Best Music of the 21st Century

S

Satan666

You call it entertaining, I call it idiotic.

He is a good producer, no doubt, but not even close to a top 10 of all-time IMO.

Besides that he writes shallow lyrics and his flow is terrible.

Not sure why 50 Cent is in this thread either. As a hip-hop artist he is pretty bad himself as well and only has a few good songs to his name.

A reminder that this thread is the best in music so far for the 21st century, not of all time!

Got that right baby boy, 50 Cents is there cuz he 'has a few good songs to his name'', for the 21st century!

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
This is how the list goes for me.

1. In the end- Linkin Park.
For me this song is the best of 21st century. The lyrics are so good you can't help but relate with it.

2. Lose Yourself - Eminem
One of Eminem's best ever.

3. Cleaning out my Closet- Eminem
This guy is a gem. Love it.

4. Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
This American punk rock band is too good. Its the best rock band with Linkin Park in my opinion.

5. Escape - Enrique Iglesias
This soft rock is too good. Maybe better than to be at 5th position of the 21st century's best songs list.

6. Addicted - Enrique Iglesias
Love how he gets on the louder/higher notes after starting slow and low. It makes the song all the more better.

7. Its my life - Bon Jovi
Rock again. I rate it to be one of the best ever songs from Bon Jovi.

8. Bring Me to Life - Evanescence
Amazing, amazing song. Gets better everytime you listen to it.

9. Numb - Linkin Park
Loads of people rate it as the best song by Linkin Park and I place it just behind In the end. Excellent music.

10. You Rock My World - Michael Jackson
Remembering MJ. What a great treasure for music industry he was! This song never gets too old for me.

Okay, now let me come to the thread topic. You may call me an oldie but for me this are the top 5 music/bands/singers of the 21st century.

1. Eminem

2. Linkin Park

3. Green Day

4. Enrique Iglesias

5. Bruno Mars/Michael Jackson

Last edited:
S

Satan666

^^^^Good list there Marlon but according to Icon's post 'the 10 best musicians of the 21st century'', NOT the top 10 best songs of the 21st century.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Producing =/= music. And I couldn't ever fathom how Gold Digger was remotely good. Agreed with thedon, his music is shallow.

Where's Adele and Rihanna? :rolleyes

Auwais

International Coach
Kanye's best production work came in the mid-90's for the likes of Nas, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Jay-Z etc.

Auwais

International Coach
Here are some of my favourite albums from the '00s:

Blu and Exile - Below The Heavens
blu-exile-below-the-heavens.jpg

Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Blackalicious_Album_Blazing_Arrow.jpeg

Outkast - Stankonia
OutKast_-_Stankonia.JPG

The Roots - Phrenology
PhrenologyMediumRes.jpg

Non Phixion - The Future Is Now
The+Future+is+Now.jpg

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt. II
220px-Raekwon-OnlyBuilt4CubanLinxIICover.jpg

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
220px-GhostfaceKillahSupremeClientele.jpg

Dr. Pepper

Chairman of Selectors
Producing =/= music. And I couldn't ever fathom how Gold Digger was remotely good. Agreed with thedon, his music is shallow.

Where's Adele and Rihanna? :rolleyes
Production is an essential part of the music.

lol @ basing judgement on an artist on one song. Gold Digger was a radio song - it was catchy as hell and brought people in for the rest of the album. If you give Late Registration a chance you'd realise that it didn't represent the album as a whole. Through the Wire, We Don't Care, Hey Mama, Runaway, Diamond from Sierra Leone are just a few examples of socially conscious songs by Kanye. The entirety of MBDTF is an introspective look at his own life, his fame and his egotism. Shallow is an ignorant claim tbh.

Kanye's best production work came in the mid-90's for the likes of Nas, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Jay-Z etc.
Be, The Black Album and Tha Carter III were all from this century and I'd say those are three of the best hip hop albums of the modern era. Not to mention the production on his own albums. MBDTF has probably the best production ever for a hip hop album.

These would be my top 10 albums (in no particular order):

Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Kanye West - MBDTF
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
J Dilla - Donuts
Burial - Untrue
Sigur Ros - ( )
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

The Avalanches narrowly miss out.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
A reminder that this thread is the best in music so far for the 21st century, not of all time!

Got that right baby boy, 50 Cents is there cuz he 'has a few good songs to his name'', for the 21st century!

I was replying to Dr. Pepper who said he was one of the best producers of all time.

50 Cent is a terrible rapper and in terms of hits he can't touch most pop artists.

----------

Good list Auwais, but Kendrick's good kid, m.A.A.d city has to be in there.

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
JT's Future Sex/Love Sounds is much better than his 20/20 Experience IMO.

Mirrors has nothing on some of the singles he released from that album. You guys are probably not old enough to have heard that stuff.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
4. Lupe Fiasco

Best Album: Food & Liquor
Best Song: The Show Goes On

Idk how you can say The Show Goes On is his best song. Agree with Lupe though, my favourite rapper alongside Eminem. His lyrics are the best by a long way and I don't think anyone can argue with that. But yes, quite underrated as a rapper.

Anyway, I agree with Eminem, Lupe and The Killers. Coldplay also, but I wouldn't put him as 2nd.

Linkin Park should be in the top 10 even after really being disappointing with his last couple of albums. And I'd put Rise Against up there as well.

My list would be much more varied than normal though as I prefer to like music that not every single person in the world listens to.

Varun

ICC Board Member
Linkin Park should be in the top 10 even after really being disappointing with his last couple of albums. And I'd put Rise Against up there as well.

No....once you explore rock, alternative rock especially, in depth it's easy to realize Linkin Park just employ the formulaic, repetitive style of rock. Like Nickleback. Maybe people connect to them (I didn't though, just found them catchy), but their music hasn't the depth Coldplay, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, or even Muse would have. See? I just listed 4 bands which are surefire better than them. Sorry, Linkin Park is overrated. By teenagers (meh, generalization) who haven't been exposed to much music except them.

----------

Add Incubus to that, and we have five bands better than Linkin Park already. And that's just rock/alternative rock. We haven't even explored other genres, which would definitely yield more brilliant music. Sigur Ros is amazing too.

Otherwise, it's just perspective and opinion. Can't argue with that. *shrugs*

Users who are viewing this thread