Clarke named Australia's Twenty20 captain

Jakester1288

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Michael Clarke has been confirmed as Australia's new Twenty20 captain and Cameron White will step into the vice-captaincy following the retirement of Ricky Ponting from the format. Clarke was widely expected to take on the leadership and the decision was confirmed by Cricket Australia on Friday.

"I've learnt a lot from Ricky Ponting over the last few years and I'll continue to learn from him," Clarke said. "I'm really excited to lead Australia in the newest form of the game. We've got a young and enthusiastic group but we must recognise that we've got a lot of work to do in Twenty20 cricket and our recent form hasn't been good."

Clarke will have his sights set firmly on next year's ICC World Twenty20 in the Caribbean after Australia were eliminated during the group stage at this year's tournament. Clarke has captained Australia in three Twenty20 internationals and 15 one-day internationals.

"Michael has continued to grow as a player and a leader," Ponting said. "We have developed a strong working relationship and he has always led the team well in my absence. I am sure he will do a very good job with the Twenty20 team and I congratulate him and Cameron White on their appointments."

The appointment of White, 26, as the vice-captain comes during his most successful period in international cricket. He was preferred ahead of Brad Haddin and Michael Hussey for the full-time deputy's role and Cricket Australia's chief executive officer James Sutherland, said White was the right man for the job.

"Michael will be supported in the Twenty20 vice captaincy by Cameron White, whose leadership qualities have been to the fore in recent months and are currently on show at the Champions League Twenty20, where he is leading Victoria in that tournament," Sutherland said. Australia are not scheduled to play their next Twenty20 international until early next year.

Clarke named Australia's Twenty20 captain | Cricket News | Global | Cricinfo.com

Gun that Whites vice, Clarke shouldn't be the captain, as he isn't even warranted a position in the team in my books.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
No surprise they should have just said this after Ponting retired. Now for actually picking a side that knows how to play T20.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Yeah, we knew this would happen. White makes more sense, but he would need to be a more established player for them to be comfortable with the decision. If they're serious about making it work, Clarke should open the batting, perhaps moving Watson to 3, a position he is familiar with.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hodge is needed, for sure. Blokes like Harwood are good with the ball. Not Clarke, though.

Nannes and Hodge should be first on the list. If McDonald continues his form, he should be in there. And same for Henriques, if our selectors can pick him based on nothing then they should have no problem picking him in form.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I thought he was already the captain of twenty 20.Although he deserves to be the captain of the Australian side.He has a lot of potential and can really make Australian team one of the best,although Australia twenty team do not seem to have nice batsmen 's approximately there are just 2,3 batsmen 's who can really take match away from opposition in t20 Clarke can surely do some work with team.

Hellgood

School Cricketer
I don't really rate Clarke as a T20 player, brilliant ODI and test player, but would prefer for him to not play in the T20's. We really need to get guys like Hodge, D. Hussey and Nannes in the T20 team or we will continue to be average.

TumTum

International Cricketer
The fact that he is in the T20 team is worrying, how about give White the captaincy and bring in guys like Hodge, Henriques.

Test/ODI squad should be completely diffirent from T20 squad, except Lee and Watson.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Yeah, I don't like him i the T20 squad, but then again, it's only joke cricket!

piriyanth

International Cricketer
Clarke is too slow for T20s and should not be even playing in this format.

White would've been better option, but I'm happy he got the vice captaincy though.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
If White is not bowling Why's he in side?

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
He's a big hitter of the ball, that's why he's in the side.

Plus his bowling is useless anyway. I can't even remember the last time he bowled for Australia.

There would be some proper batsman going around.

Users who are viewing this thread