Ashes Cricket 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Like a temperament meter?
I think temperament would be more of a attribute or skill. It could be seen as an extension of the mentality. A player with a 'Calm' temperament might be more predictable, a player with 'Erratic' temperament might do things that you don't expect. Depending on that temperament could be how great an impact on their ability to take their skills and execute them. An Impatient player should react poorly to his scoring rate being kept down or not being able to play strong shots.

To a certain extent the game feels like it has the skill for batsman working, it's not perfect, but a good batsmen is better than a bad one. I mentioned before the area I think it could be improved is in that mental approach. I always think about other games I've played and how they work and something like X-Com, as a turn-based game, is perhaps a good example.

It has a set of enemies that all have different movements, attacks and defences. So they'll act differently and it's like a game of chess trying to decide when to attack or defend, predict how they are going to react in their next move based on what you've learned from observing how each behave. What you do can also nullify their abilities or strengthen them if you mess up.

I suppose 'behaviour' is a good term to group the set attributes, preferences and in-match approaches that could make the AI batting (and definitely bowling) more varied. If there are a set of behaviours available (via the academy) to allow us to create a varied set of 'enemies'. So, if you're going from a blank slate when creating a player in the academy what behaviours do you need to create a batsman like Alastair Cook or a bowler like James Anderson? Then what level variety is needed across behaviours to allow you to create a Jos Buttler or Sunil Narine.

This isn't an exhaustive list, I'm sure there are other things that could be added to it (by me or others). Moreover, I understand that each level of complexity added creates a greater possibility of issues arising in the game. But at the moment AI batting and bowling feels very one dimensional.

You want to know:
Skill level - things like footwork, timing and shot control
Approach to scoring - level of aggression, are they a big hitter, do they look to rotate the strike or wait for a bad ball? It'd be great if there were a situation that you saw two batsman with a strike-rate of 100 but one is smashing four and sixes while the other is rotating the strike.
Where in the pitch they generally do/don't score runs
What bowling they prefer/dislike to face
Conditions they prefer/dislike
Batting style - orthodox, unorthodox somewhere in between? (you don't want Alastair Cook playing dilscoops in the first over of a test match - not that I've seen that in game)
Do they settle quickly, or take their time
How able are they to adapt disliked bowlers or conditions - the classic 'they can't play in English conditions' comes to mind

With bowling:
Skill levels - control of the ball (seam, spin), ability to impart swing/turn,
What line/lengths do they generally look to bowl
What balls do they generally look to bowl
Conditions
Which batsman they prefer to bowl against
Bowling style - are they a very routine in their approach, like a Glenn McGrath, or maybe a spinner who bowls a lot of a variation
With Anderson - he's skilled with swinging the ball, controlling the seam - ok, so what does he do with that? He's not bowling bouncers he's looking to get the edge behind.

I don't know if any of that makes sense. :lol

Staresblank

Club Captain
I would like to see two confidence meters.

One would always start low (unless in good form for career mode) and the other would depend on the batsmans style and the state of the game.

That way you could have defensive batsman slogging and aggressive batsman playing defensively, depending on the state of the game.

N Jones

Club Captain
Early release would likely mean an unfinished game I feel, particularly based on the past few releases of games from them. Not trying to sound cynical, but it's just the way it's been.
Totally agree with you...how many more times are they going to release games that are clearly not finished. Shouldn't be allowed to happen. Despite the patches for Ashes cricket there's STILL issues with manual fielding

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
CEE2FB60-2CE0-41CB-BCC2-CF0808EDE59C.png Could likeky be capturing some stadiums or some ashes cricket work over there he won’t be photo scanning the players as most of them are probably already done anyways but there in the West Indies anyway

passwordistaco

Panel of Selectors
Surely it's cricket game related. Hope the hype starts soon. So keen for something[DOUBLEPOST=1549171611][/DOUBLEPOST]Surely it's cricket game related. Hope the hype starts soon. So keen for something

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
View attachment 217617 Could likeky be capturing some stadiums or some ashes cricket work over there he won’t be photo scanning the players as most of them are probably already done anyways but there in the West Indies anyway
I love that this is happening for cricket games, hints like these is what makes some of the EA and other companies games really big. It just makes the fans go on their own little journeys even if it’s kookoo land. Just waiting for some really unrealistic predictions by people of what could be in the game.:lol

jabbathehut

County Cricketer
It seems odd that the CEO would be doing this type of stuff.More likely over to negotiate rights with the ECB.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
A player traits in addition to mentality will add wonders, traits can be positive and negative giving each player a unique personality, for eg
Slow starter ( A batsmen with this trait will start his inning slowly)
Vulnerable at start (a bit easier to get him out early in the inning because he starts with 70% of his batting attributes for the first 30 balls he faced )
Concentration loser ( more likely to play rash shots after scoring 30+ runs. Attributes penalty after scoring 30+)
Unpredicible (will not play according to the match situation and often start gun blazing, an Afridi type player, in one match he starts with 130% of his attributes and sometimes only 70%)
Wicket sticker (put heavy price over his wicket a bit like David an anchorman)
Extremely confident ( start his inning with high confidence and can play all sorts of shots according to his skills from the get go)
Mentor (player on non striker end will receive bonus to his batting skill if he's batting with Mentor)
Pressure Cooker (if you can get him quiet for couple of overs he's more likely to crumble under pressure and lose his wicket)
Match awareness (a player with that trait will try to match the current run rate while chasing and he's more likely to achieve that because of his trait)
Finisher (A player with that trait will receive attributes boost in the last 10 overs of an ODIs or 4 overs in T20)
Semi dexterous (batsmen will struggle against left or right arm bowlers, and will receive attributes penalty facing such bowlers, its actually 2 traits one for right arm Bowlers and one for left armers)
Minor basher (Opposing team lesser skilled bowlers will get terrified by him and will receive attributes penalties when he is batting)
Get over here ( player with that trait will likely to punish the highest rated bowler in the match and dent his confidence)

These traits can be of bronze silver and gold with an amplyfing effect

And now Bowlers trait

New ball beast (stats boost when the bowl is new)
Partnership breaker (stats boost when there is a 50+ partnership )
Death bowler (stats boost in the end of innings)
Semi dexterous (stats boost against rhb or lhb)
Rythm bowler (if he is bowling well hes likely to receive stats boost to his attributes and if he gets hit constantly he will receive a penalty to its attributes )
Nervous bowler ( will receive attributes penalty if opposing batsmen start attacking him)
Extremely confident (starts with high confidence)
Unfazed (he's not affected by opposing team batsmen with traits which reduces bowlers attributes like minor basher and get over here trait)
Get the best ( more likely to get opposing team best batsmen out, an attributes boost against opposing team highest rated batsmen)
Slow starter ( will start with 80% of his bowling attributes and he will get it back after bowling atleast 5 overs, such type is not very useful in t20s)

Last edited:

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
For generated players in career mode they can have up to 2 traits randomly chosen and if they have a positive effect gold trait, they must have one silver negative trait as well but for the most players they either have positive or negative trait mostly bronze or sliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread