Australia ODI side named

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
lol doherty, he would get smashed to all parts, he's not overly quick and he doesn't spin the ball.

Bit harsh to base everything on the one test match, he's got a brilliant OD record for a spinner in Australia and looked very good in his debut ODIs in which he's got four wickets at 15.

Num

Club Cricketer
1. S.Watson
2. B.Haddin (wk)
3. B.Hodge
4. M.Clarke
5. C.White
6. M.Hussey
7. J.Hopes
8. B.Lee
9. X.Doherty
10. S.Tait
11. D.Bollinger

I think Hopes was treated a bit harshly by the selectors, particularly given that his replacement at #7 is Smith. Smith hasn't shown he can be a better batsman than Hopes at ODI level, nor do I think he's as likely to keep it tight in the middle overs.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Well he doesn't spin a ball. I wouldn't say he gets smashed though. He's a reasonable opening bowler in One Day cricket.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
he would get carted in india is all i'm saying, they need someone who flights the ball and gets spin or someone like yardy/vettori.

Themer

Chairman of Selectors
they need someone who flights the ball and gets spin or someone like yardy

Have you ever seen Yardy bowl? He's never flighted a delivery in his life let alone got one to spin. He bowls left hand darts at varying speeds.

War

Chairman of Selectors
lol doherty, he would get smashed to all parts, he's not overly quick and he doesn't spin the ball.

here's what i want to see, maybe against associate nations it might work.

1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin+
3. Brad Hodge
4. Michael Hussey
5. Cameron White*
6. David Hussey
7. Steven Smith
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Brett Lee
10. Ryan Harris/Peter Siddle
11. Doug Bollinger

D Hussey & Steven Smith are the two spinners and 4 fast bowlers.

Ye this would probably be the best XI. Just replace Ponting for Hodge when the WC starts.

Also we would have to forget abt Ryno Harris for now since he is highliy unlikely to be back for the WC. Thus Tait would come instead of Sidvicious who probably isn't suited to bowling in ODIs just yet.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
i just wanted a fast bowlers attack to scare the batsmen really, so Tait would be even better. :p

Num

Club Cricketer
Have you ever seen Yardy bowl? He's never flighted a delivery in his life let alone got one to spin. He bowls left hand darts at varying speeds.

Note the "or". I think he meant "they need someone who flights the ball and gets spin or someone like yardy/vettori (who generally do not spin the ball an awful lot but generally keep it tight in the middle overs of an ODI)."

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Would be harsh to discard Doherty because of a mistake by the selectors. He is still a very good limited overs bowler and deserved his ODI call up. He is definitely worth another look in this format.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Michael Clarke (capt), Cameron White, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Xavier Doherty, Peter Siddle, Shaun Tait, Doug Bollinger.

Australia v England 2010-11: Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and David Hussey in ODI squad | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Hodge really unlucky not to make it, same for Christian. These selectors really love Siddle as he hasn't done much in this format to warrant a spot. And no idea what David Hussey did to earn a recall.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Almost the perfect squad really you can say.

Great to see them picking Dussey for ODIs again, since i feared they would pick Ferguson over him. Hopeully he takes his chances this time & further into the WC, since a test birth after that is very possible.

Hauritz & Doherty obviously are battling for one spot in WC 15-man squad. So their next spot for the WC 15 will be taken by the back-up keeper in Paine or Wade.

Siddle shouldn't be their. When Ponting returns he will take his spot.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I was surprised that Callum Ferguson wasn't selected, but cricinfo is mentioning that he may participate later on in the ODI series.

The best bowling attack of Australia would be Johnson, Lee, Tait and Harris (if he recovers from his injury). Normally in a team a spinner would fit in, because Australia is really lacking from a spinner nowadays. I really hope Cameron White will be selected for the World Cup.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Michael Clarke (capt), Cameron White, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Steven Smith, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Xavier Doherty, Peter Siddle, Shaun Tait, Doug Bollinger.

Australia v England 2010-11: Brett Lee, Shaun Tait and David Hussey in ODI squad | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Hodge really unlucky not to make it, same for Christian. These selectors really love Siddle as he hasn't done much in this format to warrant a spot. And no idea what David Hussey did to earn a recall.

Dussey never should have been dropped in th 1st place as ive argued before. When he played ODs in 2009 he didn't have a settled position & AUS had alot of injuries.

His all-round ability with his off-spin, would make him very useful in the sub-continent once he plays to potential.

Users who are viewing this thread