Changing Teams Tutorial

Cottager

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I thought this might be helpful, because firstly a lot of people aren't aware of the ability to change teams, and secondly there's plenty I'm not capable of and I would love to know how to take this further.

What will you need? A hex editor. Mine is this one here (Hex Workshop). I have never tried another one to be honest.

The steps (do not follow these until you have read what is possible, you could be destroying a game. in fact, don't try this on a save file that you actually care about until you have practiced it on one or two dummy files):

1. Load the .cap file in the hex editor
2. Locate on the right hand side where it says the team that you are

3. On the right hand side, you should see your name, then a dot, then the team you are. Click so that you have clicked just before the dot. Then on the right (in the data inspector section) you should see uint8 and then a number to the right of it. That number is how many letters is in your current team. Click on that number and change that to the number of letters in your desired team (you will need to work this out clearly). Press enter when you have put in the new value

4. Type Ctrl+H. Put "Type" as Text String. Type your old team's name next to "Find". Type your new team's name next to "Replace". Click replace all.

5. Save and load your game. Should be done.

What is possible:

I really do recommend moving at the end of a season. This might take some planning, but the fixtures changing is definitely not an exact science, and games have also been corrupted from time to time. So yes, definitely recommend this.

It is possible to change from an english team to an english team. It is possible to change australian team to australian team but only after the contract stage of the season. It is possible to change the difficulty from easy to hard (this is done by changing a 02 that comes not long after the team name on the left hand side to a 03). It is possible to change nations, although I've not really looked into this. I tried changing from England to Ireland. it sort of worked, but at the same time things weren't quite right (never got to choose squads, couldn't change the teams for matches).

If people could try what I've said here, and maybe play around with things or try to understand things so that we can make this possible, I believe the game would be better for it. Quite often I've gotten into situations where a file has gotten stale, and I'd like to look for maybe a bit more of a challenge at a worse team. This would allow that if we could work on this a little. So hopefully everyone can understand everything above and we can work together a little like we did for the editor.

Last edited:

satishmania

International Coach
Hi Cottager, I am currently playing with Victoria and I was successfully able to change to Tasmania with your above mentioned method.. going to experiment more. This looks like fun :)

satishmania added 2 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

From Tasmania I then switched to Somerset (same letters) successfully.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'll get started on this :D If I can get it to change nations, then I wouldn't have to make many versions of my patch :)

Cottager

Club Cricketer
blimey yeah, that's a decent bonus that I didn't think of.

satish, when you changed to somerset what happened? did you get fixtures?

Chewie

BCCI President
Yea I wouldn't think going from Australian to English county would work. Just like going from International -> County probably wouldn't work either.

Cottager

Club Cricketer
yeah I've just tested it and it just broke at the stage where I think it would've expected me to do contracts. I'd say we first try to investigate changes within each different category before trying fancy things like a change of country, a change from or to international or a change to something like ireland.

the game also didn't understand unicorns :D

Cottager

Club Cricketer
I'm starting to think the steps aren't quite right for this version of ICC - I'm trying this on ICC2010. just that 01 that comes after the team name somewhere. maybe it's not meant to be moved. not quite sure

Chewie

BCCI President
I tried to change from Durham to Kent by inserting some extra strings, but that didn't work.

Chewie added 18 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

I tried changing from New Zealand to West Indies. All it does is change what it says my team is, and highlights the West Indies matches as mine, but I get to choose the New Zealand squads, playing XI's and play the matches as them. So it really doesn't do anything.

Chewie added 1 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Oh new development! New Zealand got knocked out in the first round, but West Indies didn't and I now control West Indies in the T20 World Cup

Chewie added 10 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

And all matches further on are West Indies it would seem.

I also tried changing to Australia, however that didn't work.

Chewie added 1 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

But for West Indies you don't get to select the squads, and it keeps on showing the NZ fixtures

Chewie added 1 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

The computer did pick a pretty accurate squad however, thanks to my ratings:

Gayle, Barath, Chanderpaul, Sarwan, Samuels, Ramdin, Bravo, Hinds, Deonarine, Sammy, Taylor, Benn, Jaggernauth, Roach, Edwards

Chewie added 4 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

And it said for some reason New Zealand win the test series against West Indies, when it should be West Indies win the test series against South Africa

Chewie added 6 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

You basically play both the NZ and the WI games, with the NZ ones taking priority.

Cottager

Club Cricketer
I have edited the original post with what I've found. firstly is that you don't want to mess around with the 01 after the name in the hex editor - it should just stay in the position that it would've previously. So I think if people were following my steps they might have been breaking games before, but now it's fine going by the steps.

The second more important thing is that it is possible to change teams in the Australian league AS LONG AS you do it after the contract stage of the season. so you have to click through the winter and click through the contract stage, and then you're able to do it. Of course, if you want to have the winter and contract stage at your new team, you'll have to have some foresight and change teams immediately after the final game of the last season

satishmania

International Coach
I have edited the original post with what I've found. firstly is that you don't want to mess around with the 01 after the name in the hex editor - it should just stay in the position that it would've previously. So I think if people were following my steps they might have been breaking games before, but now it's fine going by the steps.

The second more important thing is that it is possible to change teams in the Australian league AS LONG AS you do it after the contract stage of the season. so you have to click through the winter and click through the contract stage, and then you're able to do it. Of course, if you want to have the winter and contract stage at your new team, you'll have to have some foresight and change teams immediately after the final game of the last season

But can we change from an Australian State to an English County? I was able to do that(from Victoria to Somerset) during the Aussie season but just before the start of the English season the game crashes...

Cottager

Club Cricketer
right, I've sorted out the original post because there's a different hex editor and it allows you to change from any length of name to any length of name (still not sure about moving from australia to england, or club to country). so using that hex editor, and following the really easy steps, this is all great now.

Going to need to work out the other stuff though

Cottager

Club Cricketer
I've changed the link in the post to be the actual download link I think. if that doesn't work, just google hex workshop. but it should work

Chewie

BCCI President
Ok cool :D I'll try this out when I get home, hopefully this works better than my last attempts :)

Chewie added 0 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

oh btw, when changing countries do you still play the original team's games, and not pick your new teams squads?

Users who are viewing this thread