Bowling Guide!

Jadel

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'm hoping Big Ant can make a few sales from that alone.

Doesnt make me want to buy it, pisses me off actually

Its like alt f4 to show fps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 9102

while with pace, you'll probably bowl a wide if you're not within a very small window.
Actually right now my 'stock ball' online is to bowl an inswinger where my RAS flick for aiming is way off to the side, as far as it goes or very close to that.

The swing brings it back enough so that it's not classed as a wide, and many people online like to slog straight or to the leg side and it has a high success rate, but with this they are forced to play across it if they want to do that (and likely miss), or play out of their comfort zone and towards my predominantly off side field.

If I get the feeling that they get used to it and are starting to premeditate it by solely going for off side shots, I'll start one from a bit wider on the crease and less wide which swings back to hit middle and leg, got many LBWs and bowled doing this.

zaff4444

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Actually right now my 'stock ball' online is to bowl an inswinger where my RAS flick for aiming is way off to the side, as far as it goes or very close to that.

The swing brings it back enough so that it's not classed as a wide, and many people online like to slog straight or to the leg side and it has a high success rate, but with this they are forced to play across it if they want to do that (and likely miss), or play out of their comfort zone and towards my predominantly off side field.

If I get the feeling that they get used to it and are starting to premeditate it by solely going for off side shots, I'll start one from a bit wider on the crease and less wide which swings back to hit middle and leg, got many LBWs and bowled doing this.
Hmmm...........;)

D

Deleted member 9102

Also be sure to throw in bouncers to hit the batsman - if people try to play a cut shot on them it is likely to work and I think this brings the batsman's confidence down which makes timing/attacking more difficult... It can even deflect onto the stumps if you're lucky.

I've played quite a few people online who bowl pretty much every single ball at middle stump... Unless you are playing an absolute beginner this is neither a good wicket taking or economical strategy.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
During the tutorials, pressing a button brings up the different deliveries that are available - is there a way to see that display during an actual match? There are so many deliveries, I find it hard to remember what each direction does.

Slowly, bit by bit I am getting the hang of bowling and for sure it's miles better than the traditional method of dropping a square where you want to bowl the ball and it also eliminates 'death balls' - those balls that are 100% guaranteed to take a wicket every time. Good job, Big Ant. It's not perfect, it needs refining but it's a great start.

D

Deleted member 9102

During the tutorials, pressing a button brings up the different deliveries that are available - is there a way to see that display during an actual match? There are so many deliveries, I find it hard to remember what each direction does.

Slowly, bit by bit I am getting the hang of bowling and for sure it's miles better than the traditional method of dropping a square where you want to bowl the ball and it also eliminates 'death balls' - those balls that are 100% guaranteed to take a wicket every time. Good job, Big Ant. It's not perfect, it needs refining but it's a great start.
That diagram showing the delivery types is in the manual - you could always print out the page and refer to it during play. The manual is actually very useful for this game.

For pace bowling I think it's quite easy to remember

LAS up = straight seam
LAS up+left/right = out/in swing
LAS left/right = cross seam
LAS down = slower ball
LAS down+left/right = leg/off cutters

Hold LB/RB for slower/faster delivery.

I found the spin bowling controls harder to remember, but it comes with practice.

AL_Amin

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
How do the spinners bowl the faster deliveries (almost like a medium pacer) in Career mode and how can i bowl like that with my Career spinner?

zaff4444

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Dont give zaff any tips,hell use them against me.

Lol you'd still win though :lol. P:S-btw! Is the jaraarrow boomerang delivery an inswinging yorker delivery? ;)

Last edited:

jerbeen

School Cricketer
It depends whether you truly are pulling the stick up dead straight. The bowling meter has a left/center/right indicator at the bottom which shows what the stick position was for that delivery. Even a potentially small deviation can have a big effect depending on the angle of delivery.

Angle of delivery: This means how close to the umpire/how far from the umpire you deliver the ball from. A central delivery position will result in a straighter line , whilst a wider delivery will travel across the batsman at a steeper angle. Use LAS whilst selecting the delivery type to change this.

As for bounce. If your bowler is tall, I have noticed that there is more bounce. This is because you are releasing from a higher point and hence is steeper. You might need to release slightly early on hard pitches where there is a lot of bounce. This leads me to pitch condition. Greener pitches wont bounce as much but hard pitches will bounce a lot even on a good length. You need to adjust the delivery to compensate.

See below:

53dMjyy.png
[/IMG]

Thanks for this. I've been playing around with this for a couple of days -- I'm reasonably happy with the aim now but I still can't for the life of me get a good length delivery with a fast bowler that hits the stumps heightwise, they're all still too high. Even if I hit up on right stick at the earliest possible moment in the green zone.

This is frustrating as the only chance I have of getting someone out bowled or LBW is with a full length delivery.

inertSpark

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
  4. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Thanks for this. I've been playing around with this for a couple of days -- I'm reasonably happy with the aim now but I still can't for the life of me get a good length delivery with a fast bowler that hits the stumps heightwise, they're all still too high. Even if I hit up on right stick at the earliest possible moment in the green zone.

This is frustrating as the only chance I have of getting someone out bowled or LBW is with a full length delivery.

Tbh a lot depends on where you are playing your career. Playing mine in England, there's the occasional hard surface that bounces a lot, but for the most part the bounce is about stump height on a good length. I'd imagine things might be a bit tougher in Aus though!

That said, you can always try to bowl full length with a late delivery. That ought to keep the ball down a bit, whilst not being too full. Try experimenting with the jump timing too, in order to influence your bowler's placement and momentum. If you jump earlier, then naturually due to the bowling action, effectively this would put more distance between your hand and the pitch of the ball. This can manufacture the effect of a full delivery whilst still keeping it a good length to the batsman.

Remember too that bowler height might be an issue too. A tall bowler will have a natural tendency to bang the ball into the surface. Fast bowlers don't necessarly have to be very tall (Darren Gough was relatively short at 5 foot 9), so long as their arm speed is good. Then you have some of the West Indians who were very tall, and look at the bounce they could generate!

Last edited:

jerbeen

School Cricketer
Tbh a lot depends on where you are playing your career. Playing mine in England, there's the occasional hard surface that bounces a lot, but for the most part the bounce is about stump height on a good length. I'd imagine things might be a bit tougher in Aus though!

That said, you can always try to bowl full length with a late delivery. That ought to keep the ball down a bit, whilst not being too full. Try experimenting with the jump timing too, in order to influence your bowler's placement and momentum. If you jump earlier, then naturually due to the bowling action, effectively this would put more distance between your hand and the pitch of the ball. This can manufacture the effect of a full delivery whilst still keeping it a good length to the batsman.

Remember too that bowler height might be an issue too. A tall bowler will have a natural tendency to bang the ball into the surface. Fast bowlers don't necessarly have to be very tall (Darren Gough was relatively short at 5 foot 9), so long as their arm speed is good. Then you have some of the West Indians who were very tall, and look at the bounce they could generate!

Maybe I should have specified -- right now I'm just doing casual games in amateur difficulty. Good thinking re the pitch conditions and the bowler's height and the left stick, I'll have a play around and see what works.

LP19

School Cricketer
can someone help me, can't seem to be able to get the release correct, keep bowling wides.

Users who are viewing this thread