Australia and Pakistan in UAE

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Ponting? It is a blessing. What runs did he score in last year;s edition? A hugely overrated T20 player.

Sure he had a bad 4 game run. Big whoop. Is Herschelle Gibbs a rubbish T20 player, cause he had a similar run in last years IPL? Or how about Kevin Pietersen's stint this year? Everyone has bad runs.

Ponting showed with his excellent 98* against NZ in the first T20I that he can play T20 cricket. If you want to bash an Aussie who can't play T20 cricket try Michael Clarke or Brad Haddin.

KKR don't need Ponting anyway. Brad Hodge has similar skillz and won't be buggered after the various international tours that Ponting's recovering from.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Just when Watson looks promising he gets another injury... Pretty poor batting by the other guys, Symonds really looks to be out of form and the other guys just aren't made for T20. Usual failure for Dussey fast becoming another domestic superstar and nothing else.

Positives in the bowling with Hilfy and Hauritz keeping it tight and Lee the same also I hear he clocked 149km/h for his first ball.

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
If we continue on this form we have no chance of winning 20/20 world cup.

Also Symonds wasn't impressive at all after that 50 he made in the 2nd 0DI.

D0N

Club Cricketer
Just when Watson looks promising he gets another injury... Pretty poor batting by the other guys, Symonds really looks to be out of form and the other guys just aren't made for T20. Usual failure for Dussey fast becoming another domestic superstar and nothing else.

Positives in the bowling with Hilfy and Hauritz keeping it tight and Lee the same also I hear he clocked 149km/h for his first ball.
I think they should try to build partnerships.Partnerships holds key position in wining

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Sure he had a bad 4 game run. Big whoop. Is Herschelle Gibbs a rubbish T20 player, cause he had a similar run in last years IPL? Or how about Kevin Pietersen's stint this year? Everyone has bad runs.

Ponting showed with his excellent 98* against NZ in the first T20I that he can play T20 cricket. If you want to bash an Aussie who can't play T20 cricket try Michael Clarke or Brad Haddin.

KKR don't need Ponting anyway. Brad Hodge has similar skillz and won't be buggered after the various international tours that Ponting's recovering from.
Ponting had a few good games very early in his T20 career, and has been near rubbish ever since. Gibbs has not exactly set the turf on fire this IPL as well. Ponting was ridiculously poor last time, and considering the form/age etc he is only going to get worse.

One innings is hardly critieria to judge a T20 player. haha. The bid price of Ponting reflected his value in the T20 market.

Oh and if you are the stats type Ponting has just 2 fifties in 20 T20 games he has played in his career including that 98. He averages 25 @ not too great SR of 120.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Ponting had a few good games very early in his T20 career, and has been near rubbish ever since. Gibbs has not exactly set the turf on fire this IPL as well. Ponting was ridiculously poor last time, and considering the form/age etc he is only going to get worse.

Yes I said Ponting was poor. But he played only 4 IPL games and there are plenty of guys who have poor 4 game runs. Saying he is rubbish just because of that would lead you to say LOTS of good players are rubbish.
The real problem for Ponting and his T20 record is that when he's played a T20 it is basically an exhibition game at the start or end of a season. He's either not in form yet, or tired from a long series and now you're going to rip him for not performing in a shortened form of the game that doesn't mean anything?

By your laws of form/age, Matthew Hayden should be getting worse at T20 too, but he is smacking it. Why? He's not tired after playing in meaningless international tournaments and he's getting used to the T20 format, learning how hard he needs to go and honing his plans better. If Ponting gets an extended run in the IPL after coming back from an injury or when he's got a few months of downtime where he can relax before, after and during the tournament, I will bet you anything that he does well.

One innings is hardly critieria to judge a T20 player. haha. The bid price of Ponting reflected his value in the T20 market.

Worked for David Warner and Cameron White. Warner makes 89 and smacks a couple of 6s - suddenly he's our Messiah and gets a few ODIs out of it and a free CA contract. Cameron White made 140 over in England and it made him an automatic T20 selection for about the last 3 years.

Ponting never got a high bid because he'll never get to play, he's got a real job - captaining Australia. And he still went for more than Matthew Hayden. And Shane Warne went for a mere $50,000 more than Ponting. Judging a players T20 ability on their IPL auction value is just ridiculous. How about Shane Watson - $125,000. Shaun Marsh - $30,000. Umar Gul - $150,000.Or on the other end of the scale: Mashrafe Mortaza - $600,000 or Manoj Tiwary - $675,000. There are other guys like Jacques Kallis - $900,000. Look at Kallis' T20 record and tell me he's better than Ricky Ponting. Yeah those guys are obviously awesome because they got paid more...

Oh and if you are the stats type Ponting has just 2 fifties in 20 T20 games he has played in his career including that 98. He averages 25 @ not too great SR of 120.

I'm well aware of what Ponting averages. But the man has played a mere 20 games. Were you calling Mike Hussey the best since Bradman after his first 20 innings in Test cricket? No, of course not. Then why should Ponting be labelled a T20 dunce after only 20 games and as I explained earlier, there are many one-off games in that group. No chance for him to get used to T20 at all. I mean take only his 15 T20Is for Australia and suddenly his average is over 30 and strike rate over 130 - and that's against better oppositions than the IPL. Know what the god amongst men - Sachin Tendulkar averages in T20 career? 34 with a S/R of 127. Very similar to Ponting's T20I record. But yeah, Ponting can't play T20s...

And it's not just Tendulkar - when compared with many batsmen, his record isn't awful. Not great, but definitely OK I'd say. Compare him to Misbah's record or MS Dhoni or Jesse Ryder or JP Duminy. Ponting is the ballpark with all those guys. I mentioned earlier, if you want to rag on Aussies about their T20 record, go for Haddin or Clarke - much easier targets.

Last edited:

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Yes I said Ponting was poor. But he played only 4 IPL games and there are plenty of guys who have poor 4 game runs. Saying he is rubbish just because of that would lead you to say LOTS of good players are rubbish.
The real problem for Ponting and his T20 record is that when he's played a T20 it is basically an exhibition game at the start or end of a season. He's either not in form yet, or tired from a long series and now you're going to rip him for not performing in a shortened form of the game that doesn't mean anything?

By your laws of form/age, Matthew Hayden should be getting worse at T20 too, but he is smacking it. Why? He's not tired after playing in meaningless international tournaments and he's getting used to the T20 format, learning how hard he needs to go and honing his plans better. If Ponting gets an extended run in the IPL after coming back from an injury or when he's got a few months of downtime where he can relax before, after and during the tournament, I will bet you anything that he does well.

Worked for David Warner and Cameron White. Warner makes 89 and smacks a couple of 6s - suddenly he's our Messiah and gets a few ODIs out of it and a free CA contract. Cameron White made 140 over in England and it made him an automatic T20 selection for about the last 3 years.

Ponting never got a high bid because he'll never get to play, he's got a real job - captaining Australia. And he still went for more than Matthew Hayden. And Shane Warne went for a mere $50,000 more than Ponting. Judging a players T20 ability on their IPL auction value is just ridiculous. How about Shane Watson - $125,000. Shaun Marsh - $30,000. Umar Gul - $150,000.Or on the other end of the scale: Mashrafe Mortaza - $600,000 or Manoj Tiwary - $675,000. There are other guys like Jacques Kallis - $900,000. Look at Kallis' T20 record and tell me he's better than Ricky Ponting. Yeah those guys are obviously awesome because they got paid more...

I'm well aware of what Ponting averages. But the man has played a mere 20 games. Were you calling Mike Hussey the best since Bradman after his first 20 innings in Test cricket? No, of course not. Then why should Ponting be labelled a T20 dunce after only 20 games and as I explained earlier, there are many one-off games in that group. No chance for him to get used to T20 at all. I mean take only his 15 T20Is for Australia and suddenly his average is over 30 and strike rate over 130 - and that's against better oppositions than the IPL. Know what the god amongst men - Sachin Tendulkar averages in T20 career? 34 with a S/R of 127. Very similar to Ponting's T20I record. But yeah, Ponting can't play T20s...

And it's not just Tendulkar - when compared with many batsmen, his record isn't awful. Not great, but definitely OK I'd say. Compare him to Misbah's record or MS Dhoni or Jesse Ryder or JP Duminy. Ponting is the ballpark with all those guys. I mentioned earlier, if you want to rag on Aussies about their T20 record, go for Haddin or Clarke - much easier targets.
First of all there are not many players who have played 20 T20Is in the world. So I think it is a good sample size to judge a player in the shortest format.

Secondly, your argument for Ponting not performing in the IPL or T20s in general are laughable, because that applies to every International player. Not just Ponting. Dhoni has even more stressful job and schedule as captain of India as well as captain of KKR, but he is performing day in and day out right?

Thirdly, did you watch how Ponting went about in IPL 2008? Was absolutely "caught in the headlights". Never for once exuded an ounce of confidence. He knows he is not cut out for T20 and wisely excused himself from this year's event. Otherwise he'd have to bear the ignominy of sitting in the sidelines.

Fourthly, I have nothing against Ponting the batsman. He is a shmuck T20 player. A good ODI player and an amazing Test batsman. Australia needs him as the test player he is, and it would be wiser if he was relieved from the T20I squad. There is nothing exceptional value addition he can do in the shortest format. But he is irreplaceable in test matches. A bit of lack of foresight there from CA.

Fifthly, Ponting's fitness can no way be compared to Hayden's fitness. Hayden is an absolute brute and I think he is best suited for the shortest format now, as while his powers of concentration, an essential for tests, have waned considerably, he can thwack it in T20s with gay abandon. I think CA could have called him up for T20 WC in England as well. Unless of course, he explicitly said his retirement covered all formats for ever.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
OK buddy pony up. I've got some time to kill so lets get the boxing gloves back on :D

First of all there are not many players who have played 20 T20Is in the world. So I think it is a good sample size to judge a player in the shortest format.

Well argue it with a statistics professor. He'll say that 20 samples is pretty weak evidence. With 20 samples, you have an approximate error of 20-25% in your findings. So I could argue with statistics that Ponting's real average could be as high as 40 in T20Is. But that would be stupid with that amount of error built in. Just because everyone else has the same sample doesn't make it a good sample.

Secondly, your argument for Ponting not performing in the IPL or T20s in general are laughable, because that applies to every International player. Not just Ponting. Dhoni has even more stressful job and schedule as captain of India as well as captain of KKR, but he is performing day in and day out right?

You're proving my point buddy. Yes every international player has to deal with the lacklustre one-off scheduling of T20Is and as a result 80-90% of players have a worse international record than domestic record because of it. Look at Dhoni's record in T20Is and then in the IPL. Whopping difference. Why? Because T20Is are much harder to prepare for due to the scheduling and because you face tougher bowlers. Suddenly Ponting's T20I record is starting to look pretty good. And it's not just Dhoni, look at Sehwag or Gambhir - they've got very similar records if you only look at T20Is. But no wait, what's this? Ponting's T20I record is better than Sehwag AND Gambhir. No that's impossible it can't be true, he's a T20 shmuck and Sehwag and Gambhir are T20 gods...

Thirdly, did you watch how Ponting went about in IPL 2008? Was absolutely "caught in the headlights". Never for once exuded an ounce of confidence. He knows he is not cut out for T20 and wisely excused himself from this year's event. Otherwise he'd have to bear the ignominy of sitting in the sidelines.

Yep I watched pretty much every ball of IPL 2008 and certainly saw all of Ponting's innings. He was awful I agree. But it doesn't mean much. Everyone has bad runs as I tried to point out, and his record in T20Is (not to mention ODIs) shows what he might be able to do if given an extended run in the IPL. But if you want to say, nah his 4 IPL games are far more important in determining his quality than his 15 T20Is be my guest.

And to suggest he's scared of going to the IPL is ridiculous. So he's scared to earn a good lump of cash? No he's resting his wrist (and body) ahead of the Ashes - which is far more important than protecting his record in a make belief tournament for Indian juniors. Nah that's a bit harsh, I like the IPL, but it's got NOTHING on the Ashes. As for him possibly being forced to sit out due to his alleged ineptness, you forget who coaches KKR. John Buchanan would be itching to get Ponting into that team. Firstly it would give them a real captain, someone Buck trusts and secondly he's a pretty handy batsman too.

Fourthly, I have nothing against Ponting the batsman. He is a shmuck T20 player. A good ODI player and an amazing Test batsman. Australia needs him as the test player he is, and it would be wiser if he was relieved from the T20I squad. There is nothing exceptional value addition he can do in the shortest format. But he is irreplaceable in test matches. A bit of lack of foresight there from CA.

Totally agree with you. Except for the shmuck T20 player comment :p CA shouldn't let ANY of their Ashes squad compete in the T20 World Cup. Only exception would be if the physio wants Brett Lee to get some bowling or something like that. Otherwise, build a new squad of keen younger players. Australia has been pretty stubborn with it's adoption of T20 and before almost every T20I match they play you hear the players make comments about how the format has potential or how it could be big in the future. They just don't see the need to change anything NOW. But even that attitude has changed some after some of the squad members came back from the IPL and saw the fanaticism and popularity of the format. But it hasn't changed the Aussie tactics much. They pick the same players, keep the same batting order basically and just rely on talent to win. Worked OK last time, but not good enough to win the WC, and it probably won't be good enough this time either. Something needs to change.

Fifthly, Ponting's fitness can no way be compared to Hayden's fitness. Hayden is an absolute brute and I think he is best suited for the shortest format now, as while his powers of concentration, an essential for tests, have waned considerably, he can thwack it in T20s with gay abandon. I think CA could have called him up for T20 WC in England as well. Unless of course, he explicitly said his retirement covered all formats for ever.

I agree with you about Hayden's concentration, but don't see how Ponting would be any different. Once Ponting retires, like Hayden has, he would have plenty of time to relax and prepare for a once a year tournament. Surely that would only help him, instead of trying to jam in a few games between international tours.

And yes, Hayden's retirement did cover all formats, except backyard cricket. It's unlikely he'd want to be away from his family for another month for the World Cup. Same with Gilchrist or Warne. Sure they could be asked by the selectors, but I think it would be a tough sell.

Last edited:

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Well argue it with a statistics professor. He'll say that 20 samples is pretty weak evidence. With 20 samples, you have an approximate error of 20-25% in your findings. So I could argue with statistics that Ponting's real average could be as high as 40 in T20Is. But that would be stupid with that amount of error built in. Just because everyone else has the same sample doesn't make it a good sample.

A load of crap. Considering the total population of T20I matches that have been played, 20 is more than adequate sample to judge a player. And we are not just looking at those 20 matches, but also the other T20 domestic matches played by Ponting, in which he has done nothing to change my opinion about him. Sorry pal, better argument next time.

You're proving my point buddy. Yes every international player has to deal with the lacklustre one-off scheduling of T20Is and as a result 80-90% of players have a worse international record than domestic record because of it. Look at Dhoni's record in T20Is and then in the IPL. Whopping difference. Why? Because T20Is are much harder to prepare for due to the scheduling and because you face tougher bowlers. Suddenly Ponting's T20I record is starting to look pretty good. And it's not just Dhoni, look at Sehwag or Gambhir - they've got very similar records if you only look at T20Is. But no wait, what's this? Ponting's T20I record is better than Sehwag AND Gambhir. No that's impossible it can't be true, he's a T20 shmuck and Sehwag and Gambhir are T20 gods...

Why? Because Ponting has a god given right to be great in whatever he plays? Chill of and come of your high horses mate. Ponting is a shmuck player, Tendulkar is an average T20 player while Dhoni, Yuvraj, Gambhir are excellent T20 players. It is a fact, and holds nothing against their true values as world class test or ODI batsmen. It's just that they have found it difficult to adapt to this form.

And I can only laugh at your stupid inference that IPL and T20 Internationals vary vastly in terms of quality. I would rather go ahead and say IPL equals if not exceeds a normal T20 International in terms of quality. Anyway the records of Ponting in the IPL are there to be seen by all.

Yep I watched pretty much every ball of IPL 2008 and certainly saw all of Ponting's innings. He was awful I agree. But it doesn't mean much. Everyone has bad runs as I tried to point out, and his record in T20Is (not to mention ODIs) shows what he might be able to do if given an extended run in the IPL. But if you want to say, nah his 4 IPL games are far more important in determining his quality than his 15 T20Is be my guest.

Considering that he has done absolutely nothing, nothing, to prove that he could be a good IPL player or a T20 player in those 4 matches and chickened out of this year's IPL, the answer is simple, and by elimination clear, he is a shmuck T20 player. And he has had all of 2 good innings in his 20 match T20I career. A clear indicator of his inability at this level.

And to suggest he's scared of going to the IPL is ridiculous. So he's scared to earn a good lump of cash? No he's resting his wrist (and body) ahead of the Ashes - which is far more important than protecting his record in a make belief tournament for Indian juniors. Nah that's a bit harsh, I like the IPL, but it's got NOTHING on the Ashes. As for him possibly being forced to sit out due to his alleged ineptness, you forget who coaches KKR. John Buchanan would be itching to get Ponting into that team. Firstly it would give them a real captain, someone Buck trusts and secondly he's a pretty handy batsman too.

A make belief tournament for Indian juniors? You are kidding yourself here. Because then, your own icon players like Symonds, Gilly, Hayden etc couldnt wait to participate in the IPL. Oh yeah, there is the small matter of Ravi Bopara praising his stint in the IPL for his maiden test 100. You can continue to make yourself comfortable in your thick blanket assuming Ashes continue to be the premier competition in the world. By popularity and by following, unfortunately they are not. And tradition is something that is the last resort of the desperate. I love and am looking forward to the Ashes, because it is a test series, and I love tests. But I don't consider them to be in a scale that betters the marketability or following or competition of a Border Gavaskar Trophy.

I digress, sorry. Ponting was certain to be benched even if he had pledged to take part in IPL 2008. Chris Gayle, McCullum, Hodge are all better T20 players than this fellow and finally that's all what matters. Ponting knew this, and chickened out excusing rest and all that. There are players who have played far more cricket than Ponting during this period, look at Tendulkar, Dhoni etc. So don't give me the rest, and rejuvenation excuse.

Totally agree with you. Except for the shmuck T20 player comment :p CA shouldn't let ANY of their Ashes squad compete in the T20 World Cup. Only exception would be if the physio wants Brett Lee to get some bowling or something like that. Otherwise, build a new squad of keen younger players. Australia has been pretty stubborn with it's adoption of T20 and before almost every T20I match they play you hear the players make comments about how the format has potential or how it could be big in the future. They just don't see the need to change anything NOW. But even that attitude has changed some after some of the squad members came back from the IPL and saw the fanaticism and popularity of the format. But it hasn't changed the Aussie tactics much. They pick the same players, keep the same batting order basically and just rely on talent to win. Worked OK last time, but not good enough to win the WC, and it probably won't be good enough this time either. Something needs to change.

Ashes is still months away and a month long stint in a T20 tournament is not going to hurt the average player in his preparations. You talk as if Ashes are the end of the world. They are not. Once you start giving more than adequate importance to these, doubts creep in about your own performances, resulting in the fall like the one that happened to Hayden. It is pretty obvious that Australia is yet to take the world of T20Is seriously which is reflecting on their performances.

I agree with you about Hayden's concentration, but don't see how Ponting would be any different. Once Ponting retires, like Hayden has, he would have plenty of time to relax and prepare for a once a year tournament. Surely that would only help him, instead of trying to jam in a few games between international tours.

Ponting's body is not the same as Hayden's who can still put in a mile long swim in the ocean without panting. That showed in the IPL this year. Ponting's body is inevitably giving in after years of toil. It can be argued that Ponting can become better post retirement in T20s. But what people forget is that Hayden was already a legendary performer in T20s ever since inception. He is cut out for the format. Sadly Ponting is not.

And yes, Hayden's retirement did cover all formats, except backyard cricket. It's unlikely he'd want to be away from his family for another month for the World Cup. Same with Gilchrist or Warne. Sure they could be asked by the selectors, but I think it would be a tough sell.

Precisely why Australian Board is so confused when it comes to T20. They could have coaxed these champion players to make a final bow in the World Cup, as it won't take more than 3 weeks or so of touring, which they really won't mind I am sure. And I don't think the champions in them could really say NO to the offer of being in Aussie colors one last time, especially when they feel they are wanted.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
It doesn't seem like you guys are talking about Pakistan vs Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread