Bowling Guide!

Rabin

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
The thing I find hardest about bowling is in non-career games.

You bowl an over with the RH fast/medium bowler which you understand, then a LH finger spinner pops up and your brain is going "Whuh? Umm... which way do I turn the stick for him? Do the controls work the same way round for ball selection? Help!!" :D

I usually am just getting used to what to do with him when the over ends and I'm back on the fast bowler again.

Then later in the match you have a RH wrist spinner and it all starts again :rolleyes

Probably just old age on my part - you youngsters will all just be laughing...

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
^^^
Naah. We share your pain. There was a casual match I played after playing career mode for a long time and I didn't know how to bowl and was stuck for a couple of mins with the bowler at the top of his run up. My career player was primarily a batsman who bowled occasional wrist spin so totally lost touch of how to bowl pace.

Does initiating the delivery 'jump' meter as late as possible make any difference to the quality of the delivery that is bowled? Or does it just place the bowlers front foot nearer the delivery line (is it called the popping crease?).

Alberts

International Coach
believe it affects pace

Pace, bounce and to an extent it should also affect length (depending on the mechanics in game, I haven't tested it thoroughly). The further back the delivery, the further it has to go (so more reaction time and less pace) and the smaller the angle with the pitch (hence less bounce can be extracted from better lengths).

Bware

Club Cricketer
Getting decent turn now. Still only 16, and my drift stat is just above halfway. Future is looking bright! I know it looks like it hit the cracks (although I was aiming for them I swear!), but I'm not sure that has/had much of an effect

K5b9iw6l.jpg
Gf4snR5l.jpg

tandy45

Club Captain
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I was wondering, during a career game how do you guys formulate a bowling plan? In a casual/tour match it's quite easy because I can get x bowler to bowl on the off stump and Y bowler to bowl onto leg stump. However during career having control of only one bowler makes this slightly difficult. I've tried to combat this by bowling x amount of deliveries inswinging to off stump, then the odd one out-swinging from leg. Anybody have any other methods?.

Alberts

International Coach
I was wondering, during a career game how do you guys formulate a bowling plan? In a casual/tour match it's quite easy because I can get x bowler to bowl on the off stump and Y bowler to bowl onto leg stump. However during career having control of only one bowler makes this slightly difficult. I've tried to combat this by bowling x amount of deliveries inswinging to off stump, then the odd one out-swinging from leg. Anybody have any other methods?.

One I tend to use is close to the stumps, line of off stump, a bit of outswing, with the odd delivery without swing further away from the stump. I've got some good results with variations on that.

Use of the crease in this game is subtle, but seems to be quite handy.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
My problems with spinning the ball persists. This is what I do.
I select the length, the delivery with left stick, rotate the stick three time mostly stopping in the green zone and then push RS up for direction. The maximum spin I got is 430.
What the hell I am doing wrong.

jaraarrow

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
My problems with spinning the ball persists. This is what I do.
I select the length, the delivery with left stick, rotate the stick three time mostly stopping in the green zone and then push RS up for direction. The maximum spin I got is 430.
What the hell I am doing wrong.

You release the right stick at the end of your third rotation.
Also dont start rotating until the release bowling meter is just past halfway.

ellgieff

Club Captain
Getting decent turn now. Still only 16, and my drift stat is just above halfway. Future is looking bright! I know it looks like it hit the cracks (although I was aiming for them I swear!), but I'm not sure that has/had much of an effect

K5b9iw6l.jpg
Gf4snR5l.jpg

I'm pretty sure that hitting the cracks has an in-game effect in terms of turn.

kashan123999

has said thanks for this post
Hello there i have a query

can anyone link me to the guide about what the fuss is with spin,i try to spin a leg-break but it always always turns out a googly,wtf is that?And Yes I am doing the basics right choosing the right direction of LAS etc and rotating it Aswell,I don't know sometimes it spins like crazy and at other times it just doesn't spins and mostly when it spins it is in opposite direction

shan111

Associate Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I've been experimenting with a particular bowling strategy to induce edges. I've got it to work in match practice so far. Just started a test match with SAF against ZIM at Durban on a Green, Hard surface on Veteran difficulty. So far I've got 3 caught behind of Steyn. One each from back-foot straight drive, back-foot defense shot and front-foot cover drive. In between that, I had innumerable LBW shouts along with plenty of play and misses. I've got to verify this strategy on few more matches to really confirm that it actually works and not a placebo. It's all about simple disciplined bowling really and there's no involvement of any exploits.
Lets see how it goes from here. If it really works, I'll be sure to let you guys know.

EDIT: Just got the 4th one. Now Kallis joins the party as he induces an edge to WK!

Last edited:

Cobhamcc

Banned
Best way to bowl in patch 2 is to keep bowling down the corridor of uncertainty. For the uneducated, just short of a length out side off stump seam up. Occasionally varying the length and swing. That means one or two deliveries an over that are different to straight seam.

You will get wickets this way.If your a quick bowler. For spin I will post later when I create one in career mode

Users who are viewing this thread