Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters

genghis_khan

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
James219 said:
Once again an indication of how weak SA are, they just don't have the ability to take the game away from the opposition, you may say they can't stick the knife in when their opponents are down, and recognize a winning opportunity. But full credit to Aus, excellent composure displayed by Lee, he's really matured as a cricketer in every aspect, and in a minor way, Kasprowicz might feel as if he's redeemed himself...

so are u still an "england" supporter jim?

we all know you're an aussie at heart :p

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
Great win and wonderful effort by Lee to hang in there till the end doing what Martyn really should have done.

Oh yeah and Langer was definantly going to bat.
They showed the aussies in the room celebrating and Langer had his gloves on.

Paelleon

School Cricketer
I stopped posting on this forum because I was tired of reading posts that belittle other teams. I've always felt that cricket is the one sport where the hatred that flows so freely elsewhere has no place. I would never think of slating a team as I've read almost every person here do.

I'm not going to go back through a few hundred posts of sneering to see if this has been mentioned - and my apologies if there is someone decent enough who has posted this before.

The cricket in this last test, and indeed in the test before that (I'll forget about the dismal performance in Cape Town) was exemplary. The skill of Lee, the brilliance of Ponting, the studied calm of Kallis, the fire of Ntini, the talent of Pollock, the fight and canny of Warne ... I was left breathless.

The umpiring was pathetic, weak and lopsided. By my clalculations - Aus still need at least 79 (19 from Lee, and 60 odd from Hussey); and that's just a few of the bad decisions by Mr Bucknor and Mr Hill. I'm not even counting the Prince decision, or the Hayden catch. Or even the non-bad light in Durban, or the bad light to Lee yesterday afternoon, or on day two.

This may sound like sour grapes - but at least I can say that Aus played well. SA did deserve the test victory (having to get Hussey out four times), well done to Aus for snatching it from the jaws of defeat. Excellent job by SA to turn the tide on day four to make it as close as it was. Great cricket all round.

Bad attitude from most forum members who can't see past their own players. I mean, why root for a bad performance from Ntini? why say a double celebration is in order if he doesn't get his five-for?

I shake my head, and wonder: Most decent people around the world are asking where the 'chivalry' in cricket has gone. I hear people ask why no one asks a fielder if he caught it - takes the answer and acts on it, trusting the fielder's integrity. I think it is a very small wonder - if the fans are as warlike, unchivalrous, and unfriendly as this ...

Oh, and if you ask me who won this game for Aus - it was the pair of Bucknor and Hill, no one else.

hondeyho

International Cricketer
It's sport and it happens unfortunatly, sport is dogged by rumours and hearsay. It's natural to want someone to put in a bad performance if you're supporting the other team though. As a passer-by though you always wish everyone good luck and I still don't think that the true meaning of cricket has been lost.

The umpires may have been dodgy but at the end of the day their decision is final, and atleast the situation is better than in some sports e.g. football.

Last edited:

vizard

School Cricketer
Wow i was so nervous at the end but we did win it thanks to Lee & Kaspa..and in no small measure to Martyn and despite what Paellon has to say, Hussey !! .. You might have complaints about the bad attitudes i'm not so sure i've not been around here for long enough but as long it doesnt get on a player personally it's ok i think..there's always been banter and trying to pull ur opponents down that sorta thing happening, even among the players themselves and i dont think anyone minds that. Still i respect view on that, yes it does get a bit boring when all ppl do is try pull others down and thats precisely why Smith's come in for flak..all words , not much backing up through performances.. the Ntini example wasnt the right one for what u trying to suggest though... Ntini had got 9, and at that stage no one knew if Langer was gonna bat or not so he must've assumed if Ntini picks another, the match woudlve been over.. So mere fact here said he'd celebrate if Ntini doesn't pick up 5, doesnt mean he's performed badly or that concerned mate was wishing ill on him.

Regarding the thing of catches, wasn't Ponting always the one who was the supporter of taking fielder's word for it...as far as i remember during the Cricket Captain's meet while the Australia v/s Rest of World super-series was on, most other captains, including Smith snubbed and were sceptic about Ponting's view and felt umpires and technology had to take over in 21st century.. Still admit though Hayden should've walked off during 1st test, but the rule there is silly..it seems they can consult 3rd Umpire only if they unsighted and not when they seen it and unsure..One rule for referal for catches and quite another for run-outs.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
It was only about 18 months ago that Australia were making a big thing of walking when they knew they were out to try and shake off the gamesmanship tag.
I think that I said at the time was that, that's great if you're winning easily but let's see if they still do it when teams are competing with them. Great series win by Australia; no mean feat to go to SA and win 3-0 especially without Glenn McGrath.
SA are a good team and a proud team so it's a really fantastic victory.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
By "Australia" you mean Adam Gilchrist. Ponting has long said that while players in his team are free to walk off if they like, he and several other players certainly won't be.

On the topic of umpiring, it's all very easy to say what decisions cost how many runs, but at the end of the day, we'll never know how a wicket here or there would have changed the course of the match.

rickyp

International Coach
in cricket there is a very fine line between playing for yourself and the team. In test cricket anyway, playing for not outs in one dayers is far more obvious. Thats my view anyway, personally i think that a lot of players in cricket play for themselves

sachin

International Coach
A tight finish,but a good win.Congrats!Some good bowling by Ntini,Clarke,and a couple of classy innings from Hussey.Martyn saved himself nicely for his knock today.

YOTC

Club Cricketer
WG. said:
In my view Martyn plays for himself, rather than the team.
You base that on?

If you had seen the over where he had gotten out it was no surprise it was coming....

5 balls all pitching on the same spot......1st one went away,2nd on went straight, 3rd in, 4th away, 5th in. Srambled seam so it was not like he could pick it. It was just a spot on the pitch causing all sorts of problems.

WG.

School Cricketer
YOTC said:
You base that on?

If you had seen the over where he had gotten out it was no surprise it was coming....

5 balls all pitching on the same spot......1st one went away,2nd on went straight, 3rd in, 4th away, 5th in. Srambled seam so it was not like he could pick it. It was just a spot on the pitch causing all sorts of problems.

Tbh mate that is my perception.

I watched the game on Sky you numpty and yes it was a good over (hawk eye suggesting the first lbw shout was clipping and the two that didn't carry to slips). I'm not just basing it on this one game, altho after his hundred he seemed to lose a little concentration.

I'm not saying my statement is 100% accurate, it is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread