Australian Domestic Cricket

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
He's one of those players the ugly batsmen must hate, because he flatters to deceive so easily. Yes the bat can come through quite elegantly, but technically, his footwork and backlift are built for facing straight bowling. When the ball is moving, he's a poodle.

Harsh. But i'm inclined to agree.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
Surely not. You think they would try and put a score on the board first before doing that

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Probably were, most teams do this in the Shield final. But I would be very impressed if they manage to draw it given most games this season have finished in a result.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Queensland's bowling is quite good and their most dangerous aspect. I think Tassie have played the right game by grinding a platform and trying to attack a bit more with runs on the board. They've converted the extra day into advantage. If they'd gotten out for 200-300, they'd have kept Qld way too close in the game.

Sedition

Panel of Selectors
Good rescue mission from Paine and Faulkner though, may have just snuffed out Qld's chances here.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Always good to see players stepping up in the face of a collapse, that is the sort of stuff we need (not including our bowlers).

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Any fightback after trailing by nearly 200 runs against a team that has 1 genuine tailender is something of a Sisyphean task. Harris has showed why Queensland is in the final, but most of Tassie has shown why they're in the final and that's the difference between the teams.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Points i gathered from the final

- Harris showed why he probably is still AUS # 1 test bowler when fit. But damn i still worry that playing 4-day & test cricket could end his career prematurely. How much of the 10 Ashes test can AUS really depend on him to play?

I hope the physio's know what they are going with him, cause i would hate to wake up & hear that his career is ended just because of playing too much long form cricket.

- Given the obvious batting woes in AUS cricket currently, it would have been nice if one of two much hyped young batsmen Doolan or Burns could have scored big in the final.

- Overall season based on stats all of Cosgrove, Rogers, Ferguson have to be seriously considered for a test place in the Ashes. AUS don't have a choice because things are that shaky currently they can't be ignored.

- Faulkner's batting is interesting. Still think if AUS want to play an all-rounder @ 7 in test like they did in India - Faulkner overall game is a bit more rounded than Henriques currently.

It's going to be hard to not play Lyon now given his 7 wicket haul & i believe Watson in tests at least should give up bowling & just focus on opening.

Watson
Warner/Hughes
Rogers
Bailey
Clarke
Haddin
Faulkner
Siddle
Pattinson
Starc/Harris
Lyon

Khawaja, Cosgrove, Ferguson, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bird, Cutting, Wade/Paine, Ahmed/O'Keefe

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
- Given the obvious batting woes in AUS cricket currently, it would have been nice if one of two much hyped young batsmen Doolan or Burns could have scored big in the final.

Or Bailey...:p

I imagine since no batsman has really put their hand up it'll be the same batsmen as the India tour that will board the plane for the Ashes. And I probably agree - if we're going to upheave the batting lineup based on Ferguson's and Cosgrove's averages of 39 this season then things truly are desperate. Doolan's average of 51 for the season looks good on paper, but it's only 30 in the 5 Shield games since the Big Bash. Picking him based on what will be 9 month old form would be ambitious too.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ye Bailey too of course.

Doolan is a weird one. Take out his 161* vs S Africa in a game where i suspect like in all warm-up games visiting teams don't always play to full intensity - he has one hundred all season. Which would technically bring his batting efforts on par sort of with what Cosgrove & Ferguson did this season.

Either way as we both know, it simply shows the paucity of the batting talent, since we discussing scraps sadly.

IanG

Club Captain
Profile Flag
Australia
This season's BBL draw has been released
2013-14 BBL

Interesting that the Renegades have a home game on the date of what is scheduled to be Day 5 of the Boxing Day Test.

I'll still be in Melbourne. Tempted to go along.

Users who are viewing this thread