Chucking tests don't work

Jarryd

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
With Johan Botha reported for chucking, the West Australian testing lab has been bought up again. It's my opinion that this way of testing bowlers doesn't work. If they are being tested for chucking, they're hardly going to bowl at full pace just so there is no chance of them going over 15 degrees. They're should be some way of testing using match footage, because chuckers are getting off time and time again with testing the way it is now. Don't believe me? The West Australian, a newspaper over here in Aus, had a report the other day. It said that Murali bowls with a 14.9 degree flex at 45kms per hour in the testing lab, compared to his 80KMS PER HOUR IN MATCHES.

The system don't work.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
On the other hand, Botha sucks at bowling so much, the biomechanics lab might just be able to teach him a few things about how to improve his technique.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
Yeah he'd be a better bowler if he listened to some of the stuff Richie Benaud has mentioned about his technique and why he doesn't spin it much.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
For once I agree with mr.Jarryd. This entire testing process is just a waste of time, and pretty much pointless. The only way we can detect if a bowler is chucking or not is by monitoring his action without him being aware of it.

So if someday we can get some kind of technology that kind monitor the arm movement of the bowlers during a game, then it would be better and worthwhile.

tassietiger

International Cricketer
If my action was under scrutiny, then I'd be pretty careful to keep a straight arm during testing.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
m_vaughan said:
So if someday we can get some kind of technology that kind monitor the arm movement of the bowlers during a game, then it would be better and worthwhile.
Thing is, they do have that technology.

They used it during the ICC Champions Trophy in 2004, where they found that the only bowler who didn't straighten his arm to some degree was Shivnarine Chanderpaul.

I'd say, just use that technology on a random basis. We have random drug tests, why not random tests for this?

Thing is, it doesn't matter how many tests clear Murali, Jarryd will still insist that he chucks.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
They used it during the ICC Champions Trophy in 2004, where they found that the only bowler who didn't straighten his arm to some degree was Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
Lol! :rtfl
It makes sense seeing his bowling action :)

Jarryd

Club Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:
Thing is, it doesn't matter how many tests clear Murali, Jarryd will still insist that he chucks.
When he's just under the limit going at half pace, one has to wonder how on earth he would be under the limit bowling at full pace.

s2sschan

Club Cricketer
This chucking controversy is garbage. Batsmen don't have to be 100% technically correct. So why impose perfection on bowlers? They should let bowlers use whichever action they like. Why just punish Botha and Shabbir Ahmed? Quite a few bowlers have "interesting" actions, Murali, Brett Lee, Harbhajan, and Shoaib Akhtar being the prominent ones.
Make the cricket pitch 24 yards and let bowlers use any action they like. The game will become more even. It's too batsmen friendly now.

Stephen Bailey

Executive member
Profile Flag
England
s2sschan said:
Make the cricket pitch 24 yards and let bowlers use any action they like. The game will become more even. It's too batsmen friendly now.

You may as well you a baseball pitcher then and I for one wouldn't want that. Batsmen don't get an unfair advantage if they have a less than sound technique, it tends to hinder them. If a bowler were a chucker, they could get an advantage as they could do more with the ball.

s2sschan said:
Batsmen don't have to be 100% technically correct. So why impose perfection on bowlers?

I wouldn't call putting a 15 degree restriction on them enforcing perfection...

s2sschan said:
They should let bowlers use whichever action they like. Why just punish Botha and Shabbir Ahmed?

Because they have been found guilty of chucking. Why change the rule again just for a few that can't use legal actions?

Last edited:

sachin

International Coach
Well,this sounds like another one of Jarryd's threads which in the end are about Murali and how he chucks.Get over it!@If there are genuine problems,it is unlikely that they have not looked at those problems.The people who look at the bowlers actions aren't stupid,and i'm quite sure they have the brain power to think about players slowing down,or changing their action during the testing procedure.

Sureshot

Executive member
It doesn't give a bowler an advantage anyway, or at least it wouldn't in most cases. Surely throwing it would make it harder to be as accurate?

Sman-21

Club Cricketer
Chucking helps a spin bowler by being able to get more spin on the ball than using a regular action.
Plus it allows them to be able to bowl different types of deliveries that are very hard to do for non chuckers.

hmmm nope no unfair advantage there is there.

With fast bowling a little bit of a bend in the elbow doesnt help at all go out and test this for yourself.
Roll your arm over and in the same action try and throw the ball
The only way it helps a fast bowler is if they completely bend there arm but there not gonna be able to hide that are they.

Dont forget the most important thing in muralis tests.
His suspicious ball that he chucks i believe is called his doosra.
His other deliveries are all supposed to be fine even though they look strange.
During his tests he was not made to bowl his doosra so therefore they couldnt test it.
All he bowled was his standard deliveries with little effort.
So why even waste the time testing.

The trouble with these crazy rules is that even if his action was considered illegal. They cant do a thing about it, its up to sri lanka to decide if he keeps playing or not.

Last edited:

Sureshot

Executive member
Sman-21 said:
Chucking helps a spin bowler by being able to get more spin on the ball than using a regular action.

Not with a finger spinner.

Users who are viewing this thread