cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Experiencing same thing I'll try list the issues I've noticed so far

-cover drives almost all going to extra cover
-square cut doesn't exist, if it does its an anomaly
-playing the ball square also doesn't exist although it does go square sometimes you get cover drive animation and ball always going to point
-offside shots seem weak in general or just badly implemented well timed suffering from EA Cricket syndrome
-cover drive animation is also coming out for cut shots at times
-Bowled to AI offside only and they can't find the gaps either

The only way to sometimes get runs is trigger shots, batting isn't fun at all.

@cricket_online shall I buy C19?

IMO at the moment Cricket 19 definitely is a better game as far as batting experience is concerned and as you can see from my experience looking at the wagon wheels I posted in the OP.

But I would hold off for a few more weeks to see how Cricket 21 evolves. Big Ant is obviously trying to sort it out and you may want to see how things end up. But if they don't end up fixing batting then by all means go for Cricket 19. At the moment I've a very different experience from others and could be due to the fact I'm on PS4 and still stuck with patch version 1.02 as I've mentioned in the following post...

So far nobody has responded to the version info but it says a lot about Big Ant that I don't even know whether the version I'm playing is the version I'm supposed to have.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
@cricket_online well I'm on PC and I think on latest patch but I've had same experience and so have others so I know it's not a weird case. The animation and shot varience is broken

I guess "wait and watch" is the way to go but yeah this discrepancy in batting experience across users in weird. Maybe it's a disconnect between folks who are hard core batting fans - at least I am - and others who either focus on bowling or are not too fussed about batting that much. Or it's just that we're playing different versions of the game, and we drew short straw.

sonimrajk

County Cricketer
IMO at the moment Cricket 19 definitely is a better game as far as batting experience is concerned and as you can see from my experience looking at the wagon wheels I posted in the OP.

But I would hold off for a few more weeks to see how Cricket 21 evolves. Big Ant is obviously trying to sort it out and you may want to see how things end up. But if they don't end up fixing batting then by all means go for Cricket 19. At the moment I've a very different experience from others and could be due to the fact I'm on PS4 and still stuck with patch version 1.02 as I've mentioned in the following post...

So far nobody has responded to the version info but it says a lot about Big Ant that I don't even know whether the version I'm playing is the version I'm supposed to have.
This is what Ross posted yesterday. I think you are having latest version if you live in US.
Check the version number in credits under game settings.

Screenshot_20211207-131944_Twitter.jpg

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
This is what Ross posted yesterday. I think you are having latest version if you live in US.
Check the version number in credits under game settings.

View attachment 258978

Thanks for the info! I'm seeing 'vLocal' in credits and that's what was confusing me as I've never seen a version number other than a random string of numbers (e.g., 1.0.0.1.0.2 etc.)

But the issue still remains - batting through the off side is not a good experience and I still can't play the shots others are able to pull off against pacers. And it's not as if I'm new to the series - have played every Big Ant game starting DBC 14. I've also tried lowering down the difficulty level to Easy and still the problem exists. Currently am on Medium and can time the shots well but can only hit shots in a few select directions. Plus as others have mentioned, the off side shots are under-powered compared to the leg side ones.

sonimrajk

County Cricketer
Thanks for the info! I'm seeing 'vLocal' in credits and that's what was confusing me as I've never seen a version number other than a random string of numbers (e.g., 1.0.0.1.0.2 etc.)

But the issue still remains - batting through the off side is not a good experience and I still can't play the shots others are able to pull off against pacers. And it's not as if I'm new to the series - have played every Big Ant game starting DBC 14. I've also tried lowering down the difficulty level to Easy and still the problem exists. Currently am on Medium and can time the shots well but can only hit shots in a few select directions. Plus as others have mentioned, the off side shots are under-powered compared to the leg side ones.
You may get a ps4 update today or tomorrow. Can you disable auto update and check if you are getting the new updates. If you get a new update tomorrow and if you still have this issue then they definetly did not fix the issue.

I see this issue on my xbox (without patches) especially in ODIs. I also see the issue in tests as well but we may not notice much as we dont need to score runs quickly in tests. I did not yet tested t20s. Are you also seeing the issue in T20s? Because many active players in the forum are playing mostly tests and t20s and they may not notice it if shots are working fine in t20s.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
You may get a ps4 update today or tomorrow. Can you disable auto update and check if you are getting the new updates. If you get a new update tomorrow and if you still have this issue then they definetly did not fix the issue.

I see this issue on my xbox (without patches) especially in ODIs. I also see the issue in tests as well but we may not notice much as we dont need to score runs quickly in tests. I did not yet tested t20s. Are you also seeing the issue in T20s? Because many active players in the forum are playing mostly tests and t20s and they may not notice it if shots are working fine in t20s.

I seem to be getting patches as I get notifications when a new patch is downloaded and/or installed - at least I seem to be getting PS4 system patches and patches for other games. Plus I was able to connect to online community and that should mean I've the latest version else I wouldn't have been allowed to connect online. I haven't played T20 yet as mostly focused on Tests and Odis. But will give T20s a go as well to check.

zimrahil

Retired Administrator
PlanetCricket Award Winner
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Surely it must your console version and patch build you are using that is the issue ?

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Surely it must your console version and patch build you are using that is the issue ?

I'm hoping so Zim. It's been a challenge with so many console versions and patches floating around. I'll keep a look out for the latest patch on PS4 and see if I get a different batting experience. At the moment the arc between Cover fielder and Point region is still inaccessible to me against pacers unless I use aggressive shots with L2/R2 modifiers/triggers, and I struggle to use modifiers without premeditating.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Ok, I finally got the latest patch (1.03) on PS4 in North America and spent some time playing the game. Here are my observations on batting and for more detailed information regarding the patch, please see the post at the following link...

The bad news is batting is "random", and that's the best way to put it, and here're some points regarding the same...
1. Leg side shots are much more powerful and easy to play compared to off side shots. And pulling the ball for a 4 is a pretty easy task.
2. Off side shots are under-powered compared to leg side shots and unfortunately Big Ant has never been able to nail the balance. If they had taken Cricket 19 batting through the off side, and added leg side shots from Cricket 22, we would've had a pretty good batting experience.
3. Cover drives are still broken. When you hit shots through the off side against pacers, it goes to a few select areas - Cover fielder, Extra cover (where AI never puts a fielder), and Point.
4. I was able to finally play a couple of shots against pacers through the gap between Cover and Point. What I found was the shot triggers randomly when the ball is way outside off and the RS is pushed at 3'o clock (batting far camera) or 9'o clock (broadcast cam). Majority of shots still go to Cover and Point region when the RS is at 3'o clock but if the line is wide enough the ball races through the gap between Cover and Point.
5. Continuing the theme from earlier point, I took the stance outside leg - essentially batsman standing nearl 5th or 6th stump on the leg side. I saw that I was able to hit the gap between Cover and Point more regularly thus proving that the way to hit that specific gap was dependent on the line, i.e. way wide off the stump which is not practical in real life.
6. I didn't face the same challenge with spinners with me able to hit the ball anywhere properly on the off side. Thus the issue is limited to facing pacers, which is similar to not able to play a forward defensive shot against pacers on the off side.

P.S: I played standard shots without using any triggers/modifiers (L2/R2).

Overall, folks who're not hung up on batting and don't really care how they score runs and are fine with randomness while batting will find the game fun to play. But if you're looking for a batting simulator, and play cricket games for batting, you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

Punk_Sk8r

National Board President
So Ross has said they will prioritise stuff especially if there is a video to go with it. I think we who care about this should make combined effort and follow some criteria for the recording, gameplay & ending process. Below I've listed a general outline of what we may need to do feel free to add suggestions and doesn't have to be by the dot just try what you can

TOOLS
-Clear video footage
-Input detector so they can see where you're actually aiming and where the ball is going
-Voice recording if you wish to narrate over it to give them explanations

GENERAL GAMEPLAY GUIDELINE
-Fill the bowling team with right hand bowlers and user controlled batsmen with all right handers
-Play cuts and drives and I think front foot straight drives and on drives need to be addressed too but we can discuss if this should be in our videos
-NO trigger shots please
-Suggest playing on medium difficulty

THINGS TO SPECIFY
We must get the following points across to BA
-Cover shots are weak and only go to limited direction regardless of stick position
-All offside shots are weak for the most part and cover drive animation is coming for square cuts and late cuts
-Some animation/shot detection is way off, example being to get a front foot cut you have to be standing at 5th/6th stump, this is unrealistic (Strauss, Cook come to mind cutting close to the body)
-We don't think animation should be predicted by this type of criteria, if I play a front foot cut to a straight ball the front foot cut shot should be played not a cover drive and this is without shot replacement on

Sorry if its a bit convoluted but you can get these points across in the video and tie them in via voice/text etc however you please. I know I'm missing a lot but feel free like I said to input. Hopefully I can get my video up by tonight. Also I think this issue exists with legside too, the legside shots go to same spot everytime just with more power...

Nithin Antony

County Cricketer
TPCL Titans
So Ross has said they will prioritise stuff especially if there is a video to go with it. I think we who care about this should make combined effort and follow some criteria for the recording, gameplay & ending process. Below I've listed a general outline of what we may need to do feel free to add suggestions and doesn't have to be by the dot just try what you can

TOOLS
-Clear video footage
-Input detector so they can see where you're actually aiming and where the ball is going
-Voice recording if you wish to narrate over it to give them explanations

GENERAL GAMEPLAY GUIDELINE
-Fill the bowling team with right hand bowlers and user controlled batsmen with all right handers
-Play cuts and drives and I think front foot straight drives and on drives need to be addressed too but we can discuss if this should be in our videos
-NO trigger shots please
-Suggest playing on medium difficulty

THINGS TO SPECIFY
We must get the following points across to BA
-Cover shots are weak and only go to limited direction regardless of stick position
-All offside shots are weak for the most part and cover drive animation is coming for square cuts and late cuts
-Some animation/shot detection is way off, example being to get a front foot cut you have to be standing at 5th/6th stump, this is unrealistic (Strauss, Cook come to mind cutting close to the body)
-We don't think animation should be predicted by this type of criteria, if I play a front foot cut to a straight ball the front foot cut shot should be played not a cover drive and this is without shot replacement on

Sorry if its a bit convoluted but you can get these points across in the video and tie them in via voice/text etc however you please. I know I'm missing a lot but feel free like I said to input. Hopefully I can get my video up by tonight. Also I think this issue exists with legside too, the legside shots go to same spot everytime just with more power...
I am on with this, I will be posting issues I've felt so far with videos. If all of us keep doing this, they will have to fix it for the next patch or the one after that.

Users who are viewing this thread