Ashes Cricket General Discussion

rasdan

Club Captain
Question: what's your field going to be in the first over a test match?

hi bro.i understand too well it can be frustrating at times but i finaly feel ive come to understand how to set fields and how to bowl a team out failrly cheaply.Iplay on veteran and yes there are always going to be times when a cpu batsman gets settled and gets a big score.However,bowling the right line and using different deliveries at the right time bring dividends.For example im currently playing ashes test v australia and i bowled them out in my last test for less than 250 in both innings.In one instance i had broad bowling to handscombe and he played a missed at a terrific delivery outside off stump.I then followed up with an effort ball which right his middle stump out of the ground,probably the most satisfying moment of playing the game all these months.The effort ball is very effective but shouldnt be used all the time,a couple of times an over at most.I will post my field settings tonight as the kids have hijacked the xbox im sure many of you feel my pain haha.The one i still struggle with is bowling spin and trying to set a field in which im not smashed all over the place.Im getting better in that department and am finding that being conservative in regards to field settings for spinners is the way to go.....possibly.

D

Dutch

Question: what's your field going to be in the first over a test match?
I usually have three slips and a gully...slips 2, 4 and maybe 6 and a gully or point....having slips close together is a waste of resources...……..square leg, mid off, mid on/midwicket..…..cover and a thirdish man maybe......if I continue to get wickets I usually stick to this basic set up and otherwise I start taking one of the slips out nudging the fielders about a little, squeezing gaps or having a couple out to deep to stem the flow of runs. I think the game generally does test matches quite well...…..

Gamer Pradosh

Survival Games Champion
India
CSK
Survival Games Champion
Profile Flag
India
I usually have three slips and a gully...slips 2, 4 and maybe 6 and a gully or point....having slips close together is a waste of resources...……..square leg, mid off, mid on/midwicket..…..cover and a thirdish man maybe......if I continue to get wickets I usually stick to this basic set up and otherwise I start taking one of the slips out nudging the fielders about a little, squeezing gaps or having a couple out to deep to stem the flow of runs. I think the game generally does test matches quite well...…..
Yeah totally, they actually space out well in those positions and feel much better in those positions..Something we could work on with the upcoming game by assigning a range they can attempt a catch so they actually have a region they cover, so they would have a "role" there.

Also apart from that its usually the same mentioned field for me too.. Maybe a short cover as to cut those singles and making them drive more..

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Thanks guys. I've been trying to work out an effective system for getting fielders in realistic positions, or at least a skilling method that can be used to get people in roughly the right place. Wanted to see what sort of fields others went for.

@rasdan I bowled about 30 overs of spin with Ravi Jadeja and had some decent success. I was bowling into the rough, which leads by accident or design leave the AI looking foolish. I don't think I got a wicket from it though and it took lbw out the game (SLA over the wicket to right handers) so I gave up on that. I was able to have three or four men around the bat, two deep (point, square leg) and manage to plug the gaps. I think the best way to go with spin is to pack the side the ball is turning to. I use Standard controls for spin so I will vary length and the Bounce/Flight/Standard/Effort for variation. Top Spin, Arm Ball and Doosras rarely feel as though they are helpful, especially if you've been keeping it tight, because the AI will just get runs off it. There's never been a sense for me that variation in spin delivery is a useful tactic against the AI.

@Dutch @Gamer Pradosh Yep, almost from day one I've spaced my slips with a gap of at least one. Have my first slip at 2nd or 3rd in game cause the keeper will leap. My gully will often be the 9th slip in game. I often find the Extra Mid Wicket is a good compromise - when I have just two on the leg side. In combo with a Deep Mid Off and Deep Square Leg, even if the line I bowl strays a little towards middle and leg I'm only likely to concede 1 or 2 runs.

Test match bowling is easily my favourite part of the game, though it could still be tweaked and improved. I'd never really enjoyed bowling in games until the Big Ant ones.

Reactions: Maz

Langeveldt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I've been simming AI vs AI cricket, and in ODI's the team batting second won 5 out of 6 games. (same teams, same conditions)

T20's it was 3 out of 6 (great).

I can't really be bothered to bowl as both sides to see if this is still the case, that the AI chasing is ridiculously good.

Would creating a custom format with 50 over rules do anything to stop this?

Skankhunt_42

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've been simming AI vs AI cricket, and in ODI's the team batting second won 5 out of 6 games. (same teams, same conditions)

I can't really be bothered to bowl as both sides to see if this is still the case, that the AI chasing is ridiculously good.

Actually I've similar concern. In career mode, AI is chasing ridiculously well. Almost 10 to 15 RPO. How to prevent that? Also, can we update the AusW and EngW teams? It seems they are very high on skills. Thanks

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin

I tried a custom 50 over format. AI still seemed to cruise along when chasing. Only one game, so not a good sample size.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
The simming is just one of the flaws this time around, unfortunately. Doing everything yourself gets you a much better game of cricket.

I'm hoping it's one of the key issues fixed for the next one.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Got a tantalising test match going. Bowling 1st and 2nd innings, probably gonna bat 3rd and 4th. Quite a lifeless deck, had 47 overs from Jadeja while Zimbabwe ground out a good total. If I can remove Kohli it could be game on for a major upset. Some cracking wickets though.

Attachments

• 20181210155751_1.jpg
    20181210155751_1.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20181210155800_1.jpg
    20181210155800_1.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20181210155806_1.jpg
    20181210155806_1.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 24

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Some results from a simming a three team one day tournament. :lol

For context, I'd just played a T20 SA v HK. Bowled and batted as SA (bit unfair).

HK all out for 86 and I got the score inside 10 overs.

Attachments

• 20181211055945_1.jpg
    20181211055945_1.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20181211055955_1.jpg
    20181211055955_1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20181211060001_1.jpg
    20181211060001_1.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20181211060018_1.jpg
    20181211060018_1.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 18

Brian The Tea Towel

School Cricketer
Anyone else's casual games failing to save? Last two games left a test match saved all correctly as I closed the game, load it up again and the match is nowhere to be found.

disco123

Associate Captain
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
@

For Career Sims, I've found simulating the match by ball, gives more realistic runrates. You need to press Square button continuously, also while batting I don't press the Square/Skip button and actually watch the match from non-strikers end. Again more realistic runrates

How do you simulate by ball , this is for bowling, if you press square it takes you through until you career player is on ? I’d love for more realistic run rates , batting I agree about not pressing square. :)

custie73

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Check out @BigAntStudios’s Tweet:

Whoopee-do!! What a piss take.....what will the prizes be BA? some Australian BUGS!!

Here's an idea BA studio...why don't you give us all a Christmas sur-prize, with a new patch for ashes cricket to fix the numerous game breaking bugs and glitches....you know, the one you published and promised to support more than any other game that you have made!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread