Australia A tour of Zimbabwe

iridescentt

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
His form/performance away from the domestic setup (atm. List A matches + this Zimbabwe encounter) is a stark contrast to his FC record, thats the point I was trying to make.

Mhm, its probably just me.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I put it down to him not being good at 50 over matches just like Siddle, Hilfy, etc. You wouldn't judge them on how they are performing in List A when looking at the Test side so Copeland should be no different.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't think we'd really know how Copeland's going to go until he gets a Test match. If he's only bowling 120kph: there 3 options: a) he'll never get picked, a bit like Stuart Clark got ditched as his pace subsided, b) he'll get attacked and handled easily by international players, or c) it won't make any difference. He'll get away with it, just like Praveen Kumar or Chaminda Vaas do/did. He'd certainly struggle in ODI matches at that pace, just like Stuart Clark did, but it would be interesting to see if he could get away with it at Test level. Either way, I think he's fighting Hilfenhaus for the steady paceman spot - at least I hope he is, we need someone reliable in that pace trio. If Hilfy outbowls him, then Copeland's not going to get picked anyway.

And it's great to see Hughes score runs and get his confidence up ahead of the SL tour. I didn't like that he was the annointed successor to Katman without proving his form, and now he's done so.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
I don't think we'd really know how Copeland's going to go until he gets a Test match. If he's only bowling 120kph: there 3 options: a) he'll never get picked, a bit like Stuart Clark got ditched as his pace subsided, b) he'll get attacked and handled easily by international players, or c) it won't make any difference. He'll get away with it, just like Praveen Kumar or Chaminda Vaas do/did. He'd certainly struggle in ODI matches at that pace, just like Stuart Clark did, but it would be interesting to see if he could get away with it at Test level. Either way, I think he's fighting Hilfenhaus for the steady paceman spot - at least I hope he is, we need someone reliable in that pace trio. If Hilfy outbowls him, then Copeland's not going to get picked anyway.

I don't think that Copeland was really in the frame to actually play in Sri Lanka anyway. They've got Harris, Siddle and Johnson ahead of Hilfenhaus so at best he'd be in the squad.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Good performance with the bat from the captain, certainly needed that knock. It's a shame Marsh couldn't go on with the bat but he's still a few seasons off.

No breakthrough with the new ball again, Copeland did well coming in at 2nd change and picking up a wicket.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Good performance with the bat from the captain, certainly needed that knock. It's a shame Marsh couldn't go on with the bat but he's still a few seasons off.

No breakthrough with the new ball again, Copeland did well coming in at 2nd change and picking up a wicket.

Yes, I wish Marsh had got some runs, but at least he's in the wickets. :clap

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Finally Zimbabwe attacked our bowlers in particular the spinners. Beer grabbed 3 wickets but he is starting to look a lot like Krejza in the economy department. Much better day for Copeland and Mitch Marsh bowling continues to impress.

Batting wise Warner just smashed them to all part, hasn't been a good match for Khawaja however.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Finally Zimbabwe attacked our bowlers in particular the spinners. Beer grabbed 3 wickets but he is starting to look a lot like Krejza in the economy department. Much better day for Copeland and Mitch Marsh bowling continues to impress.

Batting wise Warner just smashed them to all part, hasn't been a good match for Khawaja however.

And it has been a flogging awful one for Hilfenhaus. He's getting outbowled by everyone, including players with a tenth of his experience. If he can't outthink batsmen of this level, I don't want him in the test team. I don't care what a road it is.

So far he has taken one wicket in 3 innings of bowling and that a tail-ender.:noway

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Yep it is a real worry that our supposed frontline seamer can't even get wickets against Zimbabwe A batsmen. Copeland looks to be a much better version of him. Wouldn't mind seeing an attack of Johnson, Harris and Copeland which offers 2 bowlers with control and Johnson to get those lucky wickets.

It's a shame O'Keefe isn't playing as this would have been the prime opportunity to test him out not only if he can take wickets but also his economy rate. Beer who was meant to be an economical bowler has been expensive while Krejza has been his usual self.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Yep it is a real worry that our supposed frontline seamer can't even get wickets against Zimbabwe A batsmen. Copeland looks to be a much better version of him. Wouldn't mind seeing an attack of Johnson, Harris and Copeland which offers 2 bowlers with control and Johnson to get those lucky wickets.

It's a shame O'Keefe isn't playing as this would have been the prime opportunity to test him out not only if he can take wickets but also his economy rate. Beer who was meant to be an economical bowler has been expensive while Krejza has been his usual self.

I find it so weird that O'Keefe seems to be the only spin bowler in Aus that the selectors won't consider for test cricket.

I shouldn't find it weird, should I? Them despising the Shield means its perfectly logical for them to ignore the only spin bowler in Aus with a decent first class average and try almost anyone else, anyone, regardless of their record.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Logic and the selectors don't go hand in hand. What makes it even stranger is they consider his T20 stats good enough to pick him for that format but his FC one which is just as good isn't enough.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

I think that might be my attack too :thumbs Someone, oh someone who can bowl some maidens would be like golddust IMHO. The other seamers leak runs like sieves, and while they are more likely to bowl that unplayable ball to get a wicket, I'm not willing to sit through endless workings of the pads to get one magic ball every 20 overs. Build up pressure! That's what England did in the Ashes, that's how it's been done for years.

CremerCurrans

ICC Chairman
SA.....
ZIM...
Profile Flag
Zimbabwe
Mawoyo has started off slowly again. Sibanda is going along well though, which is good. Zimbabwe should be more competitive with a near full strength side. :)

A few changes for Australia A. Starc coming in for Hilfenhaus, Beer replaced by Butterworth and Finch replacing Hughes. :)

----------

Sibanda's out...

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Mawoyo has started off slowly again. Sibanda is going along well though, which is good. Zimbabwe should be more competitive with a near full strength side. :)

A few changes for Australia A. Starc coming in for Hilfenhaus, Beer replaced by Butterworth and Finch replacing Hughes. :)

----------

Sibanda's out...

Starc and Marsh with the wickets so far or so the scorecard says. I wonder what it says about the spin bowlers that only Krayfish is in this match?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Interesting seeing Butterworth being a bit expensive, he's usually economical. Starc has done what Siddle and Hilfy couldn't in getting that early breakthrough. And at this rate Marsh will be jumping ahead of Siddle and Hilfy as a frontline bowler!

Users who are viewing this thread