Bowling Guide!

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Its the fact that your confidence or the batsman confidence has nothing to do with the way dismissals are happening. The fact that their weakness shown by R3 has nothing to do with it. More over if you bowling to a field set for the batsman, that has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, if all these things are not working, isnt getting wickets just a random chance? How about the shots they get away with? The random slog at will, I could have the heaviest point, cover and third man regions, he will find a boundary if he wants.
I'm pretty proud of the field I've set tbh. I try to bowl mostly good length with the odd full ball, as a spinner, so I keep a sweeper at deep extra cover, deep forward midwicket, and a square fine leg. So any good shot off a poor delivery - either in the pads or wide outside off - has protecting to save the four. I have mid off and mid on in place too, so incase they time the full ball well, i have protection for the shot too. But often they don't, since it's unexpected.

And then I have a man at slip, who has caught a few off the reverse sweep in rookie mode but not done anything yet in Pro, silly mid off and short leg. The last two have taken many a blow on the body but have stopped the ball.

The only boundaries they have found off me are a lofted shot down the ground, and a pick up flick shot that found the gap between the two legside sweepers. Rest have been dots or ones, and I've beat the bat or hit the pads quite often. Giving them nothing to cut or pull either, just building pressure. Nothing has gone through third man either.

I got edges in rookie mode, but not yet on Pro, although it's still early days.

I don't bowl the same ball more than twice in a row. Maybe that's your problem?

Action22

School Cricketer
The most common shots Ive seen for my poor deliveries per se were in the fine leg/long leg region or the Long on/off regions. After covering the deep extra cover and deep midwicket that is.

Once I have him trapped and ready to pounce, he gets on one knee and hits it by long stop right above the keepers head.

I dont try the same delivery but I have varied my lengths a lot more. The most annoying aspect remains, the catches off sweep shots falling short of short fine leg, short backward square leg over and over and over

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Its the fact that your confidence or the batsman confidence has nothing to do with the way dismissals are happening. The fact that their weakness shown by R3 has nothing to do with it. More over if you bowling to a field set for the batsman, that has nothing to do with it.

Lastly, if all these things are not working, isnt getting wickets just a random chance? How about the shots they get away with? The random slog at will, I could have the heaviest point, cover and third man regions, he will find a boundary if he wants.

On the contrary, I have far more success against batsmen fresh to the crease that I do against batsmen at 65no and in the midst of building a century. This suggests to me that confidence is working fine.

As for weaknsses. Well it doesn't mean that they will get out the moment you bowl such a delivery, however it does mean that they are weaker that say, a player whose strength is in that area. As part of a balanced and varied gameplan, you can disrupt their flow with an occasional ball exploiting that weakness. If a batsman is weak on straight bat, it could just mean that he tries too often for his skill in that area. He's going to get away with it a few times, but set the field accordingly and bowl to your field placements.

Action22

School Cricketer
On the contrary, I have far more success against batsmen fresh to the crease that I do against batsmen at 65no and in the midst of building a century. This suggests to me that confidence is working fine.

As for weaknsses. Well it doesn't mean that they will get out the moment you bowl such a delivery, however it does mean that they are weaker that say, a player whose strength is in that area. As part of a balanced and varied gameplan, you can disrupt their flow with an occasional ball exploiting that weakness. If a batsman is weak on straight bat, it could just mean that he tries too often for his skill in that area. He's going to get away with it a few times, but set the field accordingly and bowl to your field placements.

So if I am a fast bowler, I see that a batsman is new, his weakness is front foot such as A Cook, I cant get him out straight up on the wickets. How is his weakness front foot then?

Next up, theres very few edges that fly off full length. I am yet to see a catch by the cover fielder, it either goes to point or falls short of mid off.

The most success rate Ive had and Ive seen this on mostly every occassion ive played, if there is a 100 run partnership while simulation, I stop and pick a spinner and instantly get a wicket. No field changes, no plans just pure luck

To add on about confidence, I see AI playing confident and risky strokes despite having no confidence in his meter. These are the only things to aid the bowler and are pretty futile

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The 'weakness' is simply the stat with the lowest amount of skill points - it could be a negligible difference.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
To add on about confidence, I see AI playing confident and risky strokes despite having no confidence in his meter. These are the only things to aid the bowler and are pretty futile

You answered it yourself. They took a risk, and got the reward.

Let's spin this around a bit and let me ask you a couple of questions.

How many times have you seen batsmen hit boundaries at the start of their innings in real life? How do you suppose this is possible since they haven't played themselves in yet?

Secondly. How many times have you seen bowling teams be absolutely punished for hours by a batting pair without a wicket to the point where the bowlers are mentally and physically exhausted? Then all of a sudden they get the breakthrough and they are on fire again. How do you suppose that is?

I suspect you will disagree for the sake of disagreement, but the answer is tactical. The first to crack loses their stake in the gamble.

Action22

School Cricketer
How many times have you seen batsmen hit boundaries at the start of their innings in real life? How do you suppose this is possible since they haven't played themselves in yet?

Secondly. How many times have you seen bowling teams be absolutely punished for hours by a batting pair without a wicket to the point where the bowlers are mentally and physically exhausted? Then all of a sudden they get the breakthrough and they are on fire again. How do you suppose that is?

I suspect you will disagree for the sake of disagreement, but the answer is tactical. The first to crack loses their stake in the gamble.

Its a little harsh to say I am disagreeing for the sake of disagreement! I feel you are giving the bowling mechanics more credit than it deserves.
Heres an answer and why too!

In reality, at the start of innings the fielders are in so boundaries are expected, but so is edges with good bowling. If I have kept a balanced field, seldom would you find a player in a test match hitting over the fielders. I have left the field open in order for the batsman to go for shots and edges to happen, if that doesnt happen lets assume the batsman is in good form, I change the field and still the batsman finds an overly aggressive shot instead of playing the period out.

I have never seen bowling teams punished for bowling to their fields and bowling to a good plan. The logic being the batsman will play it out. But do they in this regard? No they just force a boundary even when there isnt one there. Lastly, yes! every now and then there is that 1 partnership that just kills the bowlers in a series, A SERIES, in the game every innings has that 1 partnership it seems which will score.

Lastly, the game corrects itself, understands its bugginess and gives a sense of equilibrium. Twice in 5 match test series re enacting the current ones I have found that the last wicket pair chasing 404 has gone from 255/9 to 402/9 and lost a wicket for my team to win with 1 wicket. What does that mean? I actually believe every game is an Edgbasaton epic?

inertSpark

Associate Captain
The game gives you all sorts of options mate. Line and length, faster balls, slower balls, swing, seam, spin, drift, flight. Not to mention bowling over/round the wicket as well as changing the delivery angle by bowling closer to the ump or wider in the crease. Not to mention the ability to customise the field to coax batsmen into playing shots they cant make. Formulate a plan of attack based on the wealth of options available, and eventually you'll start seeing results I guarantee.

To say that confidence and strengths/weaknesses don't work would be disingenuous, since I honestly don't see even half the 'problems' that you have described. When I bowl pace I get lbw, bowled, caught in the outfield, or nicked behind. The same goes for spin too, and I generate a lot of nicks off the bat too.

Use your understanding of your own bowler's strengths and weaknesses to counteract those of the batsmen. If you're tossing to a batsman who is weak at driving, then don't give him your worst delivery as it'll still go to the boundary. Quite true in reality too, but reality gives you less information to plan with. Its stalemate 101. As I said before, the first to crack loses their stake.

jerbeen

School Cricketer
Hey guys, I'm new to the game and relatively new to cricket in general so please excuse me if this is a stupid question: when I bowl with good fast or medium-fast bowlers (5 stars), the normal good length delivery is almost always a bit wide of off stump and pitches above the wickets. I know you can use the right stick to try to correct the line, but can you do anything to make it bounce less high? It seems the only chance I have of bowling anyone is with yorkers.

This happens whether I use seam or swing or the leg or off cutters. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Its not so much that the RAS can be used to correct the line, more that it is used to determine the line, period. If the ball is going wide it's because its being aimed incorrectly. As for bounce, that is determined when you time the release. Earlier releases pitch fuller and will bounce less, late releases will be a shorter length and will bounce more.

jerbeen

School Cricketer
Its not so much that the RAS can be used to correct the line, more that it is used to determine the line, period. If the ball is going wide it's because its being aimed incorrectly. As for bounce, that is determined when you time the release. Earlier releases pitch fuller and will bounce less, late releases will be a shorter length and will bounce more.

Right, but even when I go straight with the RAS it's still wide. And even when I pull up the RAS at the earliest possible moment in the green it still bounces above the stumps.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
Right, but even when I go straight with the RAS it's still wide. And even when I pull up the RAS at the earliest possible moment in the green it still bounces above the stumps.

It depends whether you truly are pulling the stick up dead straight. The bowling meter has a left/center/right indicator at the bottom which shows what the stick position was for that delivery. Even a potentially small deviation can have a big effect depending on the angle of delivery.

Angle of delivery: This means how close to the umpire/how far from the umpire you deliver the ball from. A central delivery position will result in a straighter line , whilst a wider delivery will travel across the batsman at a steeper angle. Use LAS whilst selecting the delivery type to change this.

As for bounce. If your bowler is tall, I have noticed that there is more bounce. This is because you are releasing from a higher point and hence is steeper. You might need to release slightly early on hard pitches where there is a lot of bounce. This leads me to pitch condition. Greener pitches wont bounce as much but hard pitches will bounce a lot even on a good length. You need to adjust the delivery to compensate.

See below:

53dMjyy.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Westindies

Club Captain
i learnt the trade of fast bowling on the first day itself, but spin took some time and i am doing it quite well, but can we bowl Afridi 120km delivery or samuels 120 km delivery? :D

Isn't it the left analogue stick to choose the release angle when selecting delivery type....if it is RAS...then I've been wasting my time choosing release angle for past 3 months!!! (playing on 360 version).

Last edited:

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Isn't it the left analogue stick to choose the release angle when selecting delivery type....if it is RAS...then I've been wasting my time choosing release angle for past 3 months!!! (playing on 360 version).
There's two separate things that seem to have been confused in that image - there's the angle of approach - which is the left stick prior to starting the delivery - hold it left or right when you hit A/B/Y to start to get closer or further from the stumps.

The visualisation there of the three positions on the crease are all decided at the point of starting your run, not at release.

The release angle is on the right stick, as you push up to do the release, pushing it slightly to the left or right controls the ball a bit more. With spinners you can be a bit more extreme with how much to the left or right you go, while with pace, you'll probably bowl a wide if you're not within a very small window.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread