Australia and Pakistan in UAE

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Not as good 3rd ODI match for Bollinger but compared to the others he did well. Sadly for Laughlin just don't think he is up to this level and with the bowlers we have coming back this could be the end of the line. Dussey career is clearly over, while Ferguson continues to score at his quick rate taking over the Hussey/Bevan role. Haurtiz has also come good.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I didn't watch the second innings but I wasn't too happy with the batting in the latter stages of the first. After 30 overs, they were 142; finally the pitch looked like a decent one for batting and someone was set to post a good ODI target. In the next ten overs they scored 44, they'd lost some ground with the run rate, as well as a Powerplay and Symonds, but they still had good shape for a decent score if they played well. The damning moment was in the final ten, 0/64. Where was the late charge? If Watson was too weary to dominate after hours in the sapping heat, then he shouldn't have hung around (though admittedly, he did try to get out a couple of times).

In saying that, you can't really hang it all on one player, because that's what he did after all the things that happened earlier, the players who failed to score or got out when they should have been set. It's easy to criticise the guy who made it to the end for not getting there quick enough, but what of those players who didn't get there at all? Most of them had head starts, too!

I suppose in comparison with the last few games, it should have been plenty and that might have been part of the thinking behind the rather average final period, but it just didn't seem as tough out there. The attack Australia had picked was of course just to give everyone a run and couldn't really have been expected to win the game, that was something the batsmen should have done. There might be some cause for disappointment at being so easily swatted away, but they were after all, a genuine third string lineup.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Also, Kamran Akmal has an ODI conversion rate of over 70%. I think he is officially the most inconsistent player ever.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I didn't watch the second innings but I wasn't too happy with the batting in the latter stages of the first. After 30 overs, they were 142; finally the pitch looked like a decent one for batting and someone was set to post a good ODI target. In the next ten overs they scored 44, they'd lost some ground with the run rate, as well as a Powerplay and Symonds, but they still had good shape for a decent score if they played well. The damning moment was in the final ten, 0/64. Where was the late charge? If Watson was too weary to dominate after hours in the sapping heat, then he shouldn't have hung around (though admittedly, he did try to get out a couple of times).

In saying that, you can't really hang it all on one player, because that's what he did after all the things that happened earlier, the players who failed to score or got out when they should have been set. It's easy to criticise the guy who made it to the end for not getting there quick enough, but what of those players who didn't get there at all? Most of them had head starts, too!

I suppose in comparison with the last few games, it should have been plenty and that might have been part of the thinking behind the rather average final period, but it just didn't seem as tough out there. The attack Australia had picked was of course just to give everyone a run and couldn't really have been expected to win the game, that was something the batsmen should have done. There might be some cause for disappointment at being so easily swatted away, but they were after all, a genuine third string lineup.

Yeah it was interesting wasn't it. Basically after Haddin got out the run rate never really kicked up again. Consider the Aussies were 0/58 after 8.4 overs, just before Haddin's dismissal. After that, they were just slow and steady until Symonds got out at 36.3 with the score at 4/166. That means they added 4/108 in those middle 27.5 overs (3.88 RPO). From there Watson and Ferguson added 84 in 13.3 overs (6.22 RPO). So breaking it down like that the finish doesn't look too bad, not great, but definitely not the problem. I can almost bet that after Symonds got out the mid pitch conference between Watson and Ferguson might have mentioned a target of 250.

Once again it was the spinners who applied the brakes. The 30 overs of spin cost 122 (4.07 RPO) and the 20 overs of pace cost 125 (6.25 RPO).

I think the answer is to get Haddin back down the order and get him attacking the spinners. Watson has answered part of their opening problems and when Shaun Marsh eventually comes back he and Watson should be a good opening combination. Haddin likes to attack spin and could be a way to get Australia scoring quicker in those middle overs. Take the powerplay a couple of overs after he comes in to let him hit freely over the top.

Oh and left-field selection theory for today: How about David Warner as our all-powerful, innings closing #7? He's gotta be better at it than Cameron White and ideally a big hitter is perfect for that #7 role. Maybe not now, but in a couple of years when Warner's ready, it might be his way into the team.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
I think the answer is to get Haddin back down the order and get him attacking the spinners. Watson has answered part of their opening problems and when Shaun Marsh eventually comes back he and Watson should be a good opening combination. Haddin likes to attack spin and could be a way to get Australia scoring quicker in those middle overs. Take the powerplay a couple of overs after he comes in to let him hit freely over the top.

I don't see a spot for Haddin in the middle order with Clarke and Symonds holding down the 4 and 5. Symonds return has been a mixed bag but the selectors will keep him. Hussey is a shoe in for 6 so Haddin would be at 7 and 90% of the time won't be batting when the spinners are on. As opener he has shown he can survive till the spinners get on so that is our best way of getting him against the spin.

Wouldn't mind Warner at 7, he has gone well since being dropped and it would be a good way to get him back into the International arena. He will have the rest of the IPL and the T20 WC to show his improvement.

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Watson is now our confirmed opener after that 100 but the problem is who should open with him, Haddin is struggling nowadays as an opener and Clarke is better off at no.4, only option is Hopes but it looks like he won't be in the team much longer with all these good player coming to the squad.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Well obviously when fit it's Marsh. Until then we have a few options, I'd like to see Phil Jaques given another go in ODI cricket, it could help him pave the way back into the test team.

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Somebody's trying to fix Ramiz's commentating career :p

Obviously it hasn't worked since he and Waqar are the only ones who we hear. (And possibly the only ones articulate enough in the English language along with Imran)

Precambrian

International Cricketer
Watson's innings reeked of selfish cricket. The guy was not even looking for the big hits even after his 100. Cost Australia the match.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
Cricinfo with their timings. :mad It was supposed to start at 16:00 GMT, but I am just seeing the match is starting at 15:30 GMT.

There is no Younis Khan. And Lee is playing.

Here are the teams:

Pakistan: Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Salman Butt, Ahmed Shahzad, Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi, Kamran Akmal (wk), Umar Gul, Fawad Alam, Shoaib Akhtar, Sohail Tanvir, Saeed Ajmal.

Australia: Brad Haddin (capt and wk), Callum Ferguson, Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, Marcus North, Andrew Symonds, Shane Watson, David Hussey, Brett Lee, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Bracken.

ZexyZahid added 39 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

There is a delay in the start. Here is the reason: The game will only start after the Sheikh arrives

Pakistan have won the toss and opted to field.

ZexyZahid added 10 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Just get along with this already. :mad

ZexyZahid added 5 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

I didn't expect this. Cairns is in the studio talking with some girl. Who is she?

ZexyZahid added 45 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

Two wickets in a row for Afridi. :laugh Symonds is out for a duck.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
This was fun. A midget was dancing on screen. :laugh

Akmal just reached his fifty. He is really in form.

Users who are viewing this thread