Australia in India 2013/14-Limited Overs

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Cricket Australia announced their army of 14 men who will tour India in the coming month of October.

Australia in India 2013-14 : Haddin back in ODI side, Wade axed | Cricket News | India v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo.

The Fixtures - Fixtures, Schedule | India v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

Australia squad : Shane Watson, Aaron Finch, Phillip Hughes, Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey (vice-capt), Adam Voges, Brad Haddin (wk), Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Johnson, James Faulkner, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Clint McKay, Xavier Doherty.

Though there are are doubts over Clarke's availibilty.
The 14-man squad will be led by Michael Clarke, if his back injury allows him to

Considering ESPN's report which suggests some serious issues with Clarke's back, this would be an excellent chance for Bailey not only as a captain, but to prove his mettle as a batsman for their home Ashes which begins in November. Been in good form lately, and former players have already sparked a debate if he should be included in the Tests.

The only plausible explanation for Fawad Ahmed's exclusion I could find was a comment on the same article :
In my opinion, Fawad Ahmed was left out of this tour so he can get familiar with the Aussie pitch conditions for the upcoming Ashes..

It seems Steve Smith is hard hit by his injury. And whats with Pat Cummins?

As for the Indian team, there may not be many surprises as against the team which played in the West Indies, the only one being Mohit Sharma over Shami Mohammed maybe. Don't really want to see more of Karthik!
Guess is that the team would be selected for 3+2+2 matches.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Madness to recall Doherty even if the selectors wanted give Fawad more red ball practice ahead of the Ashes. Surely O'Keefe should have been picked :facepalm

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
As for the Indian team, there may not be many surprises as against the team which played in the West Indies, the only one being Mohit Sharma over Shami Mohammed maybe. Don't really want to see more of Karthik!
Guess is that the team would be selected for 3+2+2 matches.

The team should be pretty similar to the one that won champions trophy. I agree on Dinesh Karthik part. If he fails in first couple of ODI's, in comes Yuvraj Singh for me. However, it is hard to see Karthik letting this opportunity go of not scoring on home pitches. I am not sure but I feel like we might see a surprise in the squad with someone like Stuart Binny? He did not do well on that limited overs tour to South Africa with India A but he looks pretty handy at the end. I DO NOT WANT TO SEE MURLI VIJAY IN THE SQUAD. If you do want to take a reserve opener, take Rahane but not Vijay. Vijay is definately not an ODI player.

Shikhar Dhawan
Rohit Sharma
Virat Kohli
Dinesh Karthik
Suresh Raina
MS Dhoni
Ravindra Jadeja
R.Ashwin
B. Kumar
Ishant Sharma
Umesh Yadav

Middle order reserve: Yuvraj Singh
All-rounder reserve: Stuart Binny?/Opening reserve: Ajinkya Rahane
Spin bowling reserve: Amit Mishra
Fast bowling reserve: Shami Ahmed/Mohit Sharma

*Varun Aaron, WHERE ARE YOU?

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Michael Clarke insists ODI tour of India still important ahead of summer Ashes series - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Thoughts? I still believe Clarke and Watson could have been rested..

I DO NOT WANT TO SEE MURLI VIJAY IN THE SQUAD. If you do want to take a reserve opener, take Rahane but not Vijay. Vijay is definately not an ODI player.

He hasn't done anything to keep his place in the limited overs arena. Would be surprising if he is picked.
Agreed that Rahane should be in the side specifically as an opener. Though he has forced himself in the middle order just to make the cut, but failed.
Don't see Stuart Binny coming in that soon even though he had a prolific IPL stint, but haven't followed his FC/List A performances. It is obvious he will be in as an all-rounder, but considering Jadeja already in, with Yuvraj trying to force his way again with decent performances, it will be hard to pick him..

*Varun Aaron, WHERE ARE YOU?

Following his Facebook updates, he has undergone a slight change in bowling action under supervision, but says that he is still up with his pace.

zeustrojanstark

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Vijay should not even think of making it into the squad. I want Viru and Yuvi to make a comeback. India have not seen the last of the legendary Virender Sehwag. C'mon Viru we need you back! Other than that, i see a very similar squad. Actually Parthiv Patel ahead of Karthick looks like a good choice. Patel has shown some nice skills.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Rohit Sharma has pencilled in as an opener. I wouldn't move him from there. And yes, Yuvi in for Murali Vijay would be a good replacement. And also, agree with Parthiv Patel for Dinesh Karthik. Parthiv can open the innings in case Rohit or Dhawan are not playing.

Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, Raina, Yuvraj, Rayudu, Dhoni, Parthiv, Jadeja, Ashwin, Mishra, Bhuvaneshwar, Ishant, Mohit, Yadav

For Indian conditions, three spinners plus Yuvraj would be good.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
I think the more important question is- who cares? If this series isn't to give youngsters a chance to push for future selection, then I really couldn't give less of a early September. IMO, India already knows what it's best ODI team is for the world cup, so until closer to the event itself, it should just play un-established players.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Pretty much all series until the next WC mean little, winning helps but it's all about building towards the WC.

If we are being honest from an AUS view, this series should not be played. The ridiculousness of AUS play a 7 MATCH ODI SERIES in India 3 weeks before the Ashes! :facepalm

The AUS team (especially the batsmen) should be getting the maximum amount of first-class games, spending long hours at the crease.

I will watch this series, but damn CA has seriously crippled AUS Ashes preparation already.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
They haven't learnt anything from the last time as they did the exact same thing. At least we don't have a Test series there as well.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
They haven't learnt anything from the last time as they did the exact same thing. At least we don't have a Test series there as well.

Don't forget the 3 ODI's we played against Sri Lanka before the Ashes started.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Australia in India 2013-14 : Yuvraj Singh back in limited-overs squad | Cricket News | India v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Shikhar Dhawan, Rohit Sharma, Virat Kohli, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, R Ashwin, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Ishant Sharma, Vinay Kumar, Amit Mishra, Ambati Rayudu, Mohammed Shami, Jaydev Unadkat
Out from Champions Trophy: Umesh Yadav, Dinesh Karthik, M Vijay, Irfan Pathan
In from Champions Trophy: Yuvraj Singh, Ambati Rayudu, Jaydev Unadkat, Mohammed Shami

Not a bad squad we have in here. Umesh Yadav was bowling very wayward during the recently concluded challenger trophy which might be the reason he is not there. His overall record is not that good as well. Surprise to see Jaydev Unadkat still in the squad and no Mohit Sharma. I guess they want a left-armer to add the variety in the attack. I feel it's harshon Karthik as well because he was decent throughout the last 3 series but I think if they pick Yuvraj in the squad, he has to be there in the final 11.

vaibhavtewatia

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Would welcome the decision of dropping Umesh Yadav, only if it for long term purposes. He's been in the team for a long time now, has reduced his pace so as to focus more on line length and swing, basically for Test matches, is what I guess. Else, very unfortunate if he's dropped..

Unadkat doesn't deserve to be in team, if Mohit Sharma doesn't :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread