Bangladesh - Being Bangladesh!

Varun

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I won't say the Bangladesh as contenders for the world cup, but creating upsets should be their job.
They can pose a serious threat to New Zealand and West Indies and can reach the quarterfinals, albeit with a struggle, but it's a tough road for them. They aren't a team like Australia, India or Sri Lanka who everybody can call the favorites to win the cup, but I hope they do something positively memorable for Bangladesh cricket this season.

used2bcool

Club Captain
Profile Flag
India
I got nervous when I saw that we drew Bangladesh in the first game. We are notoriously horrendous starters, and they're coming off a great high having blanked New Zealand. Put that into the equation and the game at Mirpur starts to look a far cry from the cakewalk it was supposed to be.

I think we need to update our image of Bangladesh. They're not a "minnow" nation anymore. I for one love their cricket. I only hope they find their form *after* the first game.

Are they a contender? Maybe not, but that's the beauty of the 3-game knockout format that we have here. Get to the quarters, and then it's just a matter of three good days. Bangladesh are well capable of having 3 good days. Their test is the group stages, and they might find it difficult to come out of this group - but they should go into every game thinking they can win. Trust me, they can.

From India's point of view, we need to make sure that no one's forgotten about the horrible loss from 2007 and be in ruthless revenge mode. Play angry. Aim to crush them. If we go in underestimating them, then we'd have learned nothing from our mistakes 4 years ago and will be in for a rude awakening.

Afridi Akhtar

Club Cricketer
I got nervous when I saw that we drew Bangladesh in the first game. We are notoriously horrendous starters, and they're coming off a great high having blanked New Zealand. Put that into the equation and the game at Mirpur starts to look a far cry from the cakewalk it was supposed to be.

I think we need to update our image of Bangladesh. They're not a "minnow" nation anymore. I for one love their cricket. I only hope they find their form *after* the first game.

Are they a contender? Maybe not, but that's the beauty of the 3-game knockout format that we have here. Get to the quarters, and then it's just a matter of three good days. Bangladesh are well capable of having 3 good days. Their test is the group stages, and they might find it difficult to come out of this group - but they should go into every game thinking they can win. Trust me, they can.

From India's point of view, we need to make sure that no one's forgotten about the horrible loss from 2007 and be in ruthless revenge mode. Play angry. Aim to crush them. If we go in underestimating them, then we'd have learned nothing from our mistakes 4 years ago and will be in for a rude awakening.

I would like to say that..nothing happens the same everytime....

Owzat

International Coach
I don't go deep into statistics, they can be misleading.

I come to expect that kind of mentality from people who don't like facts or what stats show. If they accepted the value of stats then it would contradict what they like to believe so it is easier to dismiss stats than have them prove people talk rubbish!

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
I come to expect that kind of mentality from people who don't like facts or what stats show.
Facts are very different. Stats are highly over rated. They cannot put forward the talent/potential a team or an individual has.

Owzat

International Coach
Facts are very different. Stats are highly over rated. They cannot put forward the talent/potential a team or an individual has.

But then if someone is early in their career that can be pointed out. Stats are actually very under rated because a lot of people don't like what they show.

Or perhaps you think the talent of someone like Sehwag isn't represented by stats? It can be a matter of misusing stats, not necessarily the stats themselves.

To be fair I'm in no way surprised a Bangladesh fan doesn't like stats :D

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
It is not about being a Bangladesh fan. By just stats alone we cannot determine how good one is. And, this is Cricket. You never know when the fortunes turn.

AngryPixel

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
But stats can give a indication. Bond had a bowling avg of 19 in ODI. Now if you see Nehra who has avg around 30, you would expect a average medium fast bowler. And that is what he is. Whereas higher bowling avg indicates a very good bowler.
Its true that stats can be misleading but that is the case when a player is young. When a player has played about 100+ games and still got a poor avg then either he's just avg and you had way too much expectations or he's a talented play who's IQ is equivalent of goldfish. He's simply wasted his talent and you can do nothing about that.(Example: Afridi,Agarkar) :p

----------

Owzat is right, stats can be misleading if you misuse them by taking only certain performances in considerations. If you take complete stats they represent how many times a player has performed for the team and that is whats important. You got amazing talent but you are getting out in 10s or 20s then you are not helping the cause of the team. We dont need players like that. Whereas players like Dhoni/Chanderpaul have minimal natural talent, but they have performed which is indicated by their avg. Now tell me, would you have guessed that Dhoni would be such a important player just by looking at the way he bats. You would have wrote him of as a slogger.

Sagacious

Club Cricketer
This performance is an indication of things to come for BD in this WC.

Kabooka

International Cricketer
Everybody is taking BD more and more seriously now, so it will be much more difficult for BD to repeat the upsets they caused in the past. Specially India, Pakistan and Aussies would love avenge their defeats from the past. they are not gonna make the mistake of taking BD lightly and will take on them like a strong team. It will be a real test for BD now.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
90 runs drubbing should be an eye opener for anyone who seriously thinks BD are contenders.

Kabooka

International Cricketer
90 runs drubbing should be an eye opener for anyone who seriously thinks BD are contenders.

Its not that they are contenders or anything , its just that no big team wants to be upset by BD (who are a reasonable team in their own right).

Users who are viewing this thread