Ashes Cricket 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
my guess given the time frame they have for this game is that it will be pretty similar to the current ashes game with most of problems,issues and deficiencies will still exist.
I would rather hear that the game will have beautifully rendered ashes venues rather than an enhanced stadium creator.Making that better is low hanging fruit it could hardly be worse.
It would have to be significantly better for me to part with £50-60 again.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
my guess given the time frame they have for this game is that it will be pretty similar to the current ashes game with most of problems,issues and deficiencies will still exist.
I would rather hear that the game will have beautifully rendered ashes venues rather than an enhanced stadium creator.Making that better is low hanging fruit it could hardly be worse.
It would have to be significantly better for me to part with £50-60 again.
One thing BA don't get enough credit for is the recreations of the licensed stadiums in Ashes. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with grounds in England & Wales. I spent several weeks painting the pavilion at Edgbaston (on canvas not the actual place), so it will be cool to see how it looks in game. The non-licensed stadiums look great too.

As for the stadium creator, I have used it A LOT, either tweaking other people's designs or creating my own for just about every team I've shared in the academy. There are probably a dozen things that could make it better; quality of life stuff, ease of use, adding a few more buildings or backdrops, if possible allow us to use some assets from the non-licensed stadiums. But, I'd say it's more than good enough. The same goes for the player creation. If you are able to put the time into it you can get results that are good enough.

The really big problems with Ashes is the meta-game (that's probably incorrect use of meta, but what the hell). Simulation, AI run chasing, target setting, AI bowling, field setting, the lack of variety in how the AI teams approach things, attributes and skills either having no in-game relevance or being wildly inconsistent. Actual batting and bowling as a human is a decent experience, aside from the obvious issues; some shots being overpowered and the odd one that goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
I reckon the ability to put a roof so we could make marvel stadium also I thought a cool idea would be you can edit the crowd capacity to add more realism[DOUBLEPOST=1545564690][/DOUBLEPOST]And also hopefully the can fix the fps glitch when you played night games

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
One thing BA don't get enough credit for is the recreations of the licensed stadiums in Ashes. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with grounds in England & Wales. I spent several weeks painting the pavilion at Edgbaston (on canvas not the actual place), so it will be cool to see how it looks in game. The non-licensed stadiums look great too.

As for the stadium creator, I have used it A LOT, either tweaking other people's designs or creating my own for just about every team I've shared in the academy. There are probably a dozen things that could make it better; quality of life stuff, ease of use, adding a few more buildings or backdrops, if possible allow us to use some assets from the non-licensed stadiums. But, I'd say it's more than good enough. The same goes for the player creation. If you are able to put the time into it you can get results that are good enough.

The really big problems with Ashes is the meta-game (that's probably incorrect use of meta, but what the hell). Simulation, AI run chasing, target setting, AI bowling, field setting, the lack of variety in how the AI teams approach things, attributes and skills either having no in-game relevance or being wildly inconsistent. Actual batting and bowling as a human is a decent experience, aside from the obvious issues; some shots being overpowered and the odd one that goes 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

i know that you have put hundreds of hours into ashed cricket but which non licensed stadiums in your opinion look great.

Thanks

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
I reckon the ability to put a roof so we could make marvel stadium also I thought a cool idea would be you can edit the crowd capacity to add more realism[DOUBLEPOST=1545564690][/DOUBLEPOST]And also hopefully the can fix the fps glitch when you played night games

Seems they've had that fps issue with night matches in all games they've put out, had it with past cricket games, RLL series and AO as well.

DAP

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Hello People,
Sorry if this has already been posted on this forum. I went for a basic search but didn't find one, so here it is. I just got through this video from PAX AUS 2018 where Ross is heard discussing about a possible sequel to Ashes cricket that would be released next year. It would be having the following:

1. Better stadium Creator
2. Better Logo Creator
3. Licensed squads of England and Australia. etc...

He said it will be a big update to cricket games after DBC14.

Here: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/paul-james/dev-diary/e/57553300

Play the audio from 51 minutes.

Thanks. :)
This is good... I did buy BBB recently, when it was still okayish priced, and have not really bothered to play much of it. So, hoping for a good cricket simulator next year...
Also @JohnnyDGaming89 I have not heard anyone, except that one single tweet, talk about any new game engine. I know you don’t want to sound cynical, but you do (though it is understandable)!

Off-Topic: Ross did sound a bit disappointed with the new Big Bash Mobile, going to Nextwave!

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
This is good... I did buy BBB recently, when it was still okayish priced, and have not really bothered to play much of it. So, hoping for a good cricket simulator next year...
Also @JohnnyDGaming89 I have not heard anyone, except that one single tweet, talk about any new game engine. I know you don’t want to sound cynical, but you do (though it is understandable)!

Off-Topic: Ross did sound a bit disappointed with the new Big Bash Mobile, going to Nextwave!

If there is no new engine, I'll just say good luck to them getting the most out of what they have, I'd happily change my tune if they can really turn things around, only time will tell.

Reactions: DAP

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
A few different types of celebration after reaching milestones would be nice. But not the worm or the fortnite dance for sure.
I felt that for Ashes Cricket there should've been more variety, particularly in the Ashes mode. Commentary stayed the same and barely any lines were changed for the Ashes mode. There wasn't much difference for commentary in Ashes mode vs other modes like Casual, Tour, Career etc. For the Ashes mode, they should have commentary so they can focus on a particular player, talking about his favorite shots and giving insight into their stats or something. Ashes mode in Ashes cricket lacked in any specialty in commentary other than the commentators saying that "Australia will be looking to get that urn" or "It's the first Test at Brisbane".

I agree that there need to be different celebrations for milestones. Maybe they could get Warner to do his celebration when he gets a century and a few others too. Another problem in Ashes cricket is that there really isn't any hype when a player is approaching a century and even sometimes nothing from the commentary when the century is reached. Following that, it's usually the same celebration when getting the hundred. Similarly, there should be different bowler celebrations, not in the form of fortnite dances mind you, but emotion wise. Bowlers sometimes are unmoved at a wicket and some are pumped.

"A fully immersive game" should have variety in all aspects which Big Ant missed out on too. Ashes Cricket had so much potential but it didn't seem complete. The next Ashes game needs to improve upon these aspects.

D

Deleted member 185125

I felt that for Ashes Cricket there should've been more variety, particularly in the Ashes mode. Commentary stayed the same and barely any lines were changed for the Ashes mode. There wasn't much difference for commentary in Ashes mode vs other modes like Casual, Tour, Career etc. For the Ashes mode, they should have commentary so they can focus on a particular player, talking about his favorite shots and giving insight into their stats or something. Ashes mode in Ashes cricket lacked in any specialty in commentary other than the commentators saying that "Australia will be looking to get that urn" or "It's the first Test at Brisbane".

I agree that there need to be different celebrations for milestones. Maybe they could get Warner to do his celebration when he gets a century and a few others too. Another problem in Ashes cricket is that there really isn't any hype when a player is approaching a century and even sometimes nothing from the commentary when the century is reached. Following that, it's usually the same celebration when getting the hundred. Similarly, there should be different bowler celebrations, not in the form of fortnite dances mind you, but emotion wise. Bowlers sometimes are unmoved at a wicket and some are pumped.

"A fully immersive game" should have variety in all aspects which Big Ant missed out on too. Ashes Cricket had so much potential but it didn't seem complete. The next Ashes game needs to improve upon these aspects.

Big bash boom does have player specific commentary and hell lot of celebrations. So my guess is that it might be incorporated in the next Ashes, atleast is small proportions.
BA did claim that this (Ashes17) will have the best possible support, but to see it left the way it is, is sad. Definitely still has a lot of potential.

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
I would love if they had them celebrations in ashes cricket really would be good

JohnnyDGaming89

County Cricketer
Big bash boom does have player specific commentary and hell lot of celebrations. So my guess is that it might be incorporated in the next Ashes, atleast is small proportions.
BA did claim that this (Ashes17) will have the best possible support, but to see it left the way it is, is sad. Definitely still has a lot of potential.

Unfortunately quite often the player specific commentary ends up being wrong, think there's a programming issue when you hear nearly every player is on debut and things like that.

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
the problem with focusing so much on the academy is that its almost impossible get the commentator to say the correct player's name unless they had a vocal database of every single possible player that could be added .They could start with test players and work downwards but it would also be quite tedious to match them all up.

Everything in the end comes down to budget.A bigger budget means better programmers and therefore a better game.If they had all the licences then the academy would be less important and the game more coherent.
The cricket playing games market is not that big so you end up with an expensive product that doesn't quite make the grade but at least we have a cricket game.
I think all cricket games have struggled to get the AI correct and look natural.You can't have a sweet spot that makes it easy to take wickets and bowl a team out for 10 but nor do you want dropped catches always at a certain point or the other bowlers going for much more that the player you are controlling.
I hope big bash boom wasn't a major investment for them as I don't see them making much from it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread