Asif and Akhtar Positive for doping!

langerrox

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Champions Trophy 2006

Asif and Akhtar to be sent back

Osman Samiuddin

October 16, 2006

Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif have both been recalled to Pakistan and will miss the Champions Trophy after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs following an internal Pakistan Cricket Board drugs test. The news comes on the back of an autumn of turbulence for Pakistan cricket, taking in the Oval fiasco, the captaincy saga and the replacement of the head of the board and severely dents Pakistan's chances in the tournament, due to begin tomorrow with a match against Sri Lanka.

More to follow

Osman Samiuddin is Pakistan editor of Cricinfo

? Cricinfo

woah, never saw that coming!

Gyaan_Guru

School Cricketer
Oval test fiasco.....match fixing rearing its ugly head........now this.......phew!!!

Kal-El

Club Cricketer
They're from the sub continent, watch them get away with a light punishment.

There's a rumor Rana has tested positive too, geez! :eek:

irottev

School Cricketer
rickyp said:
hmm will be interesting, keeping in mind warne went for a year.

Definatly will be interesting.

I am appauled myself and have lost my respect for Akhtar and Asif.

Was Warne caught by the ICC? Their must be tougher penalties for that.

evertonfan

Chairman of Selectors
I can't say i'm surprised that Asif would take drugs. He just seems like a snotty over-arrogant young man to me and I hope he and Akhtar are punished to the full extent of the law. No sport should allow any form of drugs at all and cricket is no exception to this.

Also, Warney said that his drugs were realated to 'Diet Pills' and was still banned for a year so no matter what excuse the players of the PCB throw down, they should still be punished.

zub2005

International Coach
you are aware it was performance enhancing drugs unlucky pakistan. poor younis khan

rickyp

International Coach
lol, rumour has it that rana was also nabbed, as well as it being the first ever pakistani in house drug test. Dont quote me on that though

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Before you guys make any assumptions and false accusations: keep in mind all these two (and maybe three) bowlers were injured and recovering from that. Maybe there were giving that drug onnoticed by them by some doctor of the medical department of PCB. It's very coincidental that these bowlers were injured and now they have been found a drug within their body. But we have to wait to found out about this more.

rickyp

International Coach
its also very coincidental that they have their first ever drug test before the actual one, much much much smaller consequences from these drug tests than those of the ICC, that is just my speculation, a little food for thought if you will, im not saying its true, just an interesting coincidence

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
If the inside sources of PCB knew they had given drugs to these players they would have conducted this 'test' some time before the Champions Trophy, otherwhile the new replacement bowlers wouldn't have any match practice. And they surely wouldn't conduct it one day before their match would start, if they knew it.

But like I said, we have to wait to hear more news about this.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
ZexyZahid said:
keep in mind all these two (and maybe three) bowlers were injured and recovering from that. Maybe there were giving that drug onnoticed by them by some doctor of the medical department of PCB.
That isn't a valid defence. The rules on drug testing are quite clear that the player is always responsible for what goes into their body. If a physio or doctor gives them something, it is the players responsibility to find out exactly what it is.

langerrox

International Coach
evertonfan said:
I can't say i'm surprised that Asif would take drugs. He just seems like a snotty over-arrogant young man to me and I hope he and Akhtar are punished to the full extent of the law. No sport should allow any form of drugs at all and cricket is no exception to this.

Also, Warney said that his drugs were realated to 'Diet Pills' and was still banned for a year so no matter what excuse the players of the PCB throw down, they should still be punished.
Asif arrogant? seems to be the complete opposite to me, hardly celebrates and is always happy :eeek

Eddie

International Cricketer
Bob wolmer said he was "glad" it happened now and not in the tournament..cos then it would have been a 2 year ban..

Rana also seems to have something "wrong" with his sample..

Interesting, since they were all rushing back from injuries early in the year..obviously felt they needed a helping hand..

sad if the b-test is also positive

Users who are viewing this thread