Australia

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The attack we have played so far has been perfect. No point in changing that balance up, Krejza has been improving with each game and is the only genuine spinner in the side. Smith ain't ready to be the main spinner and I wouldn't be punting our WC winning streak on Dussey spin.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Krejza bowled on rolled mud against SL and still didn't pick up any wickets.

Not exactly. The ball was beginning to turn big for Krejza just around when the rain came. He had a big LBW shout vs Samaraweera near the end, so who knows he could have snuck a wicket in the remaining few overs.

Has aussie1st said, Krejza has been improving every game. No reason to drop him unless he gets smoked in a game.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Not exactly. The ball was beginning to turn big for Krejza just around when the rain came. He had a big LBW shout vs Samaraweera near the end, so who knows he could have snuck a wicket in the remaining few overs.

Has aussie1st said, Krejza has been improving every game. No reason to drop him unless he gets smoked in a game.

Agree. Krejza has been bowling less and less bad balls as the games go on. He also had Sangakkara playing away from his body at balls that were turning. Sanga's a great player, but I don't think you could keep that up all day without finding an edge. One thing it would be great for Krejza to find on those turning pitches is the 'natural variation' ball - one that doesn't spin (whether by design or luck).

The attack we have played so far has been perfect. No point in changing that balance up, Krejza has been improving with each game and is the only genuine spinner in the side. Smith ain't ready to be the main spinner and I wouldn't be punting our WC winning streak on Dussey spin.

Exactly. The attack has been fine. It has good balance and is doing the job for the most part. We MIGHT see that kind of tinkering going on in the next couple of games though, as perhaps Lee/Tait could be given a rest. I don't know if it's a great idea though since there has been plenty of time between matches so far, and it's possible that the guys need MORE bowling and not less.

Plus, in my experience whenever a team plays an extra long batting lineup it is counterproductive, because it seems to make the top order players a bit lazier as they know there is plenty of batting to come.

War

Chairman of Selectors
My god how Australia's test attack has missed Lee as a spearhead since 2008. It no coincidence AUS decline in test cricket, started rapidy when Lee last played tests in 2008.

ATS AUS wouldn't mind Windies beating India 2moro, since with that batting form their WC adventure will be over next thursday..

White has to be dropped for that game for Dussey whether AUS play IND/WI however. But then again, their is no guaranteed that will bring back solidity to the top 7.:facepalm

Tait looked tired today, hardly reached 90 mph except in his 1st over. Hopefully its just a one-off, but this is where the negative impact of picking M Hussey as Bollinger's replacement will come in. Since now if Tait begins to struggle, you would have hoped Nannes could have been called upon immediately - but unfortunately not.

I always had PAK as my second favourites before this WC behind AUS though, so this win again tells me they have what it takes to go all the way. But im watching S Africa now.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
As I said picking Paine was a waste of space. Each player in the squad should have a use other than being a backup. A Nannes or Doherty would have been much better in his spot.

War

Chairman of Selectors
As I said picking Paine was a waste of space. Each player in the squad should have a use other than being a backup. A Nannes or Doherty would have been much better in his spot.

No my friend. As we debated before, AUS tactics for the longest while has been to have the keeper (Haddin) opening - thus if Haddin is out injured, Paine goes right in.

The problem with Nannes is the selectors should have picked Hussey in squad from the start & given him time to recover just like did in with Symonds in 2007. So when Bollinger went out - Nannes could have come right back into the main squad.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
No my friend. As we debated before, AUS tactics for the longest while has been to have the keeper (Haddin) opening - thus if Haddin is out injured, Paine goes right in.

And as I said we could have brought him over like we have Nannes and replaced Haddin if he was injured. Paine still goes right in so again his spot has been wasted plain and simple.

War

Chairman of Selectors
And as I said we could have brought him over like we have Nannes and replaced Haddin if he was injured. Paine still goes right in so again his spot has been wasted plain and simple.

You would want Paine as injury replacement with the hope that Haddin could/would come back (presuming its a minor injury). You wouldn't want him to be in the situation as Nannes is in whereby given he is not in the official 15, if he replaces lets say Lee for a game for eg- Lee wouldn't be able to come back if he recovers from the injury in such a scenario. Which im sure you will agree would be madness.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
And that is where you have a part time keeper that can take over for that match. The majority of the teams have that setup which is the same setup I would have. Yes I know you don't like that but I do so no point in discussing that matter anymore.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Cant have no part-time keeper in a WC - the main keeper needs a competent back-up. Pak situation with Kamran Akmal proves why not.

All the other teams unlike AUS, SA who didnt have a back-up keeper doesn't have the strength in depth like those two sides, thus where better off picking another batsman, bowler or all-rounder in that final 15th squad member. Which is understandable.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
You are contradicting yourself. You are saying Pakistan should have a competent backup but then go on saying they don't have the depth so they should have done what they did. First off they do have a backup keeper in Asad Shafiq and unlike Australia he is being used as a batsmen only. Just like van Wyk has been for SA.

And where is this depth you speak of? We have called up Hussey for a bowler and then also brought over Nannes. There isn't no confidence in the backups at all.

War

Chairman of Selectors
You are contradicting yourself. You are saying Pakistan should have a competent backup but then go on saying they don't have the depth so they should have done what they did. First off they do have a backup keeper in Asad Shafiq and unlike Australia he is being used as a batsmen only. Just like van Wyk has been for SA.

No contradiction. Im saying their given that K Akmal is poor 1st choice keeper, replacing him with a back-up keeper who is not a regular keeper (which AFAIK its his bro Umar, i never heard that Shafiq keeps as well - if at all) is certainly a risk on a WC stage. But given that PAK REAL 1st choice keeper for this WC Z Haider is gone for reasons well known, they dont have the depth in PAK thats why they went back to K Akmal & found space in the 15 for another bowler/batsman.

Van Wyk was brought as back-up to ABV just like how AUS brought Paine as Haddin's back-up. But Van Wyk is a more dynamic batsman than Paine, so SA with him have the option of picking him as pure batsman & he wouldn't look out of place. Something AUS cant do with Paine.

What has happend with SA is that AB has had a litte back-injury of late. Thus they have been forced to play Van Wyk pretty much the entire tournament. Otherwise Van Wyk wouldn't have played. One of SA posters on this site even said this:

http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/2077644-post61.html

stefan said:
He actually has a very good record in list a in SA but that is opening the innings. To be exact he averages 40.61 with 17 100's and 35 50's.

The original idea was to have him only as the reserve and let ab keep but ab's back problems have forced the issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if ab can keep that SA plays all three spinners in some of the knockout games depending on the pitches. Van wyk hasn't done much at number 7 and both botha and peterson have contributed.

And where is this depth you speak of? We have called up Hussey for a bowler and then also brought over Nannes. There isn't no confidence in the backups at all.

Nannes, Hodge, Wade, Christian, Warner, Marsh, Hopes, Finch along with the unfit Harris & Starc. Quality/solid ODI players who would make alot of ODI teams around the world right now.

We both know the confusion caused by the dumb selectors that lead to Hussey being called up for a bowler & Nannes being called up, but not as a main squad player. So dont act as if, AUS dont have depth, come on now..

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
No contradiction. Im saying their given that K Akmal is poor 1st choice keeper, replacing him with a back-up keeper who is not a regular keeper (which AFAIK its his bro Umar, i never heard that Shafiq keeps as well - if at all) is certainly a risk on a WC stage. But given that PAK REAL 1st choice keeper for this WC Z Haider is gone for reasons well known, they dont have the depth in PAK thats why they went back to K Akmal & found space in the 15 for another bowler/batsman.

If Pakistan wanted a backup keeper they could have had one. Akmal youngest brother took over the keeping from him in the Test match. India also have a more than capable backup keeper but they also choose to leave him out. SL, WI, NZ you name it, they all have a capable backup keeper who they have chosen not to take. It comes down to a simple choice, backup keeper or not, those teams choose not to take one which is the view I share.

Van Wyk was brought as back-up to ABV just like how AUS brought Paine as Haddin's back-up. But Van Wyk is a more dynamic batsman than Paine, so SA with him have the option of picking him as pure batsman & he wouldn't look out of place. Something AUS cant do with Paine.

And there in lies the problem, either pick a keeper that can have an impact as a batsmen only or take the punt and go without one.

We both know the confusion caused by the dumb selectors that lead to Hussey being called up for a bowler & Nannes being called up, but not as a main squad player. So dont act as if, AUS dont have depth, come on now..

I wasn't talking about the overall depth, I was talking about the depth in the squad. However what you pointed out is more reason why we should have left the reserve keeper out of the squad. Why leave behind another one of those players for a what if.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Hmm long discussion there guys. So Paine is in the squad over there right now?
I haven't seen a lot of him in state cricket, but his batting impressed me in a few ODI's, though I doubt he's going to be picked purely for that. So if his only role in the squad is to replace an injured Haddin, I don't think he should be a part of the 15 there right now.

Users who are viewing this thread