Best Commentator

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I hate him, IMO he was Biest against England,
say what a bowler Warne was every time he took a wicket and how good Australia were all the time.
He was really annoying

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Just because he wasn't biased against Australia is no reason to hate him. End of the day he is a cricket lover, as close to a neutral as you can get. Warne is a quality bowler, and Australia are a good team, so he wasn't wrong either.

Besides he couldn't afford to be too anti-Australia as he does a lot of work for them in our off-season.

I do like Boycott, Nasser, Nicholas, and to be honest most of the C4 team. Bumbles one of my favourite commentators, and was great back in the studio. Also love Benaud and Holdings voices.

Glad someone else thought that Giles and Willis were a dreadful pairing. If it's possible Giles was even worse than Willis because he always had to give a watered down opinion as he does not want to jeopardise getting his England place back with some ill placed criticism. He's hardly going to say, "Yes Geraint Jones is a great character in the dressing room, but god I wish he could catch and stump. People say I don't get enough wickets, just think how many I could have by now if the bugger could actually do his job!" :p

Blaze_UK

School Cricketer
puddleduck said:
Glad someone else thought that Giles and Willis were a dreadful pairing. If it's possible Giles was even worse than Willis because he always had to give a watered down opinion as he does not want to jeopardise getting his England place back with some ill placed criticism. He's hardly going to say, "Yes Geraint Jones is a great character in the dressing room, but god I wish he could catch and stump. People say I don't get enough wickets, just think how many I could have by now if the bugger could actually do his job!" :p

True. Also, it was interesting to see how he reacted to Panesar, who might quite possibly become the first person to challenge him for his place in years. He was caught between reluctance to extoll his virtues as a spinner, and sounding disingenuous, and criticising his weaker areas.

I agree completely with what you say about Benaud and Holdings' voices; the timbre and pentameter of their voices just seem to compliment the game of test cricket absolutely perfectly.

cricketgirl

School Cricketer
Tony Grieg would have to be the worst commentator going around a total spanner.

I am hoping south africa keep him coz we do not want him back. His behaviour is over the top.

dtrain

Club Cricketer
RoboRocks said:
I hate him, IMO he was Biest against England,
say what a bowler Warne was every time he took a wicket and how good Australia were all the time.
He was really annoying

Stating facts is not being biased.

arghasen

Club Cricketer
I dont know, I kinda like Tony Greig's commentary. He brings a certain excitement to the game. You might disagree.

yashved

School Cricketer
According to me,
Best four would be:
1) Geoffrey Boycott
2) Tony Grieg
3) Sunil Gavaskar
4) Harsha Bhogle

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I have already given my views on the best.
However here's the worst of them all:

Stutter Ali Khan from Bangladesh.
or rather Athar.
The fella seems to think that Duckworht-Lewis is applicable in Test matches as well.

irottev

School Cricketer
The South African commentary team is a joke. Definatly the worst I have ever heard. 1 is a woman and 1 is from Zimbabwe. 2 problems already.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
usy said:
hmm... Ramiz Raja will be Pakistan's Greatest Commentator ?
their only commentator. Aamir Sohail is very boring, and Waqar to some extnet is good enough.
Ramiz tends to be biased sometimes but over all, he's a good commentator from the subcontinent.

Harsha Bhogle was another one, i don't know why he isn't commentating these days. The last i heard from him is during the 2003-04 India's tour of Aus.

Current Indian commentators (Arun, Sri, Laxman) are no good. Manjrekar is the only current commentator who has a name for himself

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
cricket_lover said:
Harsha Bhogle was another one, i don't know why he isn't commentating these days. The last i heard from him is during the 2003-04 India's tour of Aus.

He is commentating.He is with ESPN-STAR Sports.The reason for him to not be among Indian commentators is because the BCCI has not given rights to ESS.
cricket_lover said:
Current Indian commentators (Arun, Sri, Laxman) are no good. Manjrekar is the only current commentator who has a name for himself
Well to be frank they have no sense of whats going on.They'll talk utter rubbish and crap.Also they raise their voices mystically to make you feel as if some alien is commentating.
Manjrekar is pretty good.Better than the current lot.

cricket_lover

International Cricketer
iceman_waugh said:
Well to be frank they have no sense of whats going on.They'll talk utter rubbish and crap.Also they raise their voices mystically to make you feel as if some alien is commentating.
Manjrekar is pretty good.Better than the current lot.
lol, you're dead right! Siva's exxaggerated style is very funny, and very irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread