerk actions will completely put English cricket on top.

Anyway, going to go to bed laughing hard. Do keep the GB line of excuses coming. Your posts make up for my dislike of comics.

Hooper

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I know this might sound a bit silly, being an England fan and all, but I hope Rogers is fit for Edgbaston. He's been great to watch and showed how to open an Innings.
Respect man. [HASHTAG]#rogers[/HASHTAG]

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
So, what about the Bell conundrum? I've long maintained he shouldn't be in the team and I still maintain that now. England are damaging their hopes by batting Ali so low, he is a top or middle order batsman. The inclusion of Bairstow is a good one, let's get Ali in their, drop Bell and add Rashid into the side if fit.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
So, what about the Bell conundrum? I've long maintained he shouldn't be in the team and I still maintain that now. England are damaging their hopes by batting Ali so low, he is a top or middle order batsman. The inclusion of Bairstow is a good one, let's get Ali in their, drop Bell and add Rashid into the side if fit.

It seems to me like the management are going to stick with Bell for the series. He deserves to be dropped, and not just because of his batting, but because his fielding has also been rubbish. I agree with you that Ali should bat higher up, but I'd be tempted to bring in Finn instead of Rashid, depending on the track of course.

It's the right decision to bring in Bairstow, I just hope he scores some runs, because people get on players backs so quickly these days.

D

Deleted member 149013

So, what about the Bell conundrum?

It’s an embarrassing decision by England one that will go around the international cricket world and also will filter down into county cricket as a negative message.

There saying he is the best English number 3. I can only guess it was a decision made under the influence of some form of drugs or maybe alcohol it could of even been a spelling mistake and it was too late to change it.

It looks like England want an established team and unchanged but they don’t who know there best eleven is, if it’s the currant one then it’s floored with batsman out of position and no full time spinner.

I would of dropped Bell and Ballance this is to represent England and they haven’t been good enough.

I would of went with:

Cook

Lyth

Root

Ali

Bairstow

Taylor

Stokes

Rashid

Plunkett

Broad

Anderson

Would of rested Wood and Buttler for 1 match.

Finn not sure bowling in the low 80’s and the possibility of a slow pitch can’t see any effect he would have.

cricket_icon

International Cricketer

I would keep Buttles in there but I agree with resting Woods. I've heard he is fragile and he didn't always look at his best last test. Then again, he has had over a week of and I'm not sure if Plunkett is a useful inclusion. if only Jordan wasn't injured.

I still rue the way the ECB treated Finn, oh what could have been

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
It seems to me like the management are going to stick with Bell for the series. He deserves to be dropped, and not just because of his batting, but because his fielding has also been rubbish. I agree with you that Ali should bat higher up, but I'd be tempted to bring in Finn instead of Rashid, depending on the track of course.

It's the right decision to bring in Bairstow, I just hope he scores some runs, because people get on players backs so quickly these days.

Agreed, Bairstow deserves a long shot at this, one or two matches isn't enough at the highest level. I wouldn't mind bringing Finn in but he isn't what he used to be and that's quite sad. Add to that the slowness of the pitches this season, I feel Rashid might be a better option, plus he can bat a bit too. With Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Wood/whoever else, England have enough pacemen in their attack.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Agreed, Bairstow deserves a long shot at this, one or two matches isn't enough at the highest level. I wouldn't mind bringing Finn in but he isn't what he used to be and that's quite sad. Add to that the slowness of the pitches this season, I feel Rashid might be a better option, plus he can bat a bit too. With Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Wood/whoever else, England have enough pacemen in their attack.

We have some quick bowlers, but not an out and out fast bowler, which would makes me fancy Finn a bit! But as you say, the pitches would probably help another Spinner.

I remember when Finn first came onto the scene and I was so excited. Its a real shame he hasn't fulfilled his potential.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
We have some quick bowlers, but not an out and out fast bowler, which would makes me fancy Finn a bit! But as you say, the pitches would probably help another Spinner.

I remember when Finn first came onto the scene and I was so excited. Its a real shame he hasn't fulfilled his potential.

Finn is far from an out and out quick these days though he's been bowling at Broad's pace the few games I've watched.

dp458

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Finn is far from an out and out quick these days though he's been bowling at Broad's pace the few games I've watched.

Finn has been trudging in this year in the low to mid 80s that's all, but his control seems to be a lot better than it ever did.

Interesting question is, now woakes is back fit and playing and doing alright and as he was man in possession last summer and over the winter, does he slot in ahead of Finn.

I'm not sure he should, as Finn offers height, but in England's ever increasing desire to pick 11batsman he certainly helps

Bairstow needs the rest of the series at least, although I'm not convinced by his technique, lyth and bell are on there last chances with hales and Taylor probably the next cabs off the rank

Last edited:

richowebbo

County Cricketer

He was bowling pretty quick in the one dayers against NZ as well, hitting 90 regularly.

I think he's taken the pace off a bit to sort out his technique.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Finn has been trudging in this year in the low to mid 80s that's all, but his control seems to be a lot better than it ever did.

Interesting question is, now woakes is back fit and playing and doing alright and as he was man in possession last summer and over the winter, does he slot in ahead of Finn.

I'm not sure he should, as Finn offers height, but in England's ever increasing desire to pick 11batsman he certainly helps

Bairstow needs the rest of the series at least, although I'm not convinced by his technique, lyth and bell are on there last chances with hales and Taylor probably the next cabs off the rank

I'm a really big fan of Woakes, but I think he will eventually take Jimmys place in the side, as he's a good swing bowler.

I think Lyth should be given the rest of the series regardless. We'e so quick to dump players thee days. I've been banging on about Taylor fo 4 or 5 years it seems! I'm not sure he'll get a chance in the near future, which is a massive shame. Hales looks good, and after the series, if Lyth hasn't worked out, I think he'll be next in the opener role.

Users who are viewing this thread