Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
you would think so, but you're dealing with people who's response to the bradman license was "you should get tendulkar for next time" so i don't think the mere fact of the ashes game being about teams he never played for, in a competition he never played in, and it being a video game he doesn't feature in, will convince them.

STOP. MAKING. SENSE.

I beg you.

Crossy333

County Cricketer
STOP. MAKING. SENSE.

I beg you.

Dare I say it..

*checks pockets* empty...

Damn. I can't afford to pay the trademark license. Have to go the 'unlicensed' version.

This person understands the situation entirely

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Dare I say it..

*checks pockets* empty...

Damn. I can't afford to pay the trademark license. Have to go the 'unlicensed' version.

This person understands the situation entirely

you could go in and change it to something nearer the official version in cricket academy. oh, not in this game.

Day7

School Cricketer
Nope, none at all.

Oh well. You do realize I was speaking in the context of Indian market?

Besides, games still exist the week after launch - even if Tendulkar retiring drove sales of a cricket game (that he's not in and that focuses on a tournament he never played) - why waste that by launching in the same week if you can get the benefit of both the release itself and a wave of Tendulkar?

Your point that "Tendulkar is not part of Ashes hence no effect" may not be correct due to the following:
1) People are waiting for a decent cricket game for the last 3-4 years.
2) I don't think anybody really cares what it is called,,,Ashes, Bradman, Lara, EA, revolution, etc...as long as it is cricket with ok graphics and gameplay.
3) Its a common knowledge that player names for unlicensed team (such as India) is incorrect. I mean, when was the last time in a cricket game we had default correct names for all players? EA's cricket 99 I think...or maybe in 2002 (don't rem exactly, I played only the demos). Its face and roster patches from Pc.net which has been the savior all these years.
4) Coming to Tendulkar,, from what I know of Indians, and their passion for cricket, his retirement is likely to fuel more intensity on his fans in the cricket game starved time we live in. I don't think it matters what...I mean, read point no. 2 above.

Fact is, you cannot deny that India has a unique obsession with cricket/tendulkar, and it could be tapped by cricket games developers to boost sales.

Beyond that - the release timing of a game based on the Ashes will not depend at all on anything that happens in India. It simply is not on the radar of anyone who has anything to do with anything.

505 Games don't have the luxury of picking sentimental release dates. They will just be hoping they can get it out for the first Test.

This was just an opinion presented by one Ronak. However improbable it may be to implement, he do have a right to present it without getting shot down. I do tend to agree with his point on sales effect after Tendulkar's retirement may have; I may be wrong.

Though I hope I am not, I am studying economics.
But...from an Indian University...Oh well.

----------

Tendulkar may have been a big thing in 90's and early years of 21st century, but that days are long gone. Nobody cares about him anymore and neither has he contributed anything to the game in recent years.

Neither had bradman..
just saying..

----------

Comprehensively and completely answered I would say. Thanks lads.

Just the thing to say after would-have-been-tricky class-test..

Deja vu.

----------

I dont think I would go out and buy a cricket game anyways because Sachin (or any other player) retired:facepalm! Infact, I so wanted to go out and buy (and play) a new cricket game when the Ashes was on, or even when the Champions Trophy was on!!!

See thats my point: I personally don't care that much about Ashes (I normally autoplay 3 inning in test matches if I feel like playing it)..yet I will definitely buy this game, and I am sure many, because it is cricket !! Tendulkar signifies cricket for many, and maybe (actually, for sure) he is unlicensed in this game, but he is there! Then there is Pc.net and wonderful patches..Who is to say that won't ignite passions and drive sales and such? Not me.

----------

you would think so, but you're dealing with people who's response to the bradman license was "you should get tendulkar for next time" ...

Never said anything like that.
Generalizing; Strike One.

----------

Another reason people forgot to mention about releasing a game aimed at India is that they'll just pirate the sh!t out of it. ESPECIALLY if it's got tendilker on the cover

Yeah yeah, Indians Pirate. If 'tendilker' on cover then Indians will do it 2x times. Anything worthwhile to add apart from established facts?
Oh and that Indians want to make you go on killing spree

----------

Pirating it or not, the fact remains that even if everyone bought a legitimate copy of the game, India is just not as big a market (when it comes to gaming) as UK or AUS! I have had a personal chat with many retailers and a couple of distributors whom I know, and all of them agreed that India is nowhere (really....nowhere) near those two countries when it comes to gaming, piracy or no piracy!

That seems to be sadly true...but I would be interested to know those retailers and distributors you had chat with were talking about games in general or cricket games?
I do hope that Ashes and Bradman cricket comes with strong anti piracy addons...such as those which should greatly limit/stop piracy here.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Tendiggidyulkizzley and however amazing you think he is has nothing to do with this game. Not sure how many different ways that can be typed, but plenty have tried (you've quoted them all) and seemingly that's not good enough.

A game titled "Ashes Cricket 2013" which will release during the Ashes series in Australia featuring players from England and Australia is mostly likely targeted towards the Australian and UK markets. Therefore, however amazing and awesome you think Tendulkar is, to the rest of the world, it's another day and to Australian and UK folk who are watching the Ashes on their TV's - it doesn't matter one bit.

Addendum: There's also the many many many examples that have been provided by ACTUAL cricket game developers that show India just isn't an important market for games, let alone a cricket one. You're just not that a big a deal, I know it's hard... but she's really not that into you. I'm sorry. It's her, not you.

Day7

School Cricketer
Tendiggidyulkizzley and however amazing you think he is has nothing to do with this game. Not sure how many different ways that can be typed, but plenty have tried (you've quoted them all) and seemingly that's not good enough.

A game titled "Ashes Cricket 2013" which will release during the Ashes series in Australia featuring players from England and Australia is mostly likely targeted towards the Australian and UK markets. Therefore, however amazing and awesome you think Tendulkar is, to the rest of the world, it's another day and to Australian and UK folk who are watching the Ashes on their TV's - it doesn't matter one bit.

Addendum: There's also the many many many examples that have been provided by ACTUAL cricket game developers that show India just isn't an important market for games, let alone a cricket one. You're just not that a big a deal, I know it's hard... but she's really not that into you. I'm sorry. It's her, not you.

I fully appreciate the fact I may be wrong. All I did was try and present my opinion, apparently that messed your system. Don't worry, its been known to happen. To some people.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
You are wrong.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
"Proofs" were given about a page ago, with supplementary material added on this page. Here's the best one:

Beyond that - the release timing of a game based on the Ashes will not depend at all on anything that happens in India. It simply is not on the radar of anyone who has anything to do with anything.

505 Games don't have the luxury of picking sentimental release dates. They will just be hoping they can get it out for the first Test.

Case closed.

She's just not that into you... It's hard to take, but you'll find someone better. Promise.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Oh well. You do realize I was speaking in the context of Indian market?
Yes, however I take the implication from the original post that is being replied to that somehow the general release of the game should be timed with Tendulkar's retirement.

Fact is, you cannot deny that India has a unique obsession with cricket/tendulkar, and it could be tapped by cricket games developers to boost sales.
Yes I can. There is no meaningful market for cricket games at a sustainable price in India for the foreseeable future.

A tournament like the Ashes can push a few people who aren't particularly invested in cricket to purchase a game in Australia/England. Same reason it coming around to the football season is a good reason to pick up the new FIFA/PES game - it's generally relevant.

On the other hand, I can't imagine there's a large group of people in India who aren't particularly fussed about cricket that would suddenly jump to attention on hearing about Tendulkar retiring and think they need to get a cricket fix.

Those who do would direct it into relevant things - perhaps an India team shirt?

Otherwise, you don't particularly need to spark up interest in cricket in India - you need to find a way to turn that into purchasing a game. A game with the Ashes on the cover is not that.

In Australia/England, they are fighting to get attention against other games - using interest in the Ashes to do that against a bunch of different genres as we ramp up to the biggest time of the year for games sales.

Timing of the release takes place in that context. Timing of the release in other markets is basically that time plus however long it takes to organise distribution.

Though I hope I am not, I am studying economics.
Ironically part of the problem. Gaming starts developing as a market once there is a strong middle class - the absolute extreme and admirable work ethic makes taking time out from study to play games seem insane.

Day7

School Cricketer
"Proofs" were given about a page ago, with supplementary material added on this page. Here's the best one:

Case closed.

She's just not that into you... It's hard to take, but you'll find someone better. Promise.

You do realize I quoted and replied to this statement?
And you are the one supposed to "get it"? :os:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Preamble, to help you:

1. This thread is the bludgeoned man.
  2. You are the man swinging the cat.

Listen, Day7, can I call you James? Look, Jim... I like you... you seem nice if a little naive, in life, it's okay to be wrong. If you bludgeon someone to death swinging a cat repeatedly at them, people generally go "well, that was odd" and you can say "oh but, in my opinion he was murdering chickens with his lazer eyes" and feel, deep down inside, that he really was murdering chickens with his lazer eyes... but if 99% of everyone on the planet didn't see his lazer eyes or chickens being murdered, then you bludgeoned a man to death for no reason... other than "your opinion".

Moral of the story; It's okay to be wrong... and don't swing cats.

whiteninness

Panel of Selectors
If they had featured IPL (at least a fake version) and pushed other non-Ashes things then perhaps they'd factor in some Indian things for the release date, at least in India, but it's quite clear that this is a quick cash-grab aiming to catch the attention of Aussie and English cricket fans during the Ashes. After all, they are the "stars of the show"

79cricket

Panel of Selectors
Preamble, to help you:

1. This thread is the bludgeoned man.
  2. You are the man swinging the cat.

Listen, Day7, can I call you James? Look, Jim... I like you... you seem nice if a little naive, in life, it's okay to be wrong. If you bludgeon someone to death swinging a cat repeatedly at them, people generally go "well, that was odd" and you can say "oh but, in my opinion he was murdering chickens with his lazer eyes" and feel, deep down inside, that he really was murdering chickens with his lazer eyes... but if 99% of everyone on the planet didn't see his lazer eyes or chickens being murdered, then you bludgeoned a man to death for no reason... other than "your opinion".

Moral of the story; It's okay to be wrong... and don't swing cats.

Super Cat with lazer eyes, now I have heard everything on here Biggs.PS Does the cat eat cake Biggs.:yes

LittleChamp

Club Cricketer
Since u were saying September in every post of urs, i thought you would give us a surprise on the 1st but you didn't, as usual :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread