'Bring on the lousy pitches'

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Bring on the lousy pitches | Page 2 | Cricinfo.com

During the changeover period the batsmen took over, completely. They got the ropes in on the outfield. They got bigger bats. Took out the bouncers. Insisted on walking out covered by a mattress. Softened the balls. And only batted on pitches that wouldn't hurt, embarrass or dismiss them.

Now when they have to bowl on a pitch with real life they cry like little babies.

"Oh the ball jumped up".

"Ouchie, I wasn't expecting that".

"Stop it, you're hurting me".

Get over it. Every damn pitch in world cricket is made so that batsmen dominate and bowlers end up as sad cripples drooling on ugly cardigans, twitching in the corner of old age homes.

Enough.

I agree. Let's see the batters struggle a little. Let's see the fight back in the bowlers hearts, some assistance from the pitches and the fear in the strikers eyes. I can guarantee you it's a lot more entertaining than seeing them hit ugly cross batted shots for four all day long.

P

pcfan123

If this is regarding the Kotla pitch then its an exaggeration. That pitch was unplayable. I do agree though with the gist of the article. I want uncovered pitches!

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The stats of the bests bowlers in 2009 on the Australia vs Pakistan game just confirmed this. 28 was the best average. O'Brien averaged 40. Pitches are way to batsmen friendly.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Incredible that Johnson is still possibly the best bowler. 60@28, 11 more wickets than Swann at second.

Siddle is third, what a gun!

Harishan

Club Cricketer
Interesting article there and it raises a very valid point. Cricket should be a battle between both bat and ball not just batsmen dominating all the time which has become quite common recently and I'd like to see some pitches where the bowler gets the upper hand and the batsmen will have to fight hard for runs.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
You should not be able to tellthe difference between the outfield and the pitch, at least thenthe bowlers won't be hit to pieces off good balls.

khalek

Panel of Selectors
The stats of the bests bowlers in 2009 on the Australia vs Pakistan game just confirmed this. 28 was the best average. O'Brien averaged 40. Pitches are way to batsmen friendly.

Exactly, that is shocking tbh and even more shocking is that even a target of 550 doesn't seem to be enough to defend nowadays.

Owzat

International Coach
Completely agree with this. Test Cricket needs life!

All about ???? these days. "They don't make 'em like they used to" applies to so much, what incentive is there for PC or car manufacturers to make reliable products when that means their customer only buys a new one every 7-10 years? They produce the components on the cheap so they can maximise profit.

As for cricket, well the TV people want a five day Test and so do the grounds who have to fork out refunds for days that don't get played. Screw the cricket, let's make money and you will get enough results to keep the paying public happy.

But why don't they just play ODIs to make up any days a Test falls short? The players would be on the field anyway if it did last five days, or you could have a few players to come in and play for the older pros.

I agree with having a more even contest, pitches that aren't so flat the bowlers may as well be bowling machines, but I also reckon they should have seniors Tests. Let's have West Indies legends vs England legends. Doesn't have to be full pelt, but I think I'd rather watch the likes of Richards, Botham etc in a relatively friendly game of cricket than some of the overpaid primadonnas of today

chiranjitpathak

School Cricketer
This topic is very interesting . I think there should be pitches where their is some help for the bowlers because it gets quite boring when the batsmen are making century after century and bowlers are being smashed . There should be a balance between bat and bowl for the game to develop but the authorities are only interested in making money , money and more money.

sami ullah khan

Panel of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I would like to see a pitch that ensures good competition between bat and ball. I do not want to see 350 posted every other match and getting chased down. It is a travesty. I personally enjoy watching good bowling rather than batters thrashing it all around the park.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
In reference to the Kotla wicket it reminds me when the first test between England and the Windies was abandoned in the late nineties.I think it was Kingston.Brian Lara made a comment about the English batsmen being soft and that if the Windies had batted first they would have just got on with it. In the very next test while Lara was batting, Caddick (I think) bowled one straight into Mr Lara's bollocks, down he went and justice was served......

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
I would like to see more of these "lousy pitches". At the end of the day all cricket needs is a good competition between bat and bowl. Nobody likes to see the bowlers being hammered around the park :facepalm

AshesXII

Club Cricketer
i agree with that

there no assistance for the bowlers in these pitches these days:facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread