Australia Team Discussion

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
not much to say except australia are doing whats expected, although they were unlucky with the rain.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
Yeah and with our loss to New Zealand that's as good as a loss because the Aussies could've penciled that game against Bangladesh. One upside is that we took 9 wickets but I think this has been a wake up call.

Next match against Afghanistan will be a chance for them to blow out the cob webs but I was wondering before yesterday's game was the 2 week layoff a help or a hindrance? Well it seemed to be a hindrance. I'm more worried about our match against Sri Lanka next Sunday. I'll be there cheering on the Aussies at the SCG but it's a must win in my opinion.

Last edited:

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
New Zealand (Silver Fern)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I wouldn't worry too much about your batting. That was a match that featured 4 of the worlds best bowlers in full flight, no pitch conditions or short boundaries are going to matter when you've got bowlers in full flight, form and fitness.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye AUS are fine, just got outdone on the day to some top class kiwi bowling.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Hey Australia. Don't fearsome tweak this up tomorrow, okay. Get the job done. See you in Melbourne.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
Congrats Australia, not all fairy tales have happy endings - glad we had the Final the World Cup deserved just a shame we didn't bring our A game to give you guys a better run for your money. Deserved champions, well done.

bigred

Club Captain
A few questions from an Englishman.

Can anyone tell me why Adam Voges has never played test cricket?

Who out of Burns, Lynn, M Marsh or S Marsh will get the 6th batting spot in the Ashes?

Who will join Harris and Johnson in the ashes bowling attack? I see Siddle has had a very good season. A lot better than the likes of Bird, Pattinson, Richardson, Coulter Nile and Cummins.

Will Starc's white ball form get him into the test side?

Is Fawad putting Nathan Lyon under pressure?

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Congrats Australia, not all fairy tales have happy endings - glad we had the Final the World Cup deserved just a shame we didn't bring our A game to give you guys a better run for your money. Deserved champions, well done.

You guys are way too nice over in NZ. The best side won, but what a sack of dicks they look when they're hurling abuse at anyone with a bat in his hand, even when they've got the game by the throat. Who cares how good a player you are if you take the field like a pissed up, illiterate arsehole spoiling for a fight at kicking out time.

The English team has made more than it's fair share of cheap dick moves in recent years and I've got no time for that either, but my impression is that the NZ guys are playing with a more positive spirit, and that's why they're currently my favourite side. You can play tough, entertaining cricket without being a petty loudmouth, and I'm sorry that this time the better players beat the better men.

War

Chairman of Selectors
A few questions from an Englishman.

Can anyone tell me why Adam Voges has never played test cricket?

Who out of Burns, Lynn, M Marsh or S Marsh will get the 6th batting spot in the Ashes?

Who will join Harris and Johnson in the ashes bowling attack? I see Siddle has had a very good season. A lot better than the likes of Bird, Pattinson, Richardson, Coulter Nile and Cummins.

Will Starc's white ball form get him into the test side?

Is Fawad putting Nathan Lyon under pressure?

Voges is only now really making a strong case for test selection.

# 6 Ashes spot should be M Marsh because potentially Watson days as test all-rounder is numbered.

Hazlewood looks good for third spot, but Siddle's very good end to the shield season may have put him back i contention.

Starc may get chance to prove that in the Caribbean before Ashes.

Probably not pressure, but current form will keep Lyon on his toes for sure.

Biggs

This guy gets it
BGZ..
Profile Flag
The best side won, but what a sack of dicks they look when they're hurling abuse at anyone with a bat in his hand

Hey listen, that's how they've played for decades, man. Maybe worse in recent times and I will say it's telling that their top scorer got handshakes when he was dismissed with respectful applause from the team, while ours (who is most likely also retiring) got a send-off short of tomato throwing from half the team. McCullum said it best in the press conference, NZ has established a brand of cricket that has been embraced by the cricket world and it's not often you get a Captain, let alone a losing one, get a big round of applause from a room of Journalists!

Australia won, hands down. Did they want it more than us? Unlikely. But we lost with dignity, humility and credit to the opposition. Couldn't ask anything more of my team this World Cup. Super proud of the lot of them, if nothing else, they're role models for every under 18 kid that walks out to the wicket hoping to make the next World Cup squad.

bigred

Club Captain
Voges is only now really making a strong case for test selection.

# 6 Ashes spot should be M Marsh because potentially Watson days as test all-rounder is numbered.

Really? Voges' career average is 45 with 25 hundreds. Pretty decent. Certainly better than a few recent debutants like Quiney, Doolan, S Marsh and Cowan.

If Watson doesn't play, then that would open up two batting slots. Rogers, Warner, Clarke and Smith are guaranteed a place. Mitch Marsh would bat at 6, so a number 3 would be needed. Looking at domestic stats, Burns seems to be the best option.

dp458

Club Captain
Really? Voges' career average is 45 with 25 hundreds. Pretty decent. Certainly better than a few recent debutants like Quiney, Doolan, S Marsh and Cowan.

If Watson doesn't play, then that would open up two batting slots. Rogers, Warner, Clarke and Smith are guaranteed a place. Mitch Marsh would bat at 6, so a number 3 would be needed. Looking at domestic stats, Burns seems to be the best option.

Warner
Rogers
Smith
Clarke C
M.Marsh
Haddin WK
Johnson
Harris
Lyon

I see only 2 spots really up for grabs 3 is a shootout between SMarsh,Burns and Watto ( i think they will go for SMArsh, as you wont needs wattos bowling with MMArsh playing, and i think he will actually bat at 3, dont think they will move smith up to 3 as has been rumoured)
10 Hazelwood and Starc, personally think it will come down the the caribeean where both will surely play
Although no way Harris stays fit the whole Ashes tour so both will play

And presuming they go 16 man squad i expect Fawad ( need a spare spinner given how us english play spin) and 2 from Sids/Cummins/Pattinson to round the squad out

Issue for sids and fawad and there form is, its all well and good doing it in state cricket, but the step up is big (maybe not for the windies)

Same sort of applies to voges plus his age is against him

The intersting thing for me will be who will replace Rogers at the top. after the Ashes when he inevitably retires, i think they will give Burns a go.

The ODI team looking forward is also still very strong, if you rule out players that wont be at the next WC it gives you something like this

Warner
Finch
Smith C
Maxwell
MMarsh
Faulkner
Wade WK
Starc
Hazlewood
Cummins

Which is basically the same as is, with Cummins replacing MJ, MMArsh for watto, and the only issue is the batsman to replace clarke, but id make this australia team favourites to win the WC in England in 2019

Chief

Panel of Selectors
Hey listen, that's how they've played for decades, man. Maybe worse in recent times and I will say it's telling that their top scorer got handshakes when he was dismissed with respectful applause from the team, while ours (who is most likely also retiring) got a send-off short of tomato throwing from half the team. McCullum said it best in the press conference, NZ has established a brand of cricket that has been embraced by the cricket world and it's not often you get a Captain, let alone a losing one, get a big round of applause from a room of Journalists!

Australia won, hands down. Did they want it more than us? Unlikely. But we lost with dignity, humility and credit to the opposition. Couldn't ask anything more of my team this World Cup. Super proud of the lot of them, if nothing else, they're role models for every under 18 kid that walks out to the wicket hoping to make the next World Cup squad.

Australia are not necessarily bad losers. But they are *terrible* winners, which is very sad.

At least New Zealand won a lot of hearts during this tournament: I'd be a proud supporter if I was a Kiwi.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
Hey listen, that's how they've played for decades, man. Maybe worse in recent times and I will say it's telling that their top scorer got handshakes when he was dismissed with respectful applause from the team, while ours (who is most likely also retiring) got a send-off short of tomato throwing from half the team.

The aussies I know socially are all great guys to hang out with. In terms of the aussies I knew playing cricket, there were a lot of guys who were fun to play against. They'd have a word with you but it wasn't usually nasty or personal, and often fairly funny.

There were some fine Aussie pros who worked hard for their clubs and didn't either take or dish out a lot of shit. There were some arses as well - I remember one ex test player in particular who was literally heckling every shot I played when he bowled at me - but I never saw anything as bad as some of the more recent stuff.

The lbw that Elliot reviewed was a case in point. He copped an earful from Haddin and Maxwell for that and it just looked atrocious. Grown men bawling like gigantic crybabies because Maxwell couldn't bowl straight enough and because NZ took an excellent decision on the review. That's just pure dickery, and the send off was even worse.

Users who are viewing this thread