Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Parcelmoose

Associate Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
The thing that is most frustrating about the game is that it has potential to be a great sporting game. If it was a complete dud no one would still be here hopeful of improvements. However, despite the fact that the game will be 'supported' it currently has not been.

At the moment I struggle to play for more than 45 mins at a time as I just lose all immersion as the batsman gives another catch to mid off/mid on, or my sweep shot is executed as a reverse-sweep to cover. My feeling is that for future games (?) the batting and bowling mechanics have to be redesigned rather than relying on builds from previous games.

Bowling is just so predictable. The closeness of the slips means that you don't need 1st, 3rd slips etc and they can cover more area in doing this. Square-leg for that strange pull off a length ball. Short mid wicket for the same shot and also the leg-side flick. Short fine-leg for the fairly rare hook shot. Just keep bowling straight and they'll sky it for you.

In terms of bowling: you should choose a length and then the timing meter judge how well you achieve this length. Currently you can bowl top of off but the poor timing means that the AI are more likely to hit it to the boundary, even though the ball looks good. I propose that a poorly timed length delivery could either become a half-volley or too short.

For batting the coloured length indicator is just broken in this game. A red short ball is sometimes too full to play off the back foot, and a green length ball can sometimes be pulled. Facing spinners (with the wk in view) is just ridiculous as you know how much it will spin and in which direction.

And playing the short ball off spinners has never been fully addressed in any of the games.

Last edited:

Snowy

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
Australia
there's an element of truth in this, but why did a staff member pick out a post that was little different to lots of other posts and question him about his opinion on the beta feedback, as if that is the specific topic of this thread and nothing else has been allowed ever?

notwithstanding he is obviously deano in disguise?

Being a staff member has nothing to do with my post. It was a failed attempt at engaging something with a clearly negative attitude towards the game, in the hopes of drawing out something meaningful.

It failed, I moved on. We’ve seen posters like him in the past, they’re never interested in engaging in real conversations about the game (or about anything else it seems based on since deleted posts elsewhere). I honestly should have known better.

And definitely not Dean, he can actually string more than three words together without a typo

Mondy

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Talking about staff members, I hear Ross pays them to come on here and update us to what’s going on.

Thank God for the beta-guys (I really appreciate you Dutch and Wealey). The issue though is they (a) can’t tell us when a patch will be released and (b) can’t tell us whether this patch will be the first of many as BA further fine tune the game.

And here’s the thing, BA are head over heels desperate to keep the line of communication open with the AO Tennis fans (just check out Twitter), who are also a pack of whingers (just like us) but who are clearly a bigger market with more upside.

I could be talking out of my anal orifice. Probably am. What would I know. I hear though that Ross pays for people to get on these forums to answer these sorts of questions and put idiots like me in my place.

Jerm

International Coach
SA.....
Profile Flag
South Africa
Talking about staff members, I hear Ross pays them to come on here and update us to what’s going on.

Thank God for the beta-guys (I really appreciate you Dutch and Wealey). The issue though is they (a) can’t tell us when a patch will be released and (b) can’t tell us whether this patch will be the first of many as BA further fine tune the game.

And here’s the thing, BA are head over heels desperate to keep the line of communication open with the AO Tennis fans (just check out Twitter), who are also a pack of whingers (just like us) but who are clearly a bigger market with more upside.

I could be talking out of my anal orifice. Probably am. What would I know. I hear though that Ross pays for people to get on these forums to answer these sorts of questions and put idiots like me in my place.
Ross pays them to READ the posts, he said nothing about responding to them....

AnkitC

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Do Right arm bowlers still come around the wicket often against Right Hand Batsmen? And Vice Versa?

D

Dutch

Okay end of day two......England lost a couple of wickets, their openers who both flashed at a bit of width after being squeezed. Vince has batted well and Root has come in and they have found batting relatively easy going although there are no easy pickings. The ball is playing pretty straight. Lyon came on for a few overs at the end which were tricky and I can imagine him getting more turn as the game goes on. England miles behind but not out of it yet:

Typical over on this pitch:

20180314160937_1.jpg

20180314161117_1.jpg

20180314161122_1.jpg

Its been tough cricket, lots of singles and twos and threes, very few boundaries....

20180314161157_1.jpg

D

Dutch

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.......to be fair it was tricky against Lyon but three of the wickets at least were down to really really poor shot choices.....but hey that's cricket: Root and Vince were going well and edging towards a good partnership when Root played straight into gully's midriff off a ball he had been leaving alone all morning and Vince....well yeah....Vince...

Positives: AI reviewed two decisions: got one of them, lost the other. Pitch has become more tricky as the session wore on. AI have enforced the follow on...and why not.....
Negatives: me in charge of the controller!!!

20180314172004_1.jpg

20180314170326_1.jpg

20180314170440_1.jpg

A little more movement....

20180314171042_1.jpg

Thieves

Club Captain
Hey Dutch. Thanks for the great work.

I have a special request from you, if you have some time. I just want to see how the new build works with batting using classic controls , aerial marker off , batting inverted and with batting camera on fixed close.

Would love to see this angle as I play with these settings. Apparently the timing has changed and improved... if you would be so kind to send me an over of this batting.

I understand if you're too busy. Thanks anyways.

D

Dutch

Hey Dutch. Thanks for the great work.

I have a special request from you, if you have some time. I just want to see how the new build works with batting using classic controls , aerial marker off , batting inverted and with batting camera on fixed close.

Would love to see this angle as I play with these settings. Apparently the timing has changed and improved... if you would be so kind to send me an over of this batting.

I understand if you're too busy. Thanks anyways.
See what i can do......

How the Cookie Crumbles! Dreadful start to the series for Cook so far.....again excuse the bad graphics.......

Users who are viewing this thread