Australia's Tour Of India - 2008

nikhil_99

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
But finally the most anticipated tour of 08 ended,India winning easily,more than 5000 people wrote in this thread,a lot happened in between the test,Gilly's book anh his comments...Gambhir's ban..Kumble's retirement...

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Ganguly's retirement will hog headlines for a long long time. He is such a rock star in India and a part of the Fab Four that his retirement will be remembered as the first in the series of retirements of the Fab Four. Sachin retiring will see even non-Indians melt and would make them not want to see him go (not all non-indians, quite a few of them).

Chetan0304

Chairman of Selectors
Greg Thanks a lot dear coach, there's a good article in our local newspaper and a bit humorous one on Greg his tips etc. ;)
well deserved win for the Indians looking forward to Dravid in England series (ODI & TEST) :cool:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
He kept you in the match as much as he kept you out of it, though. The runs he gave away came far too easily. And as already mentioned, more than a few of his dismissals came because of complacency.

If the match had been closer (within 75-80 runs of the target) then I would have given it to Krejza undoubtedly. But leaking that many runs in Test cricket that quickly is not good enough for a MoM in my book.

sohum added 3 Minutes and 31 Seconds later...

You would have been right if Ponting didn't just lose a series because of very sub-par captaincy. Starting from team selections, to marshalling his bowlers to attacking and defending at the right times. The captain's role is also very important from a mental point of view. Good captains get the best out of their players.

Do you really think that if Australia had Dhoni as captain they would have won the series??

Has Ponting's motivational abilities and cricket brain suddenly vanished?? The man WINS 68% of his test matches as captain and this was only the SECOND series he has lost.

So what was different this series?? His bowling attack. Instead of Brad Hogg he had Cameron White. Instead of a fast healthy Lee we have an underdone 135-140kph Lee. Instead of a Stuart Clark who revels on pitches that bounce, we see him forced to bowl straight on dead pitches. Johnson and Watson were OK - they did the jobs most people expected them too.

Combine a worse bowling attack with a quality Indian batting lineup and suddenly your captaincy will look pretty bad. That's why I say captaincy is overrated. It is 80-90% player ability and form, combined with a sprinkling of motivation and tactics from the captain/coach/self that wins you a series. I don't think a 10-20% improvement from Australia would have won them the series.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
Australia can only blame their bowling department for this humiliating series loss. Only Krejza and Watson were the bowlers who managed to pick up wickets and Siddle and Johnson also did a good job.

Brett Lee averaged 61 and Clark averaged 80 in this series. White averaged 68 but well we can't blame him he's just an all rounder.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The problem with Johnson is he didn't get wickets when we needed them. Just have to look at the last test where he only took 1 wicket when we needed a lot more from him. Lee was ordinary and probably should have been dropped after the 2nd test in hindsight.

Our other problem was not being able to main the shine on one side of the ball. I have a feeling it was cause of Johnson's seam position and at times Lee.

Lastly I reckon a swing bowler would have been handy in the conditions and Bollinger was the man for that. We will never know what he could have done but he would have brought swing and reverse to the team.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Do you really think that if Australia had Dhoni as captain they would have won the series??
That's like comparing apples and oranges. Dhoni has not been part of the Australian team or dynamic so really making that sort of substitution makes no sense in any sort of argumentative way. You can compare Kumble and Dhoni. While under Dhoni, the players definitely looked more dynamic and in spirits than while under Kumble. It's obvious that being the wicket-keeper, he's got a much better idea about the pitch than Kumble does, and he can also shout out ideas to the bowler every few deliveries. It was Dhoni who orchestrated Mishra's dismissal of Clarke in the final over in Mohali. He kept shouting at Mishra to try going around the wicket and as soon as he did... well the rest is history, eh?

Has Ponting's motivational abilities and cricket brain suddenly vanished?? The man WINS 68% of his test matches as captain and this was only the SECOND series he has lost.
I have never really rated Ponting's captaincy. You can dig back through my posts on PC and I have always maintained that it was the fact that Ponting had a mass of match-winners in his team that allowed him to win. Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne had the accuracy and talent to bowl people out without Ponting needing to tell them anything. Batting-wise you can claim that Ponting led from the front, but remember that you need 20 wickets to win a Test match and with men of the talent of McGrath and Warne as well as a fired up, young Brett Lee, captaincy would've been much easier than controlling a team that obviously does not measure up to them.

So what was different this series?? His bowling attack. Instead of Brad Hogg he had Cameron White. Instead of a fast healthy Lee we have an underdone 135-140kph Lee. Instead of a Stuart Clark who revels on pitches that bounce, we see him forced to bowl straight on dead pitches. Johnson and Watson were OK - they did the jobs most people expected them too.
Well let me pose a couple of questions for you. He didn't have Brad Hogg, but he had Simon Katich who was a chinaman (the same as Brad Hogg). He had Jason Krejza, an actual spinner of the ball, waiting in the wings for 3 Test matches. Katich probably bowled less than 20 overs total and Krejza wasn't picked but for a last resort. Where was trying something new when things weren't working? If India is a place for spinners to succeed, why wasn't Katich tried more? Your very fellow Australians on the forum wondered at the way he was shuffling (or rather, not shuffling) his bowling. Finally, I would argue that not trusting Brett Lee went a long way in pushing his confidence down. In that session where Ponting claimed that he didn't use Lee to "increase the over rate" (yet, strangely, even the over rate in that session did not do help significantly), he basically told Lee that the captain had lost faith in him.

Combine a worse bowling attack with a quality Indian batting lineup and suddenly your captaincy will look pretty bad. That's why I say captaincy is overrated. It is 80-90% player ability and form, combined with a sprinkling of motivation and tactics from the captain/coach/self that wins you a series. I don't think a 10-20% improvement from Australia would have won them the series.
First of all, you cannot really assign percentages to such a non-numerical quantity. Besides, you're forgetting that although we are viewing Test matches as isolated incidents, time doesn't really flow that way. Losing confidence in Brett Lee so early in the series definitely affected his bowling performance throughout the remainder. And it's easy to hide under the guise of a different levels in the talents of the teams but when there are so many incidents of bad captaincy to point out, independent of the situation (team selection, over-rates, etc.) then there quite simply is something different at play.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
The spirit and attitude of dhoni, he let Ganguly take over as captain and lead the team in the final moments of the game. Such a wonderful sight it is!

Some special things only come at rare times, and the past years that were, they will be remembered forever, the world cup, and lots more. Thanks for everything India.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The media and news channel of India are wosrt object and their men are horrible creatures. It was so annoying the commnets they were making against tour players.

Comments were.

Katich -

Ponting - Yey janab run lena nehi jante hogaye run out, gusse se Ponting ka muh lal go gaya.

( This man doesn't know how to take runs. He is way anger.)

Clarke - Yey janab kuch nehi kar paye, Ishant ke samne bacche ka hawa sukh gaya.

( He couldn't do anything, this kid has lost his power infront of Ishant )

Hussey - Mai hu Hussey, batting to aise kar rahe the jaise ki akela hi sab runs kar lenge. Yey aye Mishra aur hosh ura diya hussey ka. Hussey to sharm se hi jhuk gaya, jaiee jaiyee jaldi jaiyee aur bheje dusreko jaldi.

( I am Hussey. he is batting in such a way like he alone can drive australia to victory, MIshras bowling has astonished hussey. Hussey's face is down in shame, Go go, please go and send the next one quickly)

Hayden - Harbhajan Singh ne ball dala aur yey gaya Hayden saab. Harbhajan ne faas liya hayden ko.

( Harbhajan Singh bowls and Hayden gone, Bhajji has trapped Hayden )

Haddin - Jab uparwale thik nehi paye to aap kiya chiz hai. Jaiyee, dusreko bhejiye.

( Top orders couldn't do anything, who the hell are you ?? Go and send the next one)

Watson - Jaiyee, apbhi kuj nehi kar payenge.

( Go, you too are useless)

White - Inke to hosh i ur gaye. Australia jaake kuch pracrise fractise kar lijeye

( He has lost his frame, Go and do some practise in Australia)

Krejza - Crease se to aise barke aye, jaise ki akela hi kuch kar dikhaynge. Jaiyee apbhi jaiyee.

( The way he advanced from crease, looks he will do something big enough. Go , you too go)

Lee - Inka to bura waqt shuru se hi tha, aaj bhi tha. Mishra ne Lee ko daboj liya

(Well he was out of luck from the begining and today also same, Mishra has swallowed Lee)

Johnson - Yey saab to Ponting se acche batting karte hai, Ponting ne to sirf 8kiya isne to 11 runs karke dikhaya .

( This guy is better than Ponting, Ponting could only managed 8 runs but this one has scored 11 runs )

How disgusting a news channel can be :mad: Totally disgusting

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
lmfao at that above post. How much some people can get caught up in victory is amazing. That Indian news channel is so stupid its laughable. What dickheads! rofl.

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
So Ponting scores 123 and 80 odd and that is 8 runs. Dravid barely scored a run during the series but they didn't mention anything of that.

KBC

Panel of Selectors
lmfao at that above post. How much some people can get caught up in victory is amazing. That Indian news channel is so stupid its laughable. What dickheads! rofl.

Some private channels are like that. You cannot make your view by seeing or listening to what only one channel makes news about, There are government channels which are pure relaxation like DD, etc;

You might not know our media, but so, These are the idiot channels are: Headlines today, IBN7, Star news, etc; (Hindi) {OH MAN! THIS IS PURE CRAP!!!!} I'd like to take my boots off and slam at them, but only knowing that i'll damage my TV.

Especially the star news, For example, If a person sneezes off, they create so much hype that they send their correspondents to the person and Create Hype AS IF THERE ARE NEW DISEASES AND THE WORLD'S ENDING!!!!

when they show videos, they put SCARY TEXT And Many Ferocious voice artists speak in so creepy manner to create an exclamation among the viewers, which is SO Disgusting and FAILS Everytime.

Yeah, They're fools too. Some clever guy sent a video someday that they captured a U.F.O. And SN brought a scientist at work for that! And later, you know what, It turned out to be a Mobile camera shaking off the focus on the moon. Just like you do light textures.

Coming to cricket! MAN, there are only 4-8 channels in india which are so irritating and crap, and they Bring our country's respect for media in the world in shame. Other channels are quite perfect, less crap, PURE INFORMATION.

KBChandraw added 5 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

The media and news channel of India are wosrt object and their men are horrible creatures. It was so annoying the commnets they were making against tour players.

Comments were.

How disgusting a news channel can be :mad: Totally disgusting

Well, it's not the thing that they do with the Australians, When the WC 2007 was over, have you seen that? So worse. They've cut out indian players' faces and morphed their faces with some farmers, milk man, etc;

They're still uploaded in the internet by the channel's sites.. Such a shame the media is in the country.

Last edited:

Funknath

Panel of Selectors
Greg Thanks a lot dear coach, there's a good article in our local newspaper and a bit humorous one on Greg his tips etc. ;)
well deserved win for the Indians looking forward to Dravid in England series (ODI & TEST) :cool:

Chetan,Dravid won't be pick for the ODI :noway he will be picked for the Test but will not score as he used to.Looked at his form. He hasn't scored many runs for the last 10 test matches as far as i know only 1 half century!!

Users who are viewing this thread