Australia A tour of Zimbabwe

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Australia A will play a one-day tri-series involving Zimbabwe and South Africa, before finishing with two four-day matches against the host. Match details are yet to be confirmed at this stage, but the tour will run from late June to late July.

George Bailey - TAS; 28
Michael Beer - WA; 26
Luke Butterworth - TAS; 27
Trent Copeland - NSW; 25
Nathan Coulter-Nile - WA; 23
Patrick Cummins - NSW; 17
James Faulkner - TAS; 20
Callum Ferguson - SA; 26
Aaron Finch - VIC; 24
Peter George - SA; 24
Jon Holland - VIC; 23
Phillip Hughes - NSW; 22
Usman Khawaja - NSW; 24
Nathan Lyon - SA; 23
Nicolas Maddinson - NSW; 19
Mitchell Marsh - WA; 19
Shaun Marsh - WA; 27
Stephen O'Keefe - NSW; 26
Tim Paine - TAS; 26
James Pattinson - VIC; 20
Steven Smith - NSW; 21
Mitchell Starc - NSW; 21
Matthew Wade - VIC; 23
David Warner - NSW; 24

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Looks good.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
For the 4 day game:
Nic Maddinson
Phillip Hughes
Usman Khawaja
Callum Ferguson
Shaun Marsh
Steven Smith
Tim Paine
Luke Butterworth
Stephen O'Keefe
Trent Copeland
Nathan Coulter-Nile

James Pattinson
James Faulkner
Nathan Lyon
George Bailey
Matthew Wade

O'Keefe and Copeland would be the definite in the bowling, other two spots are up for grabs. Batting is a tricky one, guessing they will go with something like the above.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Just noticed Christian missed out, can't believe he was picked for the 50 over game as he was one of the standout batsmen in the Ryobi Cup.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Australia A four-day squad Tim Paine (capt, wk), David Warner, Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Callum Ferguson, Nic Maddinson, Mitch Marsh, Luke Butterworth, James Faulkner, Jason Krejza, Trent Copeland, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitch Starc, Michael Beer.

One-day squad Tim Paine (capt, wk), David Warner, Aaron Finch, Callum Ferguson, Chris Lynn, Nic Maddison, Mitch Marsh, Luke Butterworth, Stephen O'Keefe, James Faulkner, Ben Hilfenhaus, Trent Copeland, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Starc.

Australia news: Beer, Krejza duel for Sri Lanka berth | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Don't get how O'Keefe can make the OD side with his record yet can't crack the 4 day one, likewise Lynn. Mitch Marsh lucky to make either squad. So much wrong with the OD bowling lineup even ignoring O'Keefe being there, you then have Hilfy and Copeland who suck in that format.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Code:
[b]first class squad[/b]
Tim Paine (c) 		2359 Runs @ 31.03				
Callum Ferguson (vc)	3242 Runs @ 35.62				
Michael Beer					27 Wkts @ 48.03
Luke Butterworth	1680 Runs @ 28.47;	127 Wkts @ 24.45
Trent Copeland					80 Wkts @ 21.57
James Faulkner		448 Runs @ 29.86;	47 Wkts @ 21.65
Ben Hilfenhaus					249 Wkts @ 29.93
Usman Khawaja		2289 Runs @ 45.78				
Jason Krejza		1106 Runs @ 20.86;	96 Wkts @ 47.85
Phillip Hughes		4775 Runs @ 50.79				
Nic Maddinson		437 Runs @ 39.72				
Mitch Marsh		405 Runs @ 21.31;	3 Wkts @ 91.33
Mitch Starc					27 Wkts @ 34.44
David Warner		406 Runs @ 36.9				

[b]one day squad[/b]
Tim Paine (c) 		2370 Runs @ 34.85				
Callum Ferguson (vc)	2130 Runs @ 34.35				
Luke Butterworth	762 Runs @ 21.77;	55 Wkts @ 36.58
Trent Copeland					5 Wkts @ 69
James Faulkner		147 Runs @ 16.33;	19 Wkts @ 37.42
Ben Hilfenhaus					67 Wkts @ 36.35
Aaron Finch		921 Runs @ 34.11				
Nathan Lyon					1 Wkts @ 64
Chris Lynn		351 Runs @ 31.9				
Nic Maddison		219 Runs @ 36.5				
Mitch Marsh		436 Runs @ 36.33;	7 Wkts @ 31.42
Mitch Starc					14 Wkts @ 22
Stephen O'Keefe		355 Runs @ 27.3;	11 Wkts @ 69.45
David Warner		957 Runs @ 28.14

Cummins misses out with a back strain. The first class side looks to be grooming quite a few players for the Test side, while the one day team is very much a development squad.

On form, I would say the elephant in the room is Mark Cosgrove (he wasn't even short-listed), but one could say that the likes of Warner ought to be doing a fair bit better, whereas a more experienced cricketer like Cosgrove has little upside left. Similarly, Steve O'Keefe and Chris Lynn (who has bolted in from outside the short-list) are in the squad for their weaker formats, but not their stronger.

Some might feel Nathan Lyon has been fortunate to sneak into the one dayers after only three months at the top level, but I suggest he's a little unlucky that Krejza is still factoring in Test considerations. It's even surprising they're not sending Steve Smith over just for some practice. Instead, it's Beer and Krejza pitted against each other in a contest to see who is most irrelevant.

Still, the first class squad has a good top order in there and decent seamers. If there is to be some dependence on all-rounders, then it is reasonably well founded.

The one day squad is a bit harder to gauge. There are a few players there that I would hesitate to make a team out of and it looks as though 19 year old Mitch Marsh might actually be the best player in the side. It could use a Wade or a Christian; someone young, but not that young. Of course the positive spin on that is that this is a team that could learn quite a lot. However, the one day leg should be the tougher portion of the tour, so it does seem a bit odd. They might not learn so much if they can't bat 50 overs.

My other qualm is that Hilfenhaus is not the only senior bowler who could use a chance to get some things in order. If players like Khawaja, Hughes, Beer and Krejza are only in the squads so they can press their case to play Sri Lanka, then where are all the others? McKay probably won't be fit, as he only started jogging last month and this tour is next month. However, what about Harris or Bollinger? They have both played IPL, so even if they're not fully conditioned yet, they're not carrying anything serious. It seems like the policy is that injury prone bowlers are rested and fit bowlers bowl until they're injury prone.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Just a few points on O'Keefe & Krejza.

O'Keefe although his FC stats & the lack of any of the other dud spinners proving not to be test standard recently - means by default you have to take him to SRI as one of your two spinners (although i dont necessarily see him as getting a starting place). I'm not too optimistic about him long term - based on watching him bowl a fair few times in international cricket. I see no difference between him & Doherty - which a a dud non-turning left-arm spinner (although O'Keefe looks to flight it more), which is generally makes spinners struggle throughout test history unless they have something extra special (Hedley Verity, Vettori, Tayfield, Wilfred Rhodes, Underwood, Lock), which O'Keefe certainly doesn't. So when i look @ his FC stats in his short 14 games, im more inclined to wonder what the hell AUS domestic batsmen where doing to give him such good stats. So be dead honest i'm not too fussed with him not making this a-tour en route to SRI series selection.

For Sri Lanka i'd have Krejza & O'Keefe as the two spinners. Before anyone questions Krejza based on his world-cup performance or anything else. I'd remind you i was one of the few that always said he was not ODI quality given his style of bowling standard regardless of what he did in the bigbash this year & I was always against him going to world-cup regardless of the fact that injuries to Hauritz & Doherty made the selectors pick him. So his failures in the cup should have absolutely no bearing on how he may go in tests again - it should just be seen as another selectional blunder by Hilditch & forgotten.

The man that certainly should not be on to tour to SRI regardless of what happens in this A-tour in Beer.

But the search for a test standard spinner will go on - since although i support Krejza he is not the answer.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think what works so well for O'Keefe is his armball. He gets it to come in to the right hander and he'll often bowl a lot of these, before foxing the batsman into playing inside the line of a proper break. That's what he did with Pietersen at Hobart; granted that's one batsman who is well known to implode, not everyone gets it out of him. Later in the T20, O'Keefe again used this ball against Pietersen. KP first monstered away the two shortish armballs that were headed down legside, but then holed out to a loopy yorker.

ZJDuggan

School Cricketer
not happy Bailey wasn't in the final squad and Cosgrove wasn't even thought of. Could just be a biased Tasmanian, but those two would add a whole heap off class and experience.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
not happy Bailey wasn't in the final squad and Cosgrove wasn't even thought of. Could just be a biased Tasmanian, but those two would add a whole heap off class and experience.

There is plenty of Tassies in there though.

Bailey is never going to play for Australia. If they were picking some A spots purely to help the youngsters, James Hopes would have been in with a shout there, as he had a roarer of a year and has loads of international experience. But he wasn't even in the provisional.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
This is going to be a good test for Zimbabwe before they play their first test in June :)

aussie1st

Retired Administrator

From what I heard he's injured. Cosgrove just isn't the right size for the selectors but no doubt he should have been there.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Chris Lynn is out of the one day team, as he will have surgery on a lingering finger injury. His replacement is
Code:
Matthew Wade 		1005 runs @ 41.87

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hard luck to him although not quite a big loss in that format and good to see Wade in the side, if he'll get a game is another story though.

War

Chairman of Selectors
A bit odd that Wade wasn't already in the squad i must say. Selectors rate Paine to highly, Wade should be right on his tale as who should be back-up to Haddin.

Users who are viewing this thread