Champions League Wins.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Only when there's $2.7mil involved :)

Nah it's still ████. I barely watched any of this lolol.

Pak_cricketer

Chairman of Selectors
Ok, let's analyze why the attendance is so good in India.

1. The population of India is around 1.2 Billion (census estimate, it's probably more)
2. The country is obsessed with cricket.

There's no doubt they went ahead with the IPL, since exploiting the Indian market was something that was bound to happen.

I'm all in favor of this champions league idea, the concepts been around for a while. But people need to realize that an average person outside India has no interest of watching any Indian domestic cricket.

formula1man

International Cricketer
I thought it was great. It was a great concept and I hope to watch it more often. If the IPL dissappeared this would be even more exciting. I loved watching NSW and Victoria.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
What dignity and self respect did IPL exactly kill, except show the world that Cricket isn't all about tea and crumpets?

And what hole are you non-Paki IPL haters coming out of? Hate all you want but even you know for a fact its a model like IPL or IPL itself that will make the sport of cricket more popular one day. Can't deny that.

Its just begun but :
List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let IPL move up to 256 games played and take over NFL's attendance. HA!

Most people I know that aren't massive cricket fans don't know what the IPL is, and probably don't care. Yet they'll watch international matches involving New Zealand and Australia during the summer, can't say the IPL has done anyting to increase the popularity of cricket in New Zealand. I dare say the IPL hasn't increased the popularity of cricket in NZ, England or Australia.

Prithvi

10 years at Planetcricket
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
32,000 people attended to watch the final match in a stadium that has a seating capacity of 40,000 - To watch two foreign domestic CLUBS which they didn't know even existed a month ago, play cricket. If that isn't a success in every sense of the word, I don't know what it. But then again I've seen a bunch of anti-IPL, T20 posts from you before.

Compare this to the attendance Australia vs New Zealand got for their final in CT, and that same place saw full houses for nearly all IPL2 games. Sure worldwide TV interest may not have been as great for CLT20 but given majority of the cricket crowd heard names like "Trinidad and Tobago" and "Diamond Eagles" for the first time, the interest wasn't that far behind a major ODI tourny like CT. Give it 5 years and see what hypes and rivalries it generates then if it did so much the first time.

Both the fields are wrong.
Its 52K people who attended and its 55K capacity.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think the IPL should reduce its international player quota in the XI to 2 while playing the Champions League. This way, you can have more Indian players and it will have more of a domestic feel to it than looking like a mixed team.

I think the concept is going to grow. I feel that the second edition is going to show a noticeable jump in interest and attendance wherever it is held. The first version was ike a warmup since we were getting used to the idea of domestic teams having their own international tournament. And also, the players looked new but next time, they will be more familiar. I wish next time, its held in places like South Africa, Australia, NZ, etc.

Last edited:

BanglaExpress

School Cricketer
I only watched the semi-finals and the final of the torunament. Apart from the crowds being pretty much empty and the format being twenty/20 I think the tournament has been better than I would have thought.

rahuldravidfan

International Cricketer
32,000 people attended to watch the final match in a stadium that has a seating capacity of 40,000 - To watch two foreign domestic CLUBS which they didn't know even existed a month ago, play cricket. If that isn't a success in every sense of the word, I don't know what it. But then again I've seen a bunch of anti-IPL, T20 posts from you before.

Compare this to the attendance Australia vs New Zealand got for their final in CT, and that same place saw full houses for nearly all IPL2 games. Sure worldwide TV interest may not have been as great for CLT20 but given majority of the cricket crowd heard names like "Trinidad and Tobago" and "Diamond Eagles" for the first time, the interest wasn't that far behind a major ODI tourny like CT. Give it 5 years and see what hypes and rivalries it generates then if it did so much the first time.

What dignity and self respect did IPL exactly kill, except show the world that Cricket isn't all about tea and crumpets?

And what hole are you non-Pakistani IPL haters coming out of? Hate all you want but even you know for a fact its a model like IPL or IPL itself that will make the sport of cricket more popular one day. Can't deny that.

Its just begun but :
List of attendance figures at domestic professional sports leagues - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Let IPL move up to 256 games played and take over NFL's attendance. HA!

Awesome replies there. Have some reps. :)

Users who are viewing this thread