Best batsman today ?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
For me, the best batsman will always be Sachin Tendulkar, as he has been the one to make me love this game, and produces shots that others would only think of playing in their dreams.
Be it today, yesterday, or tomorrow, there is no better batsman then Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar in my eyes.

You mean even Bradman? :rolleyes:

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Forget Hussey, in the same period M.Yousuf must be averaging over 100.
It's true, he is doing well, averaging 78 in the last 2 and a bit years. However, I have to say, almost every time Yousuf gets a century, someone else scores more runs or just plays a more spectacular innings. On a given day, he doesn't seem as remarkable as some of his team mates or opponents, but over time I guess his consistency is incredible. Still, it's a shame that it's been wasted on so many unsporting pitches, resulting in a lot of draws.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
And all the talk about being openor or not is bull****. Infact openors have advntage that all the field is up and they acn score quickly just is what is done by Hayden. Even sehwag is averaging above 50 as an openor. Does that make him best batsmen?
What a rubbish post. The field is normally up to every new batsman that comes out (bar the middle-order batsman who come in when it's 300/1), the difference is when the field is up to the opening batsman, the bowlers are much more fresh and the ball is swinging and cutting around and the slightest error on a shot as an opener can cost you your wicket.

Sehwag is a slogger and has batted his career on subcontient on slow subcontient tracks which offers hardly anything for any of the pace bowlers.

While Hayden is all class who has the ability to slog if required. As I said in earlier posts, the new ball usually does something in Australia and is often difficult to for the openers to account. You would've even seen him from the MCG test how difficult it is for the Opening Batsman. The ball & pitch seem to flatten out after the 1st 20 overs though.

Sehwag's also played 1/2 the ammount of games that Hayden has.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner

One thing to note is, Bradman played at a time when batting was way lot tougher than what it has been from 1989 till now. Its not wise comparing the two generations, but when forced to, I would vote for Bradman even though I havent watched a single innings of his.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Well to me its not difficult to determine that Bradman is easily better than Tendulkar. Bradman averaged 99.96 on some horrible pitches and against some very good bowlers. Tendulkar has played in an era when batting is a lot easier. He is one of the best don't get me wrong but no way in hell is he better that Bradman. Nobody is.

tech.007

Club Cricketer
for me there is a list..........

sachin
Adam Gilchrist
b.lara
s.jayasuriya

Adarsh

Panel of Selectors
What a rubbish post. The field is normally up to every new batsman that comes out (bar the middle-order batsman who come in when it's 300/1), the difference is when the field is up to the opening batsman, the bowlers are much more fresh and the ball is swinging and cutting around and the slightest error on a shot as an opener can cost you your wicket.

Sehwag is a slogger and has batted his career on subcontient on slow subcontient tracks which offers hardly anything for any of the pace bowlers.

While Hayden is all class who has the ability to slog if required. As I said in earlier posts, the new ball usually does something in Australia and is often difficult to for the openers to account. You would've even seen him from the MCG test how difficult it is for the Opening Batsman. The ball & pitch seem to flatten out after the 1st 20 overs though.

Sehwag's also played 1/2 the ammount of games that Hayden has.
HAHAHAHA. Seriously, do your research. Sehwag's a proven Test match opener. He's got hundreds - very big hundreds - all over the world. England, South Africa, Australia, West Indies, Pakistan and India. To say he's just made runs on the subcontinent is ignorant.

His overseas average is 47.41. Hayden's overseas average is 42.5. I'm not saying Sehwag is better than Hayden, but to dismiss Sehwag as a slogger who's uncapable of making big runs is foolish.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
@aussie_ben91, I agree and disagree. Opening is the toughest place in the order in a Test match to score runs besides 10 and 11. The mixture of early morning moisture, the new ball and umbrella fields makes the slightest mistake often fatal to your wicket. The bowler often does not know which way it is swinging and so it is often guesswork for the batsman to work out the same.

You discredit Sehwag as a slogger who dominated on subcontinental tracks but in his prime, he was so much more. He had the hand eye coordination to middle the swinging, length delivery. He also had the mid delivery adjustment which created the infamous uppercut shot to a ball which rises above his expectations. An average of 54.70 in 10 innings in Australia shows that he did not only thrive on flat tracks. His main weakness throughout his career was lateral movement off the pitch, something which even the quickest reflex cannot adjust to and only a suitable technique would do. This accounts for his poor record in New Zealand, England and South Africa.

Well to me its not difficult to determine that Bradman is easily better than Tendulkar. Bradman averaged 99.96 on some horrible pitches and against some very good bowlers. Tendulkar has played in an era when batting is a lot easier. He is one of the best don't get me wrong but no way in hell is he better that Bradman. Nobody is.

Tendulkar is the all time best ODI batsman in my opinion, but Bradman owns Tests without a doubt.

But that is all off on a tangent.

Last edited:

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
HAHAHAHA. Seriously, do your research. Sehwag's a proven Test match opener. He's got hundreds - very big hundreds - all over the world. England, South Africa, Australia, West Indies, Pakistan and India. To say he's just made runs on the subcontinent is ignorant.

His overseas average is 47.41. Hayden's overseas average is 42.5. I'm not saying Sehwag is better than Hayden, but to dismiss Sehwag as a slogger who's uncapable of making big runs is foolish.
And typcially he couldn't keep up with it. Much like Graeme Smith whose quite similar to Sehwag, except Smith had the captaincy which kept him in the side. Both used to average well over 50 in Tests but got found out, much like Hayden has but he found a way of getting around it. Get Sehwag to play as many Tests as Hayden has and see what his average overseas is because after 52 tests (the same ammount as Sehwag has played), Hayden averaged well over 50 overseas.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...4;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

And at what stage did I say his uncapable of making big runs? I was merely replying to someone who was mockingly saying by my logic that Sehwag's the 2nd best batsman. :rolleyes:

.Mob

International Coach
He's not a slogger, no way. He plays some exquisite shots when he gets going without having to go for a big swing at all.

Users who are viewing this thread